• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Trackmaster for sale

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
So what major problems does this thing have? From the pictures it doesn't look that bad for $8500. What with new tracks, tires, paint, glass, and a straight body it seems like they're in the ballpark unless the drive system is totally shot. Not too long ago I saw a 601 here in Colorado go for $8500 and it was a mess. The whole front end from the top of the windshield frame down had been rebuilt so it was missing the mirrors, APU, data placard, headlight guards, and the radiator hatch was way goofey. Plus it needed track rubber, tires, paint, some glass, a bunch of interior work, had significant roof dents, and the shifter was swimming in the transmission. Then add the cost of shipping one of these things couple thousand miles to get it to the northeast. So I dono. What is the value of 601/Trackmasters?

There's more info back a few pages that lists it out. I know you know your machines well so know you certainly spy the difference between this machine and a 601. So given it's a 4T that puts it in a different pricing ball park. I won't go into all the detail here...but people have nearly purchased it and then when they see it in person it's clear it was a crap job that puts it too high up in $. The interior was sprayed over w/o care taken to mask anything or properly clean... it will all flake off and is already starting to now. No gages work... wouldn't shift out of 1st gear (said to have fixed that so may do so now). It's basically all jerry-rigged in summary. The cool thing are the tracks. but there the grousers have been abused as have been backing plates.

Anyway, it just depends on how much passion a person has for one... it depends on how much cash folks have to throw around... $8500 for the 601 you described? OK, fine for someone else... they over-paid. Nuts. Value of these puppies has gone up over the last few years. But again, we're talking 4T here. The 4T was purchased for $1500 then had $7K of value added? The paint is also flaking on the outside. It just going to all have to be redone...shite work. I was told it didn't track straight. Seller says it does. There was exhaust coming up through into the cabin from the engine bay...

So, who knows... some body may pay $8500... or bargain down to $7K. I'd much prefer a rig for $5K that looks like ass and then redo it all proper for another $5K and end up with $10K invested and have a kick-ass 601 rather than a botched 4T. Someone may say...who cares..use it as-is for now until it goes bad then fix whatever is necessary then.

Hey... where are the pics of the 601 that was all muched up ???? We always need to see 6-series photos whenever possible... please! :biggrin:
$8500... sheesh... hey, I got some I'll sell for more that are in great operating condition! :biggrin:

bkvail

The stickers are original.... he masked that area off and painted around it.
One of the members is having stickers made up.

OOOOH - I'd love to get some when they get them done! I've never seen one with those stickers on one before. Interesting location for original.........

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, stripping off layers of crummy paint is much worse than just doing it right the first time. With the 601/4T value difference thing I guess I was thinking that as these machines finish making the jump between being viable workhorses to becoming novelty toys or collectables, does it really matter which one you have? No contest, hands down, the OC-15 is stronger than the 4VL. But if the machine is to sit in a garage on display or even exercised on the odd winter sunday afternoon what's the difference? Either one will climb on and off a trailer.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Yea, stripping off layers of crummy paint is much worse than just doing it right the first time. With the 601/4T value difference thing I guess I was thinking that as these machines finish making the jump between being viable workhorses to becoming novelty toys or collectables, does it really matter which one you have? No contest, hands down, the OC-15 is stronger than the 4VL. But if the machine is to sit in a garage on display or even exercised on the odd winter sunday afternoon what's the difference? Either one will climb on and off a trailer.

Snow shoes. I'm just getting rid of them all and going truly old-school ! :whistling:

Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Rolled by this old girl yesterday afternoon. What's that turd hanging out over the diffs? :smileywac

P8090188.jpg

P8090189.jpg

P8090190.jpg

P8090191.jpg

P8090192.jpg

P8090193.jpg

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
That would be the tow bar. On-site visitor said it was free-floating.
Go on... someone wants her...
Funny... the paint is validated... seller originally said it was a bare-metal respray (except for the sticker part). In-person visit proved otherwise... and the photo shows the underlying dead layers of paint that should have been shed. Seller then revisited his statement: "Well, there was so much paint that had fallen off that is was practically bare-metal." Uh-huh...take that and multiply by the mechanical systems.
Mmmm... but there's lots of new shiny paint and rubber on there.... that should feel good right? ;) Nice painty-wheels.
No, I'm NOT buying her! OK, I'd buy her for $4500, max... $5K if she ran through all her gears but initial reports were not getting out of 2nd...but supposedly fixed. $5K is even pushing it.... no gages, hodge-podged manifold, fuel line, etc...
Who knows. I've gone on a 4T diet... just 6's for me now.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
What is that...1-ply rubber? yea, yea, I know.
That's right...paint that vulcanized sprocket rubber! :brows:

Helps conceal where the sprocket rubber is missing.

Oh, did I forget to mention...in negotiation for $4K? Seems the emergency light is worth almost $1K by itself. :rolleyes:

bkvail

the funky tow bar and thin layer of rubber on the sprockets are what was on our '61 also. Although the end of the tow bar was different on ours (and was cut off to put back on a new tow bar) I don't recall if the original tow bar was free-floating, but I don't think it was. We still have parts of it after Brian took it off to put the Bombi diff in there - still have the sprockets too (he used the Bombi sprockets) Anyhow, it's a shame it's not more mechanically sound ......

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
also notice the two chincy pieces of rubber between cabin and frame as seen in the close-up of the tow-bar... see weatherby's red polymer spacers in his rebuild thread. Note flaking paint of grease left on drop boxes... it's just all shoddy. Bobcat or Boggie ...buy it and give it a good home...cherry her out right-good. ;)

bkvail

I wonder how long before the paint is flaking like on ours (and we stripped to bare metal!) - I give it 3 years........
The paint problem on ours is that it hasn't been garaged I think mostly - but if we repaint it, then it's getting a carport!

Karin

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
That would be from the prior owner that used belting that was not wide enough to go past the end of the grouser or backing bars and then they get thrashed from regular wear/tear (well, if it's correlated to the genius that redid the belting then maybe not so NORMAL wear/tear). It was probably also done during the removal/rebuild process... "Come on Zeke...put some stank on that pry-bar! Come on boy! Do 'her up good boy!" Yea... genius. Sorry, there I go bein hard on Southern folk turned snow-fever. ;)