• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wyoming tracked get together...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Powder River Pass in Wyoming 10-16-13 looking southeast toward the Hazelton Peaks. Opening week of big game hunting season and most of the big game such as elk and deer have already moved to lower elevations to find areas to feed because the snow is already early December deep in many places.

Drive by pics by a fart in the breeze!!!!!!! :whistling:

This is a worry to me...Crops went in late and we are going to be harvesting later than normal. Looks like winter maybe earlier than ususal. Could be a surprise and not a nice one if we get snow here before December.....

Regards, Kirk

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
not to mention 100,000+ head of cattle dead. From the blizzard that started this.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
SO is there still any snow in Wyoming?? Or did it melt with global warming?

Still looking forward to Febuary. Hope you folks are too.

Regards, Kirk

Cletis

a couple inches yesterday and overnight. Melted off some today. Everything is white but not deep. Only a couple inches around 8000+ft on the east side.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So I attended a avalanche preparedness training last weekend. I have reviewed the maps in this thread. ( can't say enough about Mountain Skillz) great people. www.mountainskillz.com

I have inquired about lodging.

Next step for me is to get some interest in the family and friends dept.

Is renting a snowmobile an option in the greater buffalo area.

a situation would be Me and the wife in a snow cat doing our thing. and my son and perhaps a friend coming along to do their own thing, snow board ski or rent a snow machine and take in the area.....

It appears that snowmobiling is organized in the areas around the big horns with plenty of wilderness areas as well..... Is the buffalo area a over subscribed destination for snow mobilers.
Is there skiing within a few hours in what ever direction.
We are fairly low maintenance family so we amuse easy...

My thoughts are it is the first year lets go see what it is about. the reality is i get greater support when the family is included.

thinking out loud.

Mike

Last edited:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the dates have changed to one week later than were we were. Due to high sled traffic in the area, we are now looking at the 19-22nd of Febuary. Should open up some lodging and less snowmobiles to worry about. Hope all who are planning to come can make the change...

Regards, Kirk

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You farmers are soft.(jk) Muddy cabin has a crapper heat and a fridge.

I like the buffalo-drive-the-cat to half the places idea.
MC and hauling a little firewood would/could be fun

I am entertaining this as a pilot/learning project. (No rules) that way I am never disapoointed.... after a tow anywhere but the van will be a nice place to be..... :cool:

Exactly! Make it an adventure! If nothing else, rent it to host a rustic mid-day happy hour!

caldonia

If my Nodwell is running as I hope it will, I would like to come over from Jackson Hole. Will keep and eye on this thread.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
If my Nodwell is running as I hope it will, I would like to come over from Jackson Hole. Will keep and eye on this thread.
please stay in contact with me as I can save you the pulling of the cat into buffalo. We can leave it with the others on the mtn.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I suppose it is time to dust this thread off. So who is going to be there besides me??:wink:

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am still a maybe who does not have a room reserved.

I have interest but unknowns in regards to my thesis project is killing me.

Who is staying where?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Giddy up.

I would like to experience some bottomless powder. ( in a snow cat)

We get deep snow, and I love getting sleds buried as much as the next guy.

But pictures of Reddog plowing around in deep fluff got me thinking about getting some seat time in (bottomless powder)

BTW is hero snow the kind of snow that any old snowmobiler can be a hero in...????

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes that is the definition of hero snow. But it is Wyoming if you don't like the weather wait a min it will change.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you guys keep on bragging we got 8 inches with 50 mph winds this weekend now by mid week it's supposed to get to 40 degrees again

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, but with out fanfair. We're unorganized, intentionally so...:ermm: Just so it looks like we are... This year anyway. Trial run this time.

Regards, Kirk

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
IF you are getting snow like we are you might have to cancel due to TOO MUCH SNOW !!!!!:unsure:

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, but with out fanfair. We're unorganized, intentionally so...:ermm: Just so it looks like we are... This year anyway. Trial run this time.

Regards, Kirk

Yup and the snow is really piling up now.... We need to talk Kirk. give me a shout if you can.