• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I was thinking of getting a new 1/2-ton truck

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
But having some real issues on which brand. I have no particular loyalty.

In general, I want a crew-cab, short box, 4WD, towing package with a small V8 (5.* liter) and standard amenities (power windows, locks, A/C...). I don't want Nav, OnStar or any other computer gadgetry)

Ford's are priced way too high. They start at $40K and go up. Haven't driven one in several years but heard the new ones don't have a very pleasant ride.

Dodge. Haven't liked them in the last 10 years. Can't really quantify why though. Trying to pick or build one on their web site is a heck of a chore. With their 5.7L it's pretty poor on mileage (13/19 mpg's).

Chevy/GMC - Still seem to be the best "bang for the buck" but I'm having an issue with the whole bailout thing. Priced right and decent options, mileage...

Toyota. Would like to give them a shot but they have dismal fuel mileage (the worst of the pack), dealerships don't like to deal and last I looked, they were the weakest of the group.

Honda. What a frigging joke.

So, what's a guy to do? Thoughts/recommendations?

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Check out the Nissan's, both my son's and BIL have them. Great towing capacity truck with a 5.7, price friendly considering the others.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Greg. Never thought of Nissan. Just went to their site and the closest dealer is the same lot as the Chevy. They only have one Titan and it's $46K (gulp) with 12/17 on the MPG's.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Greg. Never thought of Nissan. Just went to their site and the closest dealer is the same lot as the Chevy. They only have one Titan and it's $46K (gulp) with 12/17 on the MPG's.

They deal, my son bought a 2012 "left over" 6 months ago. Sticker was 43K, he got it for 34K. It's loaded to the ass!

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Check out the Nissan's, both my son's and BIL have them. Great towing capacity truck with a 5.7, price friendly considering the others.
I sure hope Nissan's worked on their quality some then. I bought a brand new Titan and it got the worst gas mileage of any truck I've ever owned. Traded it in 2 months later on a new ford. Hated the POS.

YMMV...

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I sure hope Nissan's worked on their quality some then. I bought a brand new Titan and it got the worst gas mileage of any truck I've ever owned. Traded it in 2 months later on a new ford. Hated the POS.

YMMV...

Well, my youngest and my BIL have had theirs for almost 4 years with no issues. So far my oldest hasn't had any issues ............ just keeping experiences even. I'll buy my youngest sons truck when he goes to new! My Dodge can't get the mileage those Nissan's get albeit just a couple mpg!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That 12/17 on the Titan concerns me a bit. I don't do a lot of driving but my average over the life of my truck is a tad under 40 MPH. The new Chevy's are rated at 15/21. When fuel is $4/gal, I'd like the mileage of an old Isuzu Pup Diesel.

Actually, I've been thinking of going 3/4 ton but won't go with the 6.0L (or larger) until/unless prices go back down to the $2.nn/gal range.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jarod gets just shy of 14 mpg in his Titan. Major mileage is 30 mile round trip to work rarely topping 60mph.

My Dodge Hemi (it is a 2500) was published 13/19 and I haven't smelled 13mpg, consistent 11.5 no matter what I do.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
My Dodge Hemi (it is a 2500) was published 13/19 and I haven't smelled 13mpg, consistent 11.5 no matter what I do.

+1 on the Hemi.

I hit 13 with mine before Ethanol polluted the gas. Now 11.5 is about right. I can hit 18 on the highway if it's flat and I cruise and let it go into 4 cylinder mode.

Big truck mileage sucks.

jwstewar

My '99 Chevy 1500 ECSB 4x4 on the highway averages 19-20 MPGs. It was rated 13/17 I believe. In town it does about 15/16. This is the 5.3 w/ 3.73 rear gears and the old 4L60e transmission. Pulling our 36' camper I get about 9.5 MPGs. Pulling the tractor or the stock trailer it gets about 13 MPGs. I'm now at 120k on the odomoter w/o any issues. I just changed the oil in it on Saturday. Also greased the front end and dropped the driveshaft and greased the u-joints. Then I rotated the tires. Everything underneath is still clean and shows very little signs of any rust or anything.

Now, I wish our 2008 Suburban could get the mileage my Silverado does, but the extra weight and such does it in especially w/ city driving. Took it to Cleveland a few weeks back and running 70-75 most of the way, it got right at 18 MPGs.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I am prejudiced as I would prefer a Dodge. My 95 Cummins one ton has been a phenomenal truck with only the radio failing during it's 18 year life.

That and a fuel regulator valve on the Cummins, Going on to 270,000 miles.

But, I'm not too sure about one built today.

If your political principles don't bother you, frankly the Chevy is a great value and right now the company is building them well. Bang for the buck GM takes it hands down.

Next on my list would be the Ford. They have always built a good truck.

Then the Nissan. They have some irritating issues but for the most part they ust won't quit running.

As for Dodge, I will wait a few yers and see what the Italians do to an otherwise pretty good truck. Darnelli Chrysler took most of the value out oof the line during the last 12 years, after Diamler sold them off.

Darnelli ruined it just like he did Home Depot.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am prejudiced as I would prefer a Dodge. My 95 Cummins one ton has been a phenomenal truck with only the radio failing during it's 18 year life.
Agreed. They were nice trucks back then. Now, not so much as best I can tell.

If your political principles don't bother you, frankly the Chevy is a great value and right now the company is building them well. Bang for the buck GM takes it hands down.
Agreed again but I do have principles. That's what I'm fighting with right now. If it wasn't for what they've done as a company (with gov'n help), it would be a no-brainer and I'd be at a GMC dealer.

And what's with the rocket scientists that do their internet sales?
Dealer A
(paraphrased via e-mail)
Me - I'm looking for a new truck. I want pretty much a new version of what I have now. Here's what I have now (and I lay it out in writing and a half-dozen pictures to show options and condition). Work up some rough numbers for me and let me know.

Him - Here's a 2012 like yours and he lays out the specs. Blah, blah, blah... then silver with black interior, Z71 package.

Me - Hey, that doesn't look bad but I can't stand a black interior and I don't want the Z71 package. I know my choices for a 2012 model are limited, so show me a 2013. I know it'll cost more...

Him - Here's a 2013. $2K more then lays out the specs. Blah, blah, blah. White with black interior and Z71 package.

Me - reading the e-mail. I never replied... WTF is wrong with these people. My criteria is "sort of like my current truck" BUT I DON'T WANT BLACK OR Z71.

AndyM

Charter Member
Me - reading the e-mail. I never replied... WTF is wrong with these people. My criteria is "sort of like my current truck" BUT I DON'T WANT BLACK OR Z71.

Sounds like the reply I received from an email I sent to GM in 2009.
I carefully researched the proper way to make sure it got to the correct department, and let them know how closing an 80 year old Chevrolet dealership owned by the grandson of its founder would be detrimental to our town of 700 people.
In closing, I said even though the last two new cars I bought from GM were the two best vehicles I had ever owned, I had no intention of buying a new car from GM again unless it was in my local community...

Their response:
Dear Mr. AndyM,
Thank you for your interest in a new GM vehicle... Blah, blah, blah. Delete.

Back on topic, I would go for the Ford. Just get the options you want without anything extra beyond that. The ones on the lots are loaded with the high profit options, and most of them you probably don't want. Build one online exactly the way you want... I'll bet you will end up just under $30k if you stick to getting only what you want. The other secret is you may get a better deal from the small dealerships than the big ones. The big ones know how to get more money from you every step of the way, on the truck price, financing, trade-in. etc. The small place is looking to get you back as a return customer. The former Chevrolet dealer in my town of 700 people now sells used cars and does service... I call for an oil change and the service guy walks over to my house four blocks away and picks up my car and drops it off again. The big city place doesn't do that!

Last edited:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Devil's advocate.....

Why do you want a new truck? Is there something irredeemably wrong with your current truck? If you are looking to just reduce fuel cost (overall), then just get a sedan as a daily driver and keep your truck for when you need it.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
you couldn't pay me to buy this new crap if i had to my vote would likely go nissan as the local rental company bought a fleet of them instead of fords this year they seem to be working out well

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
and don't talk about milage on any of these new minni trucks that ate wheaties they all suck i could get better milage out of my old international as long as it was tuned up right the gas milage sucks on these new trucks for what you pay for them i expect 20 plus mpg

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian , this is just my experience , not a recommendation either way.
I have an 07 Nissan , the only thing that I have had an issue with is the front rotors , they are pretty much crap . They tend to warp . As far as mileage ,driving on the back country roads , I get between 14.5 and 15.5 . On long trips the I've gotten is 18-18.5 . That's with a camper top,and the bed full of luggage, etc ,jan and I +2.5 dogs on the cab . That's at 65 -70 . Any faster , the mileage starts dropping .

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
If milage is the thing go diesel. My '95 gets close to 20 MPG on what used to be the cheapest fuel at the pump.
Pulling my 4,000# trailer loaded with 8-10 grand of weight, I get 14-15 MPG.
Whensitting at idle for a reswt stop nap,it burns next to nothing while heating or cooling the cab. AC doesn't effect milage so as you could notice.

Change the oil every 3 K and the filters every 6 K and the thing will run forever. The body will rot before the engie needs any work. And you will never be putting corn syrup in you tank.:whistling:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I work on vehicles every day. I see them all.

Sorry, but the new Fords are not something I would spend money on. Cheap plastic all around. I'm not impressed. The engineering and design all scream "cheap".

Ram is better, but not by a lot.

GM, I hate to say is the best looking manufacture of the domestic trucks. At least in the half ton class, from what I've seen.

Nissan would be the last Asian vehicle (car or truck) I would ever buy judging by the quality of construction. Absolutely the worst of the Japanese imports design and manufacture wise.

Don't even get me started on the Korean Krap.