• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Time for some new teeth

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Been working on a diversion ditch with my 580K hoe. Down to the layer of bedrock that covers this whole mountain plain where I live. This damn rock is tough and the teeth on my bucket are rounded enough to make digging it almost impossible. I need at least 8 more inches to finish the ditch and it just wants to bounce along on the layers. The teeth that are on it were new when I dug the septic tank hole 5 years ago. I had already wore out 2 other sets cutting the road through the woods and digging footer drains for the house. Not sure just what the rock is but the glaciers left it behind and it is full of fossils and hard. Time for a trip to the Case dealer. Teeth are about the only part they don't rob you too bad for.

Trakternut

When I saw your post title, I thought, automatically, that you were in need of dentures. When I saw the forum you posted it in, I started to wonder just what,exactly, you plan to eat! :unsure: Figured you were headed out to Idaho to eat some of Al's cooking, which would have made sense.

Then, I read the post and it became clear.

Are they the knock on type?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Odd you mention dental work. I just broke a tooth off of my excavator yesterday clearing an area. Now what do I do? The remaining three teeth are about 2/3 worn off, but still quite functional. Do I replace the one on the outer right side or replace all 4 and have it looking rather snaggle toothed?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They use a rubber center pin like Cat and a bunch of others use. I always have an old tooth and a pack of pins in the machine as you can lose one in hard digging. I have probably gone through 9 teeth in 500 hours around here. I use the fork style on the corners and a straight shovel in the center. The other 2 don't engage the rock and it lets you concentrate the force. They are good for frozen ground also. Burying a cow in the winter can be a tough job without good sharp teeth.

Trakternut

I don't suppose you've got a quick-tach on your hoe. You could get a frost tooth which would help you out a lot.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would replace the one and try not to overdo it on it till it wears a bit. It will go down in length quicker than you think. Especially in rocky ground. Just don't overdo it or you can damage the master tooth or break the corner out of the bucket. I did that to mine pounding rock and had a good welder friend fix it back up. You might consider putting the new tooth in the center position so the force is not concentrated in the corner. It will help your grapple also.:poke::hide:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't suppose you've got a quick-tach on your hoe. You could get a frost tooth which would help you out a lot.
We had one for my buddy's cat hoe made from a D8 Cat ripper. That was a great rock picker for sure.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
carl,

you are answering old posts....

Not good form for a newbie. I like Cat stuff too...

find new posts at the top of the page. An introduction would be nice as well.

Regards, Kirk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Too late Kirk. 5 posts with 5 links to a particular site gets the ban hammer as a spammer.