• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Ford's new ALUMINUM F-150 truck

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FULL STORY + PHOTOS at link => Yahoo! FORD F-150 to have Aluminum body.
. . . the next version of the Ford F-150 pickup, the most profitable vehicle Ford sells and the most popular automobile in America. While it looks new, the biggest changes lie under the paint, where the body has been made from aluminum instead of steel — a costly yet revolutionary change that helps the new model shed 700 lbs. over the previous versions, and could give Ford years of dominance among truck buyers.

Think of it as "The Biggest Loser," pickup edition.

Under development for six years, Ford started almost from scratch in its designs — driven by a desire to future-proof its bellweather model against ever-increasing demands for fuel efficiency. And by making a radical switch to aluminum, Ford can then make other changes, like smaller engines, without weakening the F-150 or upsetting its loyal owners — at least in theory.

. . . .​
FULL STORY AT LINK ABOVE

Sounds like a game changer. :hammer:

But I loved some of the comments about how the aluminum BODY will stretch if you tow a 5th wheel and how the body will turn to powder if it gets road salt on it.

Last time I checked, Audi was making some aluminum luxury vehicles and I think Land Rover has been putting aluminum bodies on their most rugged vehicles for decades.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't buy the stretching from towing a 5th wheel. A properly installed hitch is attached to the frame. I guess only time will tell on the salt issue.
Mike

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
properly anodized that won't be a problem has any of your ar's turned to powder yet?the big problem I see Is the same problems land rover has and that is where the aluminum makes contact with steel rust will be an issue. I think it's a wonderful idea and wished I could get an aluminum body for my 89 dodge. also look at all the planes form the 50's still flying today none of them have turned to white powder and some of tehm are on floats flying on salt water.l

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Body work and frame damage repair after an accident is much more expensive, very few shops are qualified to work on aluminum body's and frames. you can count on the cost of repairs to total a lot of trucks sooner ........... but that may be Ford's plan all along.

on positive note,i have been welding a lot more aluminum parts for the shops that do not want to spend the money for a good TIG welder and training.

tystone48

I own a ford f150 I call it the big olvel. Ford circled the problem. ..lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk