• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Cat Jamboree 2015

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
It is shaping up to be another pathetic snow year. This picture was taken on new years eve at 3000 ft. We have about 1 inch at the cabin which is at 3700 ft. This is about 10 miles north of Ellensburg on the way to Table mountain.

We will be there regardless of the snow. We had a great time last year just sitting in the parking lot around the fire pit. We have our room reserved.

We will bring hot drinks again with special adult antifreeze additives.

Attachments

• DSCF0753.jpg
    DSCF0753.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 274

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
hopefully , but it looks like our warm coastal weather is prevailing.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the link AJ. I looked at the SNOTEL site map and got all warm and fuzzy. The reason I was able to start my snocat service was to install SNOTEL sites for what was then the Soil Conservation Service. I see the Surprise Lakes and Bumping Ridge sites as names I remember. Most of the sites were in Oregon from border to border and over to Baker in the east of the state. The year was 1977 or 1978 when I started with SCS. The system has many sites all over the western states which measure both total precipitation and the water content of the snow pack for predicting flood, power generation and irrigation. The signals to the remote sites are reflected off of meteor bursts from the master computers in Boise and Ogden.

Looks like the passes got a big dump last night and some rain today. Hopefully just enough rain to establish a good base.

Here is a link to the WA Snotel site for those that haven't seen it.
http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/or/snow/?cid=nrcs142p2_046350

Well if 8" of snow (.37" SWE) then 3.5" of rain (so far) at Stevens, or 6" of snow then 6" of rain at Snoqualmie qualifies as "just enough to establish a good base" then I guess things are looking up. Meanwhile, at Leavenworth we got about 4" of snow, then an ice layer, then rain.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like the passes got a big dump last night and some rain today. Hopefully just enough rain to establish a good base.

Here is a link to the WA Snotel site for those that haven't seen it.
http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/nrcs/detail/or/snow/?cid=nrcs142p2_046350

Here are some photos of setting up the SNOTEL sites. Top left is in the Bull Run watershed which supplies drinking water to Portland OR. Cidertom better know where the bottom left is. Vanna orange has not always been orange.

Attachments

• SNOTEL photos.pdf
    404 KB · Views: 129

Sno-Surfer

I've wanted to go around the Bull Run area but think it's pretty off limits because of its water supply. Great photos. Looks like one is near Mt Adams?
I've been out in my Snow Trac at least once a week for the last couple months, sometimes with thin snow. It's starting to look better around here but we still need some snow.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've wanted to go around the Bull Run area but think it's pretty off limits because of its water supply. Great photos. Looks like one is near Mt Adams?
I've been out in my Snow Trac at least once a week for the last couple months, sometimes with thin snow. It's starting to look better around here but we still need some snow.

For sure you do not want to go into the Bull Run without permission. They take the drinking water very serious and fines that will make you want to provide bottled water to the entire city of Portland.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
got one more snow trac signed up for the jamboree.
earl from Algona Washington.
a 1962 that had one other owner Yukon power and light in Whitehorse.
it is the blue one
snowtrac1152012014.jpg

see you soon.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
For sure you do not want to go into the Bull Run without permission. They take the drinking water very serious and fines that will make you want to provide bottled water to the entire city of Portland.

(political statement)
But they are fighting covering the reservoirs where people pee and die in them on a regular basis.
(/political statement)

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK
I got the incorrect dates on them
23-25 Not 22-27th
sorry
It was caught before they were actually printed .

BV Boys

Yes, right here in good ol' Oroville. Sure hope the snow situation improves for the Jamboree, but if it doesn't, still looks like fun.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am heading up to a smaller town near Oroville after the jamboree. more snow up that way.

martinf

Hi all,
I both groom and maintain our Nordic clubs LMC 1800. I also own a 1944 weasel. Does that qualify me to be part of the gang? I live in chelan so it would be a shame for me to miss this. Unfortunately, I won't be able to trailer my weasel over to Leavenworth this year...hopefully next year, but I'll come on my to meet you folks tho.
Martin fleming

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
weasel you say, how kewl, does it run and be nice if you could post a couple pics, sure everyone would like that, come on over and enjoy the crew, great people, they might just grab a trailer and go pick up your rig. looking forward to meeting you

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
weasel qualifies it would be a hit.. we had a hombuilt cat last year. I am sure for a run in the snow may have some restrictions.

DSC01833.jpg

don't miss this event.
DSC01831.jpg

Last edited:

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Any updates on upcoming weather in Leavenworth area? Oregon Cascades have some, but definitely nothing too much to brag about. Hoping to make the event...

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi all,
I both groom and maintain our Nordic clubs LMC 1800. I also own a 1944 weasel. Does that qualify me to be part of the gang? I live in chelan so it would be a shame for me to miss this. Unfortunately, I won't be able to trailer my weasel over to Leavenworth this year...hopefully next year, but I'll come on my to meet you folks tho.
Martin fleming

Hi Martin, I will bring one of the Tuckers I groomed x-c trails in OR and WA with. It is home built stuff but did a good job. I used an accumulator to keep down pressure on the setter and can adjust the pressure depending on the type and depth of snow. See you there.

Attachments

• DSCN1965.jpg
    DSCN1965.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 216