• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Most popular DOGS in America

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a link to the AKC dog rankings. The rankings are based on AKC registration so it may not be 100% accurate but it is probably very close.

AKC Dog Rankings 2005 ( http://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm )

We have a Maltese (#19) and an Akita (#51). I had no idea that the Maltese breed was that popular and the Akitas were as rare as they are. What really surprised me were some of the breeds ahead of the Akitas in the rankings, many are breeds I've heard of, but have never seen.

I was also surprised to see that Poodle are NOT in the top 5. I also assumed that Cocker Spaniels were in the top 10 and was surprised when they were not.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Those are registration figures, not breed by popularity. Many breeds are low in figures, but are big on popularity. Many people today choose not to register their dogs because they have no intention of breeding or showing. I have both a Mini Dachshund and a Weimaraner and neither of them are registered. Both are spayed and I can see no reason to have spent the money to register them with the AKC. To do that to me is like buying a hunting license and never go hunting. Junk.....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junk, yup they are registration numbers. And your point is well taken. Both of my dogs are purebreds from breeders who breed for show/conformation. Neither of my dogs are registered either. I don't know enough about breeding to even attempt it, spending money to get a certificate saying what I already know didn't seem like a good investment.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Junkman said:
to me is like buying a hunting license and never go hunting. Junk.....

I've done that :confused: Oh yeah I buy a fishing license just about every year so I can go with dad, still waiting to go. :confused:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our dog will be the first time we've had a #1 pick of any kind...............:yum:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I prefer a mutt to any purebreed. Too many wack jobs in the dog breeding industry. I'm sure there are good and bad breeders but I still think the good breeders (at least the ones I've met) are a little nutty.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
I assume that your wife will confirm this?????? :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:
Dargo has 5 kids (that he knows of) and I only have one. I guess the numbers speak volumes:pat:

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh, I know all about breeding. I don't need to have my dogs neutered, I got a P.O. box. It stopped the kids from popping out so I assume that will also work for dogs too. :whistle:

buy_25

Banned
B_Skurka said:
Junk, yup they are registration numbers. And your point is well taken. Both of my dogs are purebreds from breeders who breed for show/conformation. Neither of my dogs are registered either. I don't know enough about breeding to even attempt it, spending money to get a certificate saying what I already know didn't seem like a good investment.

So you sent the $$ for a show dog and did not even reg it...:pat: waste of money.

My wife best friend shows dogs and just spent a few thousand on one to show. I had this same debate with her when I say her dogs in the last show.

Our $60 pit has more then enough titles and did I say the price of him at the shelter? :wave: Nevermind he keeps up with the dogs costing thousands more....

buy_25

Banned
B_Skurka said:
Here is a link to the AKC dog rankings. The rankings are based on AKC registration so it may not be 100% accurate but it is probably very close.

AKC Dog Rankings 2005 ( http://www.akc.org/reg/dogreg_stats.cfm )

We have a Maltese (#19) and an Akita (#51). I had no idea that the Maltese breed was that popular and the Akitas were as rare as they are. What really surprised me were some of the breeds ahead of the Akitas in the rankings, many are breeds I've heard of, but have never seen.

I was also surprised to see that Poodle are NOT in the top 5. I also assumed that Cocker Spaniels were in the top 10 and was surprised when they were not.

So bad they never list the top 100 dog bits..

We have #16's and #63 and they both have pros and cons. Problem is more and more owers are flat-out clueless on how to treat these dogs.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
buy_25 said:
So you sent the $$ for a show dog and did not even reg it...:pat: waste of money.

No, that is not what I wrote, you are making some assumptions by reading more into the statement than was written.

buy_25

Banned
no, I am stating just what you posted above.

you stated, "Neither of my dogs are registered either"...so, I guess what does this mean then, if not taken for how you wrote it.

Even taking AKC out I would hope you reg your dog. If you can't reg a dog, why buy a show dog?

So let me ask you this, do you show your dog?

buy_25

Banned
Gatorboy said:
I think the same thing about those who buy a Lexus ... waste of money.

really???drive one, or better yet buy one (if you can) and see how they are. Waste of money is a diesel truck for doing nothing but getting paint...AKA 90% of the owners out there.

buy_25

Banned
Dargo said:
I guess next you'll pick on Kia and Keeoti. :eek:

I expect nothing short of this guy since he was the noob that thinks this forum will not survive...but keeps posting..

He does not understand quality when he sees it. PLus
[font=&quot]jealousy is a power thing I guess when you can't have one..:coolshade
[/font]

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mike, once again you have not done a complete read of what I wrote. No my dogs are not 'shown' and no my dogs are not AKC registered, but both could be. Your original reply is still wrong.

buy_25

Banned
B_Skurka said:
Mike, once again you have not done a complete read of what I wrote. No my dogs are not 'shown' and no my dogs are not AKC registered, but both could be. Your original reply is still wrong.

you stated, "Both of my dogs are purebreds from breeders who breed for show/conformation. " and again "Neither of my dogs are registered either."

So what does this mean?????

I am also amazed that a breeder (quality I hope) would sell you a show dog since most breeders I know sell there dogs for thousands and the owner MUST sign a document that states they WILL show the dog or the breeder can. If not, you do not buy a dog, period.

Why buy a purebreds from breeders and do nothing... looks like a waste of money here.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I think Bob's dogs fall in the same category as my GSD's; both are from show stock, and could be considered as show dogs, but I have no intention of doing the gay walk around an arena and spending thousands of dollars carting them around to these shows. It's just not my thing. Those people probably think I'm nuts for showing muscle cars. They most likely are not into that. I assume that Bob, like me, just wanted a good quality breed stock to try to assure as much as possible that there would be no problems with the dogs. In my case, the odds of getting a pure German Shepherd Dog of American breeding that didn't have lots and lots of inbreeding and potential health and behavior issues were slim. After research, I ended up getting my dogs from Austria and Hungary where their dog breeding programs are much more strict than the AKC. Most of the top dog clubs in Europe do not recognize the AKC because of the lack of rules and regulations concerning breeding in the AKC. Certain breeds are fine, but for a GSD, American puppy mills nearly ruined the breed here. Registering with the AKC unless you plan to show or breed can certainly be considered a waste of money. Make sense?

Oh yeah, :eek: I did "waste" a few bucks and both of my dogs are registered with the AKC. Yeah, I know, BIG FREAKIN' DEAL. :tiphat:

Gatorboy

buy_25 said:
I expect nothing short of this guy ...
[font=&quot]
[/font]

I must have struck a nerve. I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion -- as you do.

Maybe you should do MORE postings of how great Lexus' are .. eventually you may force your love on us until we all believe you.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
buy_25 said:
you stated, "Both of my dogs are purebreds from breeders who breed for show/conformation. " and again "Neither of my dogs are registered either."

So what does this mean?????

I am also amazed that a breeder (quality I hope) would sell you a show dog since most breeders I know sell there dogs for thousands and the owner MUST sign a document that states they WILL show the dog or the breeder can. If not, you do not buy a dog, period.

Why buy a purebreds from breeders and do nothing... looks like a waste of money here.

Mike, I see several major points in your post.

#1, my dogs do come from breeders who breed for show/conformation, but just because they come from those breeders does not mean that every dog in the litter is going to be a great dog for a show. Some dogs, despite their excellent lineage, are simply not cut out for the show ring. In fact that would be true of the majority of the puppies in a litter from even the most careful breeder.

#2, for people who choose to buy purebreds, some are educated buyers and some are ignorant.
  • I am not ignorant of the fact that most AKC registered dogs would fail in the show ring on the first walk by of a judge.
  • I am not ignorant of the fact that most AKC breeders have no clue what the conformation standards are of the dogs they breed.
  • I am not ignorant of the bullcrap that many so-called show breeders pull on unsuspecting buyers who buy their BS hook, line & sinker.
  • I am not ignorant of the fact that many breeds of dogs have specific health issues and those issues are often genetic and some of those issues can be minimized by careful selection of the breeder and the lineage of the dogs and tests confirming the careful selection process.
#3, as to why buy a purebred, that is a personal choice, but I suppose some folks like the look, temperment, and/or personality of the breed. You may not get any/some/all those things from a mixbreed.

#4, as you seem to be educated, I find it astonishing that you don't seem to be able to apply the correct word when using: their, there, they're

Personally, while you are "amazed that a breeder" would sell me . . . I am amazed at the absolute statements you make when you clearly read too much into statements and seemingly have, at best, a superficial and only passing knoweldge of the subject matter at hand.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DAP said:
The Lovely_Mrs_Skurka must have a story to tell! :yum: :yum: :yum:

Pa dum pump.

:whistle:
Or more obviously she has a LACK of stories to tell :confused: :smileywac

buy_25

Banned
B_Skurka said:
#4, as you seem to be educated, I find it astonishing that you don't seem to be able to apply the correct word when using: their, there, they're

Personally, while you are "amazed that a breeder" would sell me . . . I am amazed at the absolute statements you make when you clearly read too much into statements and seemingly have, at best, a superficial and only passing knoweldge of the subject matter at hand.

As I have posted for years , engineers are not good in spelling nor do most care; nor does it make them money. math and analysis does... But, if that makes you feel better.....:pat:

To close, I just posted comments on how they are posted.........Superficial blah blah, no, just posted comments on how people posted their or there
posts...

Take a chill pill or have a drink.. or take your ADHD meds! or puff puff pass! :yum:

buy_25

Banned
Gatorboy said:
I must have struck a nerve. I guess I'm not allowed to have an opinion -- as you do.

Maybe you should do MORE postings of how great Lexus' are .. eventually you may force your love on us until we all believe you.

No nerve here...typical answer from something like TBN members that has no clue on this topic.... Again go buy one if you can or have you driven one? I think not.....

Again I expect just what you posted...I bet 100 to 1 you drive a truck (diesel more then likely) annd will whine about diesel price andn love walfart, need I go one?

I could carless on who drives what I just know what is the best for years in a row and it is not domestic auto here. Take a look at CR mag and look at the top 10 cars. No american made here....

Step-up a level ...if you can and then you wil see what others are lacking.:tiphat:

Gatorboy

buy_25 said:
As I have posted for years , engineers are not good in spelling nor do most care;

Hmmmm... I'm an engineer and I pride myself on being an above average speller.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gatorboy said:
Hmmmm... I'm an engineer and I pride myself on being an above average speller.
:a1:And I give you bonus points for proper punctuation and grammar. :a1:

AndyM

Charter Member
buy_25 said:
really???drive one, or better yet buy one (if you can) and see how they are. Waste of money is a diesel truck for doing nothing but getting paint...AKA 90% of the owners out there.

Wow! I'm going to agree with Gatorboy here...

My Chevrolets are more than adequate for providing my daily transportation needs. I do not need a Lexus to prove I am better than everyone else, nor do I feel the need to brag about my expensive things in all of my posts... And let's be honest, you originally bought your Powerstroke because it was trendy and expensive and wanted to show off. However, just because you never put anything in the bed or towed with it doesn't mean others don't need one for their uses.

By the way, our mixed breed dog is just fine.