• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1968 Tucker 442 New to Me

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The front pin may get some wear if the bearing freezes up but I'm guessing that's pretty rare?:unsure: The trunion pin (shaft) is to the rear of that pin & bearing. The trunion carrier is what allows the turntable and axle to rock from side to side. If that shaft wasn't greased religiously, wear would cause the entire front end to progressively feel more 'sloppy' since it is literally the one point holding the front end assembly to the frame.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One pontoon done. Fixed the sprockets. One was welded already and one was not. Had to replace 1/4 of the teeth on this one. Seem like adding a little piece of metal and some weld makes all the difference in the world. Also it appears mine have run the same way for their lives. Putting the sprockets back on opposite sides will allow them to push on the side of the sprocket that has never been worked.

3/4 x 1/8 steel at Home Depot seemed to work well for repairing the teeth.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,755

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One Pontoon Primed. As I stated before this is suck part of the project. The other front pontoon is almost done as well. I am holding off the rest of the season for the back two. They seem to be in great shape compared to the front so I hope they hold up. i will continue to work on my spare and swap them but it will be time to start using it soon.

Hood is almost done painting. Doors to come!!

Attachments

• IMG_0802.jpg
    IMG_0802.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,715
  • IMG_0801.jpg
    IMG_0801.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,706

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
One pontoon done and painted. New bottom shoe built out of 10 gauge so should hold up for my lifetime. Had to drill the holes on the bottom rail a bit to allow for the thicker gauge and repairs to the pontoons. Test fit and ran some track and rollers around. Feels good. Hoping to have one back on Wed.

Did I mention this is the suck part of the project?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
shoe and rails on. Putting on Tuck tonight. Will be off until next Wed. Heading north for some fresh powder. Snowboarding and riding my other cat this weekend.

The pic of the sled is last Saturday on Bear Notch Road in Bartlett, NH. Quite of bit of snow up there already and a foot plus coming.

Adding the washer to the bolt adjuster worked the nuts. Pushes on metal on the when you adjust them rails now.

Tucker will be ready to make a trip Next Weekend!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,639
  • IMG_0807.jpg
    IMG_0807.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,649

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Did I mention this is the suck part of the project?

LOL, That is why I started doing the nightmare first. I know me all to well, and if I was to leave it until the end, I would almost certainly end up cutting corners just to get it out on the snow. Like your 10ga. shoes (very nice work), I would rather do it once right than have to try to repair something on the side of the trail when it's -20. So, if I can just push thru the crap work now, the rest of it should be enjoyable. Until the electrical rewiring anyway. :doh:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Electrical wasn't bad on mine. I just ripped everything out and started fresh. Adding a fused power block helped clean and organize the mess. West Marine has some good options.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This went on smooth as silk. Turns easy feels good. Think I can take both half links out add full links and drop one grouser.

Tucker Sno CAt needs to be painted orange at some point. Also need to find some bushing to but behind the axel nut. the cotter pin is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch about the castle. Will do some research online unless anyone know where to find some.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
front two pontoons done. Everything came together awsome.

Testing tomorrow and Sunday!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 729

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Success! Will get video and pics up soon. Put a few hours on it today. Steep hills no problem. Well worth the effort.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got a few miles on the Tucker over the weekend probably 3 hours. Climbed a bunch of hills. Carried plenty of kids/people up and down the hill.

Quiet exhaust will be the way to go. Heat will be nice. Got the front tracks adjusted mint. Need to tighten up the backs next and change the cotter pins. Also learned to bend the cotter pins real good. A number of the ones I put in with typical bends backed out somehow.

Looking for suggestions on rear receiver hitch/step and also some ski/snowboard racks to hook to the rack body.

Got the kitty cats and the Chrysler Sno Runners out as well. The sno runners will look good on the bad at the antique show! These Sno Runners were in the Snowmobile Hall of Fame at one point. My friend donated his restored one and I was able to purchase the two the had.

Attachments

• IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 676
  • IMG_0843.jpg
    IMG_0843.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 666
  • IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_0840.jpg
    IMG_0840.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 668
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_0836.jpg
    IMG_0836.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 670

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Videos
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gkkP-Qnb3s"]IMG 08441 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3MB3QFkQD4"]IMG 08451 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp0dIZ6Ewaw"]IMG 0839 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLwDt58ccuc"]IMG 0838 - YouTube[/ame]

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
dude it dosn't look like you have any more snow than we have here in the arctic this year.

Laurentian

We have 3-6 ft here is Québec.
Two major snow storms and already more than
last year total snowfall !

B4B, you have some good fabbing skills !
Nice Job man.

B4B, I noticed on your email contact your last name is
french. You have any family in new brunswick - québec ?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am told my I am French Canadian but no relatives there I know of. Headed to Rockwood Maine for the weekend so I am close to Canada!!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ended up getting these seats from Northerntool for 79$. They work well and fit perfect for my setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 595

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will a third one fit? (Thought you were going with a bench configuration)

Mine looks like that stock. The hydraulic control for a drag is in between my seats.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I decided based on input to make it comfortable for 90% of my usage which is me and one other most likely. It seems like I have none of my friends/family around or all of them. Really the operator should be comfortable. These also will be at the perfect height to maintain use of the shelf/storage rack that sits over the tank. Not sure if they all have this but mine does. The other issue is that I won't have my tank back for sometime and I want to be comfortable and have a backrest. This should also allow room to but my hydraulic control back in at some point if I ever get my drag.

What I can do is make a small pad for in between for the occasional third. These are wide enough that if they were close together I could fit three. Plus they look like they were meant to be there.

Headed up to Hudson, NH Thursday to look at another tucker and two drags.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What I can do is make a small pad for in between for the occasional third. These are wide enough that if they were close together I could fit three. Plus they look like they were meant to be there.

Headed up to Hudson, NH Thursday to look at another tucker and two drags.

What if you mounted those on seat slide tracks that were turned 90 degrees? That way you could have the driver seat centered when there are two passengers, or slide the two seats to the outside to allow a third seat to be put in between them for when the family goes?

Bring your camera to Hudson!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Other drag and tucker fell through. The drag was way too big for my purposes.

I plan on grooming a small track on my property for the kitty cats and sno runners. On the farm I will groom the ski hill with this for a few runs.

It is narrow but will pack and groom the snow between the tracks awesome. Also it works with a 12 volt actuator so I do not need to hook the hydraulics back up. Will rig up a battery on the drag for the minimal adjustments it will need or wire to the tucker eventually.

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 539
  • IMG_0905.jpg
    IMG_0905.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg