• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Finding your missing best buddy

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Implanting a chip was the first thing we had done when Buddy came to live here. It was a minimum investment if it allows someone to return him to me at some point in the future.
I hope the outcome is favorable for Brent and Dargo.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Brent, any luck yet? I've been following your thread, and really hope for you that Dargo is found safe.
These threads about lost dogs and cats hit too close to home for me. We usually lose at least one cat per year someway or another, and I've lost 2 dogs over the last 3 years. It's never easy for Jan or I.
I feel very callous to not offer much support for you guys that have losses like this, it always brings back my own feelings of loss. Beleive it though, I know all too well how you're feeling even though I didn't post to this thread earlier, or to Danny's latest loss.
Good luck Brent, and let us know what you find out.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys, but no luck at all today either. I now have the flyers at most every store, gas station, vet clinic, and even school in the area. Heck, even Rural King put two of the flyers right on the doors as you walk out. I'm trying to keep up some hope, but I'm pretty bummed right now. Things just aren't adding up in my mind and I haven't slept in a while. :smileywac

I guess to tell you that I'm sort of an over protective father to my kids would be an understatement at this point since I'm so wacked about trying to find my dog. :eek: I'm really thinking that he is either dead or someone has snagged him. I'm obviously hoping for the latter and that the microchip will eventually get them caught. More and more vets are making it standard procedure to scan dogs for chips, especially when they are seeing a dog for the first time. Also, our Animal Control and Humane Society now always scan for a microchip when they get a dog brought in.

Both of my dogs are chipped, but it didn't make either run any faster. That's supposed to be a joke, by the way.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, All I can say is I hope that You find Dargo ,and that He is in good health and spirit.
I don't know what ,or how I'd feel in your situation . But, I'm sure I'd not be able to handle it as well as You seem to have . Hoping for a great outcome , John

BadAttitude

Dargo said:
.Both of my dogs are chipped, but it didn't make either run any faster. That's supposed to be a joke, by the way.
:thumb: :thumb: That's the spirit...

Still have you both in my thoughts and prayers

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Brent,

I was thinking about your situation today and thought I'd make a suggestion that you re-scan your own property. Perhaps Dargo found a hole or something to crawl into that he couldn't get out of.

I would check places that you wouldn't think a dog would go into. If you think that it is somewhere that a dog would not go then you better check it again.

You've got your own mini-drama here. I think about you and your dog everytime I play with mine.

Good luck!

PB

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks again guys. Two more false alarms (sightings) today. One was a brown colored Lab and I think the other was a goat or something. The tracks were not that of a dog. I followed both leads and tracked the one in the mud until I decided that whatever I was tracking certainly was not a dog, let alone my dog.

Pretty soon now I'm going to have to stop working part time and searching part time and go back to working full time. I think tomorrow will have to be it for my active searching during the day.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, I was telling the lovely Mrs_B about Dargo's plight and she made a suggestion I had not considered. SCHOOLS. Have your kids put up flyers on the entry/exit doors of all the schools in the area. Enlist 1000+ kids in your area to look for Dargo!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I hate to say this , but have you looked under the porch or the house for Dargo . Sometimes Animals will do that . Our cat did '
Good luck Brent . We are all pullin for you and Dargo .

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I should have mentioned it, but the schools seem to be one of the best suggestions. That is actually where most of the "false alarms" have come from. And, it's not the kids there, but the teachers who have reported seeing him. It is really comforting to have seemingly every teacher and child there looking for him.

I made my usual rounds of the property where I live at dawn. There is no place on our property that I have not looked. I have not at all taken any of the suggestions to look for him here on my property. I've actually checked our lake a few times each day. I have not checked the large parcel of property we own for him, but that is nearly 20 miles away and he has only been there a couple of times. I doubt he would even recall that place, let alone go there.

My Garmin Q5 GPS has a feature that records routes taken. I've actually been using that to see if I've covered all areas close to home as well as enlarging my search. There literally is not a road within 3 miles of my house that I have not been on so far.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Check that property..... dogs have been known to find their way many hundreds of miles to distant places that they visited only once. It is a half hour ride at best, so give it a try. You never know... Junk....

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
I hate to say this , but have you looked under the porch or the house for Dargo . Sometimes Animals will do that . Our cat did '
Good luck Brent . We are all pullin for you and Dargo .

That reminds me of looking for my new cat "Piglet".. a dropoff on the farm next door.. I brought her home because the other 2 had already been run over.. she's all white w/ one blue eye & one green eye.

We had ran-sacked the house for hours looking for this bugger.. I started searching outside thinking she might have slipped out the door. 4 hours later I'm stripping everything off a roll-out couch.. and this bugger falls out half asleep. At least she wasn't in the fridge.. like my buddy Tigger.. he poked all kinds of holes in the milk jug.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
DARGO IS HOME!!!

After acting on another "Dargo sighting", my wife and I found Dargo in a field about 1/2 mile from our house heading towards home. He seems fine and actually well fed. You wouldn't believe all of the hooting and howling from one dog as he licked me to death!! More later. Thanks so much to all for the ideas and moral support!!:a1: :a1: :a1: :a1: :a1: :a1: :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Brent!!!!! That is awesome. I can hear the whole FF community breath a sighh of relief. Time for a party! :beer:

I know the real Dargo made your day, but he made mine to! What GREAT news. :) :thumb:

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That's GREAT news. Give him a pat on the head and an extra treat from me.

Jim

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
:dancing: :dancing: :thewave: :jumpingSm

Sorry, just had to post again! :wave:

Eighteen cockleburrs and a bottle of shampoo later we are taking a little break. I've never been so happy to clean up a really dirty, really big dog in my life! Hell, I even shared a beer with him. What did I get for appreciation? First a good wet licking, and then :fart2: :fart2:

What the heck; :fart2: back at him. :yum: :D

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Great news Brent!

"actually well fed"

Hmmm . . . if this was my dog that would probably mean someone is now posting about their missing cats/chickens/rabbits!

Nice to hear a happy ending to the story!

Time to talk to the family about keeping a better eye on the old guy when you are away on a trip.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great news to have him home. Definately made my day today! Now for the serious stuff . . . have him checked out by your Vet on Monday, get the phenobarbitol started ASAP if you have not already done so, make sure the electric fence is working properly, keep your eye on him for any signs of stress due to lack of medications for a week and a day, hug him often and have another beer.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Great news..... now, don't forget to send out the reward money to all of us that made suggestions. If we don't get the money in one week, we are going to Dewey, Gypum, & Howe law firm to start a Class Action against you. You don't want to mess with them!!!!!!!!!:thumb:

BadAttitude

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!
Glad it ended on a happy note!!!!!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
:applause: :applause: :applause:

Enjoy the warm feeling while it lasts...you deserve it!!
Here's to a happy ending:beer: