• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Intoductions

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Doable, unless he's going through a proxy, but why? No need to announce a members location. It's his right to maintain his privacy.

cdobsonus

utahwilson, mainer, and bobcat,

If you're talking about my location, I've already revealed it; Paradise, Utah. utahwilson, where are you located (if you don't mind me asking)?

I also added my location the the Where are you? thread.

BTW, progress on my trailer. I've got the old frame and undercarriage stripped and the bed shortened to 14'. The new axles are ordered and I have most of the steel to begin reconstruction. The downside is I just ripped a hole in the sidewall of one of my skidsteer tires while juggling the bed around for easier access. Win some, lose some I guess.

utahwilson

Yep, missed that, I was catching up on posts from my iPhone and it hadn't fully populated. I live in SL, however, our snowcat actually resides in Paradise, UT. Located on the border of Weber/Cache county. 41 25.528' N 111 35.0350' W.

cdobsonus

Not too far! My place is at 41°35'2.50"N, 111°51'8.83"W. Google Earth says I'm about 18 miles from your cabin as the crow flies. I drive the Ant Flat road regularly in the summer on my way to Randolph, one of the premier Utah hang gliding sites.

Small world, thanks for the answer! Maybe we'll run into each other this winter.

mattfidaho

Not too far! My place is at 41°35'2.50"N, 111°51'8.83"W. Google Earth says I'm about 18 miles from your cabin as the crow flies. I drive the Ant Flat road regularly in the summer on my way to Randolph, one of the premier Utah hang gliding sites.

Small world, thanks for the answer! Maybe we'll run into each other this winter.

man I hope you don't run into each other.... that could be messy... I think the thickol might win :)

utahwilson

Good point. I am in negotiations with the wife on trading in my Trackmaster for a Tucker. Really hard to fit the 6'8" frame into the cab of the TM. Looked like a clown car last year every time I stopped at the parking lot to let people in/out of it. Hopefully, would then have the edge. At least out run him.

snowbird

Judging by most of the full-size Tuckers I've seen in the forum, you could probably run right over most of the other snocats.

utahwilson

Wife sent me this. I guess I need to be more specific on "Tucker". Any Tucker officianado's out there know if Tucker has a standard width? I need to be able to park in a barn with a 9' wide opening. Also, Diesel vs Gas?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1959_Sno-Cat0001_a_small.jpg
    1959_Sno-Cat0001_a_small.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 116

mattfidaho

they did make a 1000 model that is narrower for the back east trails that a normal 2000 groomer would not fit.
I don't know the width off hand for the 2000 vs 2000xl and the 1000,
But the 2000XL If I remember correctly is just under 8 ft so it will legally fit on a trailer to pull down the road with out being a wide load.... I thing the 2000 groomer is about the same width, just a hela lot heaver and meant for grooming and pulling a groomer... the XL is lighter and meant for high mountain work like getting to tower sites.

If you would like I can go get an exact messurement from our XL later and let you know, but I know with out a doubt 9 ft would not be an issue...
also if you park it on the trailer you would need a 13 ft door... ours is at 12'9 to the top of the becon on the trailer....

now I dont know for sure on the older models but they would also fit under the 9 ft wide...

Wert

Congratulations I too just recently purchased my first cat. I don't know how well it will do what i need but I can't take my little ones on the sleds.

Its a Tucker 1544 runs great and has a nice sized cab for the family, and is very warm (so far). Does anyone know what kind of snow this cat is good for?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
kind of depends on what kind of track you have alot of members like them i like them because they are put together well and with off the shelf products wich makes supporting them easy in remote locations where i live and they seem to preform well in deep snow there is only 1 in western ak i know of and it had the old chain tracks on it didn't work well on hard pack or where uou might have miles of barren wind blown ground but a belted track or terra track would work well up here

mattfidaho

just watch the rubber condition of the tracks... also does your have diff lockers? the one I had like that had no lockers and I broke a track in the hills.... not fun trying to repair with spud conveyor belts in the snow.
If you have or install diff locks you will never go back to being with out.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Sweet. What's on the back? How much did you pay? Can I have a turn at the wheel?

Wert

Thanks for the info! I have had the belting crew make me up for blanks pre drilled and clips in the ends.

Where would be the best place to find a locker?

Wert

I paid $7000 cdn. It has 1100 original hrs on it. I did a little checking around and that seemed fair. If your ever in this country your more than welcome to take a turn.

mattfidaho

Thanks for the info! I have had the belting crew make me up for blanks pre drilled and clips in the ends.

Where would be the best place to find a locker?

there is a ton of options, and pros and cos with each one ( I think)

http://www.arbusa.com/

there is air lockers (uses a compressor to engage it)
electric that uses power to engage it,
and mechanical, like an Ox that uses a cable to engage it...

I would stay away from full time lockers.... it will reduce your turning radius with lockers turned on. and if you do run into issues with traction it is nice to just turn on the locker and go..

on the new tuckers (with lockers) you can turn on only the rear, or both front and rear.

Wert

How does one go about donating to this Forum? I can only get so much free info without feeling guilty!:shifty:

mattfidaho

ok ok, at least I did a quote before it was deleted :)
just giving you crap :) hey it getting close to that time of year. :-D