• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Aggressive Wild Buffalo are causing problems in Indiana

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Technically they are bison, not buffalo, but the police are warning the "selfie generation" that these are not friendly animals and to avoid them. Nobody seems to be claiming the animals and the police not sure where they originated.

There are some farms in the area that raise bison and/or buffalo for meat, they are valuable animals. I know of one horse facility that used to (perhaps still does?) raise bison not too far from where I live. It is likely these bison were destined for the BBQ grill but got loose from their fields. I'd bet from a small hobby farm because I can't imagine a commercial meat producing ranch would not have had the appropriate fencing to contain their livestock.

https://fox59.com/2018/08/27/aggres...-in-northern-indiana-police-department-warns/
HAMILTON, Ind. – A police department in northern Indiana is warning residents about aggressive bison on the loose.

The Hamilton Police Department issued the warning late Sunday night, saying there are “numerous wild buffalo” roaming in the area of Johnson Lake Rd to E. Bellefontaine Rd. and west of 100 East to 200 East.

According to the police department, they are not friendly and they should not be approached.

As of this morning, the animals are still on the loose. The origin of the bison is unclear at this time.

https://wgntv.com/2018/08/27/aggres...on-the-loose-in-northern-indiana-police-warn/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 5.43.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 5.43.44 AM.png
    105.6 KB · Views: 57

Bamby

If they belonged to someone a person would think they would be ear tagged or otherwise marked for identification. They are supposed to make for some mighty fine eating..:smile5:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
If they belonged to someone a person would think they would be ear tagged or otherwise marked for identification. They are supposed to make for some mighty fine eating..:smile5:

Yes they do but be careful not to overcook it. A rancher neighbor of my S-I-L kept a few bison as pasture ornaments. He gave them to the local Nature Preserve. They became too much trouble.

A 4-strand barbed wire fence won't keep a buffalo in a pasture if it decides to leave, they're not cows, and for some reason they just seem to get the wanderlust occasionally.

After having experienced the selfie generation up in Yellowstone a few years back, I'm surprised more people aren't stomped to death.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a friend, a former print customer, who sold his print company and started a Bison farm near Lebanon MO. Several thousand acres of them. He manages to keep them fenced in. I have no idea how. But as a neighbor, I have not heard any stories of them roaming loose. And a good many cattlemen here in the Ozarks get our cows loose all the time.

It's fairly easy to walk the neighbor's cattle back to their home pastures but Bison???? I hope I never have that challenge.

His meat is available in local stores and some restaurants serve it as well. They are excellent eating.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a neighbor who used to feed out buffalo for market. His fences were twice normal height, or 8 feet of woven wire hanging from sawed of light poles.

I don't remember his ever getting loose. He did tell me the most dangerous thing for them to do was to vaccinate them. Running them through a catch shoot was a very exciting experience for the veterinary. :unsure:

To sort and move them individually was best done from horse back. A horse can move more quickly than an older man can.... :thumbup:

Electric prods will get you an undesirable result he always said. Best to just take your time, and let them come around to the idea you have in mind..

Btw breeding season is in full swing in Buffalo herds right now!! :yum:

Regards, Kirk

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes they do but be careful not to overcook it. A rancher neighbor of my S-I-L kept a few bison as pasture ornaments. He gave them to the local Nature Preserve. They became too much trouble.

A 4-strand barbed wire fence won't keep a buffalo in a pasture if it decides to leave, they're not cows, and for some reason they just seem to get the wanderlust occasionally.

After having experienced the selfie generation up in Yellowstone a few years back, I'm surprised more people aren't stomped to death.

One of the some reasons is two bulls fighting for herd breeding rights. When that happens, not much will slow down the loser.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
To sort and move them individually was best done from horse back. A horse can move more quickly than an older man can.... :thumbup:

Yea … if he can hold on. :yum:

Franc, your friend had several thousand acres, most of the places in East Texas are several hundred acres or less, sometimes much less. They are probably okay if they have room to roam but confining them on small acreage is asking for trouble.

I have watched Tom, my S-I-L's neighbor move them around on horseback. You guide them, you don't push them. I also watched him, from my truck, try to get them through a gate in to a new pasture and they decided it would be much easier just to walk through the barbed wire fence. :yum: Lord, he was pissed. That's one of the reasons he gave them away to the Nature Preserve.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
An outfit that borders on I-70/Kansas Turnpike just east of the East Topeka toll gate has a small herd of either buffalo or "beefalo" (we can't tell the difference from the road). The fences aren't as stout as the ones the Army uses to control the herd they maintain at Ft. Riley but so far we haven't had any "strays" on the Interstate.

Good eats, as the guy on Food Network says. :clap: