• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wanted: Super Imp 1450

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm new to the forum and looking for a cat to access my family cabin in Colorado. We have a place at 11,000' in one of Colorado's "snow belts", and access it by a narrow old logging road (hence the need for a small cat). I am looking for a Super Imp 1450 WT with a full cab, but don't really need hydros or blade. I'm a former groomer (15 yrs ago?) and looking forward to getting back on the sticks, even if it is a tiny machine! Not in a hurry and want to wait for the right machine to come along.
Many thanks for any tips!

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Question for the experts: I'm 6'-1" and 200 lbs - think I'll fit ok in a Super Imp for a 5 mile run up to the cabin?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Nixon modified his cab I believe from the looks of it you will fit that one beter than the origonal

rdynes01

Check KSL classifieds out of Salt Lake City, they always have several snowcats for sale including Super Imps

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Question for the experts: I'm 6'-1" and 200 lbs - think I'll fit ok in a Super Imp for a 5 mile run up to the cabin?

You will be fine. :smile:

I am 6'3" and I fit a Snow Trac. Also a standard Imp as well.

The Super Imp is a nice machine. Wouldn't mind having one myself.

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
any interest in a project?
full cab

mercedes 3.0L turbo
Automatic (4 spd)

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice machine but way out of my range.

One thing to consider: is paying up-front, or on the go. Niksons rig is ready to roll, and you shouldn't have much repair cost for a while. You can certainly get the same base unit cheaper, but you will spend the $$$ over the next few seasons getting it where you want it.

Nothing about a snow cat is cheap. Parts, repair services, the new diamond broach for the wife...

If you are handy with, and have, tools you can certainly trade money for time. but be warned there is always one more thing that needs fixing.

my 2 ¢

CT

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
One thing to consider: is paying up-front, or on the go. Niksons rig is ready to roll, and you shouldn't have much repair cost for a while. You can certainly get the same base unit cheaper, but you will spend the $$$ over the next few seasons getting it where you want it.

Nothing about a snow cat is cheap. Parts, repair services, the new diamond broach for the wife...

If you are handy with, and have, tools you can certainly trade money for time. but be warned there is always one more thing that needs fixing.

my 2 ¢

CT

I appreciate that CT, and I believe you are right. I have no expectations of a "hassle-free" ownership, and realize it's gonna take some work. I recently restored a camper from the axle up, and it always turns into way more cost and work than you think it should. I have no problem with sweat equity - pretty much everything I do needs it!

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
All:

Basically I bought a 1450 from MN outdoors.

It was nicely distressed.

NO motor
No hood
No windshield frame

I have since sourced a front clip, seats and windshield frame.
I located a 89' 3.0L six cyl turbo motor and transmission into the chassis.
I have fired the engine and have the wire harness and trans linkages roughed in.

I have inspected the rear diff and determined that I will be changing a seal on the pinion as it appears some rope or twine polished it up.

I sourced new master cyls and recreated the slaves.

the belts have been evaluated by a local provider, the covers are cracked and the belting is OK at best. I intended to change them a year or two out.

sprockets are good.

boggies are solid filled

I had not prepared a price as selling it was not on my radar until recently.

When I bought it, I was purchasing another machine and this just jumped on the trailer. I took a chance on the diff and was happy to find it in great condition.

I can email some photos. I will find a couple to put here for all to see.

I will brew up a price after discussing value with the other half.....

Mike

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter

Im 6'1" 210 and fit just fine when I drove it. Quality build unit. I wouldn't blink an eye at buying it. Nice ride if its for sale….

rdynes01

Nickson's 1450 is beautiful, well engineered and will definitely make someone a superb machine. But for less than half of his asking price you can find a 1200 series Spryte that will do everything his rig will do and maybe more. 1450s are a tad heavy and when it comes to Rocky Mountain powder the Sprytes wil have better flotation while being able to carry more with their full cab configurations. I've come across several full cab Sprytes ready to go anywhere in the 25-35K range . Once again, Nickson's 1450 is a beautiful , clean, like new machine but if I can find a Spryte that is mechanically sound and will get you reliably in and out of your snowbound piece of heaven for 10K to 30K less I'll do it even if the machine may have a few paint chips and some cosmetic flaws. Just my 2 cents worth.......Bob

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Find what you can afford, then afford a trip to look at it, WITH NO CHECK BOOK IN HAND. Then think about the whole picture. engine, drive train, running gear. Body, corrosion, fender washers, structure. Tracks, belts, grousers etc.

Then, when you get home ask: Did I see enough to make the decision?

I was pushed for time. Didn't check the "as advertised" No, the wheels weren't foamed as advertised, No, the engine wasn't good. No, the ...
[PS: I would unplug the sellers life support system to charge my cell phone,]
[pps, someday I hope to have the chance]

You are buying a rig to take you where rescue isn't a certain thing, make the decision on that basis.

CT

Anyone have experience with a Bombi in deep snow? How does it do?

Deep snow, pretty good. Deep snow and steep terrain, not so good.

I personally would take a Spryte over just about any other mechanical snowcat.

Pisten Bully is hands down the winner in my book but that is for another thread.

I would agree with ASC I have an imp 1404 and a Spryte 1202. They are both lightweight machines and both have their own perks. Imp/super imp can be hauled on a standard car trailer. I bought a deckover gooseneck for my Spryte... My Spryte is considerably roomier and floats much better than my imp. Also smoother riding due to a torsion suspension vs. leaf spring. Larger boggie wheels make the grouser noise much less as well. I would love to get a super imp someday and have the whole lineup but personally I wouldn't sell my Spryte to buy a super imp or a 1450..

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey guys, I really appreciate all the expertise and feedback. I put together a table of a few machines to compare apples to apples. I used spec items that were important to me. Based on this and what some of you are saying, it looks like a 1450 may not be the machine for me, and might actually sink like a stone in our steep and deep rocky mt. powder (check out loaded ground pressure). The Spryte is looking pretty good (except for the width), as is a Bombi possibly as a starter machine.

Let me know if you guys see any glaring oversights or errors in this table.

picture.php

Last edited:
I'm not sure why the Spryte is only a 1900# payload and the 1450 and 1500 are 2400# payloads? Without a doubt the Spryte is capable of hauling more than either of the others. I had a Spryte 1202C with narrow tracks and with a custom made 10 passenger cab that weighed at least 1000# and hauled 12 200# plus adults through the steepest and deepest snow and it never hesitated to perform.It was 8' wide and could cut side hills much better than wider cats. Your charts indicates a wide track Spryte but the width you have of 99" is for a narrow version as the wide track is about 10'

Keep in mind there were several series of Sprytes with different suspensions,engines, transmissions, cabs and empty weights.

Concerning weight, how much you actually haul will be the deciding factor for ground pressure not what the maximum GVW could be.

I don't know the Imps very well but have owned and driven both the Bombi and Spryte in the exact depth of snow and the exact steep terrain and there is no comparison. The Spryte will climb right up a steep slope that the Bombi simply can't climb. The Bombi was my first snowcat and it is near and dear to me but you could put a Bombi on the back of a Spryte and it would out perform an empty Bombi in all conditions. The Bombi is also a tight fit but putting in a bench seat is a definite improvement.

Concerning ground pressure I would not get focused just on ground pressure. There are other factors that affect performance in steep deep snow. The angle of the track on the Bombi plus the shortness of the tracks, hinders its ability to get up on top of the snow. It will actually backup better in the real deep snow than it will go forward. Also. sometimes a heavier footprint compacts the snow a little more and allows the snowcat to propel itself forward better than a light footprint, depends on the type of snow.

The elevation you are at is going to be a big factor on performance. The highest I ever got my Spryte was probably 5000' and was typically much lower than that.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I have owned and operated many different snow cats including the 1404 Imp, 1450 Super Imp, 1202 Spryte, LMC1200, LMC 1500, Bombi BR 100+, VMC 101, Snotrack Trackmaster and Bombardier SV250. I groomed snowmobile trails, one night riding shotgun in a BR350, a few nights in a a Tucker and two winter seasons in Piston Bully's' at high elevation in deep Wyoming powder snow. The Piston Bully's, BR350 and VMC were hydrostatic cats so are in a different league when compared to brake steer and not always the easiest to operate or maintain for a personal snow cat.

If I had to choose one snow cat to own and maintain for personal use I would choose the 1200 series Thiokol Spryte DMC LMC over any of the others. They are built very well and require minimum maintenance while performing better than most of the others listed in the above group of prior owned/operated snow cats. I liked the Super Imp but the track/suspension system is a weak point on it when compared to the 1200 series. :myopinion:
I spent some time in breakdown mode in several of the above snow cats including the groomers. They can all breakdown and you want to be in one that you can work on and be able to get repair parts quickly if needed.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks ASC, definitely learning a lot here. The more I read (and watch on YouTube), the more it seems that a Spryte might be the ticket. I'm having a hard time sorting through all the 1200 models though. It would seem I'd want a OC12 and auto tranny, but not sure what specific models I should be looking at? It also seems that some of the LMC 1200 models got very heavy - like 6000 lbs or so? A little confused on that...

I need something that I can haul with my Tundra which has a tow capacity of 6700 lbs or so. A 4000 lb Spryte + trailer will put me just about there. The overall width of the Spryte with standard tracks is about 8.5' which is OK for towing, but may need to do some widening/clearing of my timbered access road! That's assuming standard tracks are what I need instead of WT.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
:biggrin:I myself own several different cats and can tell you that depending on conditions no snocat is perfect for every situation. I have had my LMC1500 stuck as many times as my Thiokol Super Imp 1450. Both machines are very good performers but both have limitations. Have had both machines at 10,000 plus elevation and 5to 6 foot powder and both bellied up and kept going. Are you planning on packing trail into your cabin or just going in one time? If you use trail more often it sure helps. My favorite cat overall all is the Tucker . Ride cant be beat and no brake steer to impede progress on a steep climb.Have had problems with trying to turn brakesteer cat in deep powder on a steep incline.Any way there are alot of good machines to choose from but i do beleive most will have limits. Good Luck on your quest!

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
These will not float like a 1200. They will turn really tight. Gearing is pretty tall (non-reducted OC-12) and they go fast.

Attachments

• IMG_0720 (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0720 (640x480).jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 188

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
:biggrin: Are you planning on packing trail into your cabin or just going in one time?

I will definitely be packing the road throughout the winter. In an ideal scenario I'm up there every weekend, but in reality may be more like 2X per month. But regardless, the idea is to set up the base so when the big storms come there is something to chew on.

sheep_mtn

GOLD Site Supporter
These will not float like a 1200. They will turn really tight. Gearing is pretty tall (non-reducted OC-12) and they go fast.

Nice looking 1450! The tall gearing would def be an issue on my steep road/deep snow. Slow and steady will be the name of the game...(I think).