• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Trackmaster for sale

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I've come across a TM (not sure if it's a 4T10 or a 601 yet but it's full cab...but in purest classifications, I believe it is probably a 4T10), that has been completely restored... interior/exterior paint, new tracks, new engine, new interior, etc... there's a bud on the forum that has first dibs but as y'all know I'm trying to go on a diet (I can't stop hunting but I'm trying to stop buying). 8)

If interested PM me.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Here she is. Restored 1962 4T10.

Attachments

• Rest_4T10_1.jpg
    Rest_4T10_1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 948
  • Rest_4T10_2.jpg
    Rest_4T10_2.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Rest_4T10_3.jpg
    Rest_4T10_3.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 1,012
  • Rest_4T10_4.jpg
    Rest_4T10_4.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 965
  • Rest_4T10_5.jpg
    Rest_4T10_5.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 900
  • Rest_4T10_6.jpg
    Rest_4T10_6.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 895

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
OK... all early dibbers have had good time to solidify a deal ...
Open season on the TM ... Seller is Ivan at 970-396-1535.
$13K in Colorado.

socal4t12

Mainer....that chrome stripe on the side isnt stock is it? kinda looks nice. also,,,,where do you think he got the rubber from for the tracks,,,i see a "diamond plate" type design in them. i see he has the stock pintle hitch on it still.

if there is any 4T owners out there that have a rearend like this,,,let me know. i need pics and info to put mine together. i also need pics and measurements of the track tension tubes that allow the wheels to move independently of each other.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
That chrome is a bar to grab if you need to walk along the tracks. I noticed the diamond pattern as well... it's tripple thickness but didn't ask where he sourced it.
It's a seemingly great cat for the work he's put into it. If I were going to hunt for 1 TM this would be it as it's a better rebuild than the Diamond Cat jobby for half the money. I prefer the steering behavior of the diff-based 6's over the T's but still how can a person resist any type of TM???? 8) I'm sure this cat would do people really well for a long time to come.

Thiokol2track

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
if there is any 4T owners out there that have a rearend like this,,,let me know. i need pics and info to put mine together. i also need pics and measurements of the track tension tubes that allow the wheels to move independently of each other.[/QUOTE]

Steve, pm me:biggrin: .....I'll buy your parts rig so you can stop pestering us for your measurements.:flowers: Then buy that one Mainer pointed out in colorado, all done up for 13K :whistling:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
where do you think he got the rubber from for the tracks

I noticed the diamond pattern as well... it's tripple thickness but didn't ask where he sourced it.

I would guess it originate as some type of specialty conveyor belting.....

hendog

Hello Mainer! Thanks for keeping my mouth watering with more MUST haves, NOT!!! I need to stop buying too but I must say this is a nice rig, did your friend have any luck selling his out of Mass? I know he put it on ebay... While I totally love my Snow Trac I can see me getting into these as well someday. What an addiction!!! Damb!! :w00t2: Always keep me in the loop as we share the same area of the country. :beer:

Just a question do you have experience with coating worn drive sprockets with PTFE to build them back up? I know there are a few companys that do it, just concidering this option instead of buying poured sprockets for 1k.

Any ideas. does this method work?
Take care! Enjoy the SNOW!!!!!:biggrin:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Hello Mainer! Thanks for keeping my mouth watering with more MUST haves, NOT!!! I need to stop buying too but I must say this is a nice rig, did your friend have any luck selling his out of Mass? I know he put it on ebay... While I totally love my Snow Trac I can see me getting into these as well someday. What an addiction!!! Damb!! :w00t2: Always keep me in the loop as we share the same area of the country. :beer:

Just a question do you have experience with coating worn drive sprockets with PTFE to build them back up? I know there are a few companys that do it, just concidering this option instead of buying poured sprockets for 1k.

Any ideas. does this method work?
Take care! Enjoy the SNOW!!!!!:biggrin:

Yup, he sold that one and it'll be heading out West shortly. Yea, I think once you get your first taste of Trackmaster/4T10/601...with that pure military brawny look that whips along at 35 MPH...with a party of 8 passengers partying in the back, your navigator with her head out escape hatch and you sitting in the high-flying driver seat that lets you scan the horizon for bunnies in trouble... you'll really get the addiction. :clap: Happens to me all the time and then I wake up. :yum::sad:

Check with Fall Line on the cogs. They do urethane for $250 per sprocket when you send in the worn unit.

If you get a chance...would be great to see more of your rig in action...upload pics to the forum photo library when you get a chance on one of your adventures with the snow trac.

socal4t12

if there is any 4T owners out there that have a rearend like this,,,let me know. i need pics and info to put mine together. i also need pics and measurements of the track tension tubes that allow the wheels to move independently of each other.

Steve, pm me:biggrin: .....I'll buy your parts rig so you can stop pestering us for your measurements.:flowers: Then buy that one Mainer pointed out in colorado, all done up for 13K :whistling:[/QUOTE]

you guys are killing me. little help here. i got a cat in a basket,,,all the parts there, but no one in cali with the 4T info or cats to look at. come on,,,,,throw me a bone!

hendog

Thanks Mainer

Thanks for the input, Can you tell me the web site for the coating company I have had no luck finding it. Thanks

In your opinion, is that a good price for that trackmaster? I think you said it has a new engine right? Do you think that was a good restoration?Man that is tempting, I want to start a touring company out here for tourists but I just hate to spend the cash. Soend money to mke money right?? Tell me if this is a deal that I shouldnt pass up then I can blame you!! LOL,,

No seriously , I will sell a ton of my crap to buy this if I need too. is this something that I will see more of in the next 2 years? They seem far and few between.... Maybe I will just buy yours when you are ready??? Yea right!!! Did you say that they seat 10 total????

I looked into liability insurance and it runs about 1200 a year for 1 mill coverage... I am right by Stowe Vermont, I would love to tap into the touris wallett..

how wide are the trackmasters? track edge to track edge.

I am going crazy!
Thanks for your input!!:w00t2:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's a link: http://www.fallline.com/store/polyapps.cfm?Cat_ID=2

$13K... well... yes and no. How's that for covering my butt? ;)

So, I've bought a 4T10 for as little as $1,500 (plus $1k shipping) in a fully functioning mechanically sound state... So, for me to splash out $13K, well, it's too much or I would have added this one to my pocket. BUT, with that being said for $13K:

1. It's been restored with the most time consuming factor of belting being replaced... those tracks are worth about $5-6.5K retail. Not in materials but when you include labor, then that's about right.
2. It's been painted in and out and other details done up. Note the foot pedal rubber has also been painted. This drives me crazy as they did not remove all the gear and then paint so you're not getting a weatherby job but then again, I don't know of any cat on the forum that's had a weatherby job done on it! ;) I would ask for photos or at least ask about how the prep was done. If they sprayed over the foot pedal rubber then how was prep done on the points that were greased, etc? Will the paint be flaking off in short order? Now the owner did all this work for himself as if he was going to keep it...at least that's how he has positioned it and I tend to believe him based on other items he tweaked such as the 1" thick rubber matting, etc... that's a creature comfort that most folks don't add when they are flipping it for cash...and the interior is nicely done. What type of paint was used and what was the process and who did it? Did he or a shop, etc? I am surprised that an hour meter and tach were not fitted.
3. He did not work on the power divider... the essence of the functionality. That could be just fine that he did not... but need to find out how straight it tracks. Parts are readily available but you'll find there are a couple of chaps on the forum that don't like the historically relevant dual-shaft design. It's fine functionally unless you're going to be treating your rig harsh by using as a hunting rig in swamp/dirt/etc.. From what you mention, it doesn't sound that way so it should be fine.
4. Opportunity cost. These don't come up that often and it's a pretty nice example. I have higher res photos if you're seriously interested... in those you can see some underlying ripples in the paint indicated that the rig was sprayed over the existing paint and that paint was flaking off in relatively large areas...not that big of a deal but curious. yet, the original Trackmaster decal is on and you can see the underlying original paint was orange so that combination indicates it was a civilian rig which could be good/bad depending... was it maintained properly as the military religiously serviced them? don't know. But was it lightly used such that it never saw much use under civilian ownership? It's important to go look at a cat like this in person when you're talking $13K... at least in my book. If $13K isn't much then it may be fine to take a chance.
5. The glass was replaced. This is nice from a restoration perspective but then why was it all broken? Had it been left abandoned and been abused/vandalized? If so, what else may have happened? Or is it simply some cracked windows...that happens in many of these due to the somewhat flexible sides that can result in window cracking.
6. the engine is a 300 which is non-standard for this unit so given it was replaced, that's a nice plus assuming the 300 that went in was in proper order which would only seem logical.

OK, I could ramble on with caveats but in summary, yes, I think it's worth $13K...well, talk down to maybe $11K or something... but yes. If it were a 601 with the rear diff then it would be a no-brainer and it wouldn't even be listed here. :whistling:

The economy is bad but I'd be surprised if this rig lasts long. If he were to come down a bit more in price, heck I'd buy it. For someone that's been hunting and wants one ready to go... phone him up and offer him $11K and go from there...or start at 10 to get to 11.5.

-Mainer

hendog

Thanks for the fantastic input, much appreciated, how wide is it? What is the difference to the 601 diff that you talk about?

randy

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
L 142"
W 99"
H 92" w/lights

There's quite a bit of info in the forum if you want to do some full research by doing some searches on Thiokol differentials Trackmaster 601, etc... but basically the 601 has a single shaft to differential design with the same cab style while the 4T10 has a power divider in the middle with twin drive shaft out to some Dana rear ends. That 4T10 is based on old tractor style power distribution. take a look at weatherby's Thiokol 601 Restoration and it will tell you volumes.

hendog

Thanks will do ,, Since you support this web site , I am new at this and where do I post the pics, do I look for a library , maybe I am missing something or I have brain freeze!!
I will throw some pics up.

see ya

bkvail

I'm curious - did the ''civilian'' models not have the side tire-racks (or is ours 'aftermarket'), and did 'civilian' models have the hatch on top? I can't tell if this one has one for sure, but it looks like maybe it does....... also noticed this doesn't have a 'hitch', but ours does - is that also something the military would have had added?

hendog

Got it, I put one pic on with my 4x10 drag I just bought I need to figure out how to make my drag wider to cover the tracks, right now I offset it with a swinging pintle that came with teh snow trac but this screws with my right turns. I may use a 1/2 tire or plastic colvert off of each side of the drag, ideas?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm curious - did the ''civilian'' models not have the side tire-racks (or is ours 'aftermarket'), and did 'civilian' models have the hatch on top? I can't tell if this one has one for sure, but it looks like maybe it does....... also noticed this doesn't have a 'hitch', but ours does - is that also something the military would have had added?

He removed the tire racks. Some civ models did and some did not have the hatch.

This one does have a hitch in the back...may not come out well in the pic.

As an aside, the military got more forceful in their feedback/design when the 601 came about ...or at least one of the reasons the 601 came about as it did. They had spec'd out the OC-15 diff which is way overbuilt for the 601 but it's awesome that it is... it's meant for massive machines so the chance of it ever failing are few and far between. The OC-15 is more robust than the OC-12 that you see in sprytes and imps.

These things were originally made for Thiokol Rocket Scientists... as a field unit to rocket testing grounds and collecting of rocket gear after a test. Then the military got interested. That's why these are more ATV than they are snowcat and why they do 35 MPH rather than 12 MPH...but the Imp is fast but I think they learned there was a need...but still the TM is faster. :whistling:

See how much exciting history there is to the 4T/6-series line-up? It's like no other in American history.

-Mainer

Last edited:

bkvail

FAST is right! I guess we didn't realize that they all went as fast as ours - we assumed that the diff. from the Bombardier made it go too fast, LOL.

It will be fun for our cat to be able to have that speed, but also the crawling ability - it should be all put together this weekend! He's working on exhaust now and when that's done, he'll be able to put the driveline back in! :)

We are going to put together a Thiokol get-together with several locals (heck, we might let 'other' snowcat brands come too). There is our 4T-10, 2 Sprytes, and an Imp locally - we're gonna put together a day-of-play for the Thiokol's and their families in the spring - maybe a BBQ or something, should be fun :)

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's the $25K 4T10 that went on eBay and the youtube of it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdhGaELjToY&feature"]YouTube - "Pimped My Snow Cat"[/ame]

Anyone interested can read up on this in separate threads to get feedback on the rig itself.

There's a bit toward the end that shows the control lever action that switches between clutch packs for H/M/L relative track speeds. Then there's a 4-speed tranny and a foot clutch and foot brake (foot brakes are gone in 600's).

and here you will see the best compilation on the planet of 601 video. 8)

[ame="http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=259972213427415746&hl=en"]snowcat_compilation.WMV[/ame]

In this you see the classic steering levers that we know as standard on most Thiokols... this was subsequent to the 4T10 power divider.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
This is my next baby... look at her... purity at it's finest ... 300 original hours...my next closest is 420 hrs.
The essence of 601 time warp. Look at that skin... smooth as a newly minted 601 off the factory floor!
:cry::notworthy:cry::notworthy

oh god!

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

Going on three years of negotiations...but it will happen.

Attachments

• MainersMistress.jpg
    MainersMistress.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 390

bkvail

LOL Mainer! You got it BAD! hehe :)

I have always been curious - what is the little box in the front above and to the passenger side of the grill? Ours looks like it might have been to plug something in - maybe a block heater??? It's just a cover now and has been since before we got it.......

weatherby

I have always been curious - what is the little box in the front above and to the passenger side of the grill? Ours looks like it might have been to plug something in - maybe a block heater??? It's just a cover now and has been since before we got it.......

That cover is for a (optional) cold weather package. When plugged in, it heated your batteries, oil, coolant & ran a coolant circulating pump. I think every 4/t or 601 had the access hole with the cover regardless if they had the optional package :thumb:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
That cover is for a (optional) cold weather package. When plugged in, it heated your batteries, oil, coolant & ran a coolant circulating pump. I think every 4/t or 601 had the access hole with the cover regardless if they had the optional package :thumb:

Yes, it's the cold weather package access. Here is a partial photo of one still intact. They were usually stripped from the rigs when passing to private hands.

Weatherby, you are right that they are in most (even if they didn't have the package installed), but they are not in all. From my info it appears that roughly 70% have the access hole but not all.

Attachments

• coldweatherpack.jpg
    coldweatherpack.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 337

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks will do ,, Since you support this web site , I am new at this and where do I post the pics, do I look for a library , maybe I am missing something or I have brain freeze!!
I will throw some pics up.

see ya

hendog-

Nice photos added to the library! What a sweet rig. Heaven forbid but it's a little tempting to cheat on my Trackmaster relationships the way you drive that snowtrac around! :clap:

I saw that blue/yellow wide-trac snow trac... a snow master??? I really like that wide stance... one of those may really be too tempting for me not to jump at. I think that's the only machine that may make me stray from the beaten path. Well, I really like snow ops new rig... but that's at least keeping in it the family. :brows:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
THat is what i need... a 601 with an automatic trans!!!! Nice video...!

Yea, usually when people upgrade to a 300 engine they throw in the auto while they're at it... really relaxing ... but then... is so much pleasure still legal??????? :clap::brows::biggrin::yum:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter

bkvail-

Also... see plug as from original configuration.

Attachments

• plug_as_original.jpg
    plug_as_original.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 336