• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1968 Tucker 442 New to Me

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Exhaust Mock up looking nice. Picking it up tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_0911.jpg
    IMG_0911.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 689
  • IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_0910.jpg
    IMG_0910.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 688

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
B4B,

I don't know if I shared this with you but my second Tucker (1642) had the exhaust pipes running underneath the cab, before turning up and running vertically along the back of the cab.

There was so much heat from the exhaust that the previous owner (a mechanical moron, if ever there was one) had placed some pieces of a ceramic insulating material on top of the Tucker's floor and then did a very poor job of making another aluminum floor on top of the insulation. I'd be concerned about running the exhaust pipes close to the floor.

When we re-cabbed the Tucker the exhaust was one of the first things to go. I took it to a fellow who supposedly did quality exhaust work to have a new dual exhaust system made that came up along the A pillars (key word: supposedly).

It was an absolute mess. It looked like two people had worked on it, and neither looked at the others work while they were doing it. A dual exhaust system should look symmetrical. The bends should look similar, etc. This was awful. Nothing looked right.

I ended up removing the system and taking the clown to small claims court...yes, it WAS that bad.

So the day of the trial the defendant shows up with an attorney to represent him. The judge decides in my favor and then I have the "fun" of trying to collect.

I took the Tucker to the Meineke on South State Street in Salt Lake City. They did an absolutely awesome job of building a system. When the current Tucker project is ready, it's going there.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hoping the air gap should cover it. The picture does not show it well but there is 4" plus of air gap. I have been using it with the cut off exhaust that was on there and did not have any heat problems yet.

Will run it the weekend for the real test!!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thought I would update my progress. Got the seats ready to mount tonight. I think they look like they should be there. Galvi Unistrut worked well. Chrome fire extinguisher, temporary cup holder until new dashboard next year. Truck box for the back. Will start on head rack tonight to tie wood sides into. Doors went to sand blaster yesterday. Fixed small oil leak on timing cover (loose bolts). Got the drag ready.

JUST NEED SNOW!!!!!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pics

Attachments

• IMG_0949.jpg
    IMG_0949.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0947.jpg
    IMG_0947.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 643
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 646

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
pics

Attachments

• IMG_0945.jpg
    IMG_0945.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 645
  • IMG_0946.jpg
    IMG_0946.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_0944.jpg
    IMG_0944.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_0943.jpg
    IMG_0943.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 641
  • IMG_0942.jpg
    IMG_0942.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 639
  • IMG_0941.jpg
    IMG_0941.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_0939.jpg
    IMG_0939.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 643

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You are getting it looking so nice the back pontoons are screaming for some paint.:clap::clap:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know they look horrible and it kills me to leave them like that. They need to be redone like the fronts. The amount of time they took would have taken it off the snow for the winter. I hear it everyday from my friends and wife.

Small price to pay. Although with the snow drought I prob could have made it happen. Then I remember how much the pontoon repair sucked. Maybe they will be yellow for ever?

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
looking good !:wink: I think that once you get her running in the snow,the rear pontoons won't be such a big deal. Somewhere down the road,you'll get a chance to spray them.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Weekend Snowmobile plans melted away so got in some Tucker and John Deere time. Built the rear head rack and mounted the truck box and battery inside. Little more grinding welding and paint. Adding one more board on the side just next to the box so nobody falls out sitting on it.

We got a dusting of snow so I ran it around the yard with my son for 30 minutes or so. Nice having heat for a change. New exhaust is awesome quiet and no heat issues.

Just need my tank and doors now.!

Attachments

• IMG_0960.jpg
    IMG_0960.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 601
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 598
  • IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 596

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We need some real snow in the worst way. These little clipper squalls off the lakes are just a nuisance to try to plow or do much with. Tucker is looking real good and doors will make it nice when the wind is blowing like we are getting now. 3-4 inches of snow swirling all around while the sun shines.

WhiteMtnTucker

Havn't posted in a while, but I have been pecking away on her. Got some lettering and wood sideboards on in the last couple weeks. These are some shots before the big rain. NH Mountains in background.

Attachments

• Photo 4.jpg
    Photo 4.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 581
  • Photo 9.jpg
    Photo 9.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 578

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Better get those doors on. One to two feet coming Friday:clap:

WhiteMtn- Could you please snap some pictures of the roof line at the upper corners of the windshield (and corosponding areas on the inside)? My cab is exactly like B4B's with the fiberglass roof that drops into the top of the windshield. But when I enclose the rear, the entire roof will need to be redone in aluminum and I'm curious what the interior framework was on the metal roofs. Just post it on my thread http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=52430 so we don't cluter B4B's thread. Thanks!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Retrieved the primed hood and doors last night and put them on. Lexan side windows. Ready for snow Primer grey.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just in time. I'll be watching for you on WBZ since you'll be the only thing moving on 495 tomorrow!:biggrin: Wicked Blizzzzard!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds like it is coming together nice. There was just a thread on Tucker wipers last week.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tucker testing Approved. Got about 5 hours on it this weekend. Not as many pics or videos as I wanted but here is a start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAprFdBeng0"]IMG 0980 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crQzdDTVovI"]IMG 0982 - YouTube[/ame]

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Things learned:

1. Tracks will hit rear exhaust going over big banks.
2. Cab gets hot on 30 degree days need windows.
3. Wipers a must during snow.
4. Need the 35 gallon tank back asap. Gas Guzzler.
5. Watch for drag sliding around down hill and passing Tucker!!

Glad to get some use out of it to justify all the hard work.

Attachments

• IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 841
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 839

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad you got to run it in the deep stuff. There won't be too many like that in our lifetimes (around here anyway). :neutral: It's awesome it got to go work the way it was meant to!

Where are the tracks hitting the exhaust? The turndown or the muffler?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The turn down . We were running over some big plow
Banks. I think it was a steep one coming down to pavement or when I crossed the 10 foot driveway it was snow bank to pavement to snow bank over that length. Damage is only noticeable to me.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the Diamond plate and beacon up on the roof and the interior light and diamond plate up. Light goes white and red Hunt For Red October style. Cant see it in pic but it is pretty cool red.

Whelen Beacon model 2012 is perfect.

Going to use the rest of this year to mock up all the dash and wiring. Next season Linex roof, clean up all the wiring, new dash and gauges, stereo, etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0999.jpg
    IMG_0999.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 791

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Going to use the rest of this year to mock up all the dash and wiring. Next season Linex roof, clean up all the wiring, new dash and gauges, stereo, etc.

Seems like a lot of wasted time doing all of that wiring for just one machine! LOL. :agree: (The sign had J/K (just kidding) but it keeps kicking back to 'I agree')

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that's a good idea i should make a harness board for all the snow tracs i work on that way i can make up my own harnesses and they will all be the same.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
that's a good idea i should make a harness board for all the snow tracs i work on that way i can make up my own harnesses and they will all be the same.

I guess, while good in theory, and it may work out for a Snow Trac, Tucker's just had too many options to make that worthwhile. Brian has the Chevy 283 while mine has the flat six. His came with an altimeter (not sure why???), mine has a plain Jane setup. So while some stuff may cross over, a lot of it would be excess (or in some cases may be shorted).

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I guess, while good in theory, and it may work out for a Snow Trac, Tucker's just had too many options to make that worthwhile. Brian has the Chevy 283 while mine has the flat six. His came with an altimeter (not sure why???), mine has a plain Jane setup. So while some stuff may cross over, a lot of it would be excess (or in some cases may be shorted).

Dave,

On the Tuckers I've owned (1979 and 1980 models) I'd say the wiring harnesses were identical. Typically the dash panel is labeled for a variety of options. If the cat had the option there would be a switch in the dash that was hooked up. If the option wasn't ordered there would be a blank piece of aluminum in the panel but the correct color coded wires would be under the dash in position and they would be run to the location of the option!

What's interesting is two of my Tuckers had aftermarket roof mounted quartz lights. In both cases the installer ran all new wires. But had they looked they would have found wires under the dash and wires all the way to the roof on both sides. Tucker even welded tabs on the roof frame to attach the lights to but the installers missed that too.

Reminds me of the Budweiser "Real Men of Genius" ads...

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine had the worst rats nest of wires when I got it. Swiss cheese dash switch to switch to jump to switch. Live wires everywhere. I guess when you need to make stuff happen this is what you get over 50 years.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Mine had the worst rats nest of wires when I got it. Swiss cheese dash switch to switch to jump to switch. Live wires everywhere. I guess when you need to make stuff happen this is what you get over 50 years.

B4B, My 1979 was in a similar state of FUBAR when I got it. Nice feeling of satisfaction when you get it all straightened out though...