• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Old Ford finally quit

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
:doh:My 2006 Ford diesel finally stopped running . It has been running rough at start up for about 7 months and then this week it just quit and refuses to start now . I checked the codes with a code reader and the Fuel Injection Module has completely quit .

Thinking I was still under warranty I talked with Ford early this year and they told me it was out of warranty by 6 days and they would not do anything . I tried to explain that the nearest Ford Dealer is 150 miles away and I could not bring it in on a moments notice . The mechanic told me they all go out at about 90,000 miles. I have 91,000 miles . Ford wanted $1500 for parts plus reprogramming and R&R .

After getting on the internet and checking about this it seems like this is a very common problem on Fords . Its 30 minutes to remove the unit and $250 to have my unit rebuilt with a "Lifetime warranty" at a local Electronics store in Boise . He told me they do hundreds of these a year . JFI

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Get a Cummins!:yum: They all have too much electronic stuff these days. Makes my old 98 Chevy look better than ever.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Get a Cummins!:yum: They all have too much electronic stuff these days. Makes my old 98 Chevy look better than ever.

Yep , I agree . I am happily driving the old "93" Chevy truck that we use as a ranch truck . That damn old truck just keeps running no matter how bad it looks .

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I am happily driving the old "93" Chevy truck that we use as a ranch truck . That damn old truck just keeps running no matter how bad it looks .

I had a '91 F-150 that was exactly the same. It spent 20-years sitting outside, looked rougher than hell but ran like a dream. My mechanic nephew wanted an old truck to tinker with so I drove it to Georgia and left it with him. All I used it for was running stuff to the dump and taking the trash down to the gate once a week. My nephew drives it 5 days a week to work. Go figure.

As for the Ford diesel, mine just passed 70K so it's nice to know what I have to look forward to and that there is a work around. Thanks Al.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Al the internationals have the same roblem with the driver modules i just diagnosed the problem in one and wrote an estamate they opted a cheaper route the truck hasn't started since

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Al the internationals have the same roblem with the driver modules i just diagnosed the problem in one and wrote an estamate they opted a cheaper route the truck hasn't started since

Didn't the Fords or a lot of them have the International diesel in them?

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
You can blame the ongoing horsepower and torque war and the EPA for all the electronics and other added "eqpt" the diesel engines have now.
Mike

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
On the newer ones with high preasure injectors, Never run them out of fuel. And change the fuel filters at the recomended intervals. This will help alot.

I have an 06 I use daily and it has 160K now on it. Due to letting a tire store change the oil with aftermarket filters in the fuel system that didn't fit, it was starved badly for fuel. Since it has been a fairly common occurance for the injectors to fail. NAPA sells rebuilt injectors with 3 year warranty, when new from Ford have a 1 year...go figure. Next time the Ford guys are going to get a surprise.

Al your going to have problems with the EGR coller eventally as well. You will notice a coolant leak that doesn't show. The tail pipe will get wet looking, cause your passing coolant through the combustion chamber. Around $2,500 later you will be fine.

The basic engine is a good one, but it's the shit they bolted to it that is the problem...

Regards, Kirk

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
On the newer ones with high preasure injectors, Never run them out of fuel. And change the fuel filters at the recomended intervals. This will help alot.

I have an 06 I use daily and it has 160K now on it. Due to letting a tire store change the oil with aftermarket filters in the fuel system that didn't fit, it was starved badly for fuel. Since it has been a fairly common occurance for the injectors to fail. NAPA sells rebuilt injectors with 3 year warranty, when new from Ford have a 1 year...go figure. Next time the Ford guys are going to get a surprise.

Al your going to have problems with the EGR coller eventally as well. You will notice a coolant leak that doesn't show. The tail pipe will get wet looking, cause your passing coolant through the combustion chamber. Around $2,500 later you will be fine.

The basic engine is a good one, but it's the shit they bolted to it that is the problem...

Regards, Kirk

Gee Thanks ....... anybody got a bike for sale ?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
just get the krusty finnished you will get there faster, anyways its just a ford you want a real truck, pick up a 12 valve dodge. and replace the ford which stands for f$%#en old rebuilt dodge

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al if my EGR cooler gives out once again, I will opt to take it to an independant diesel shop. They can remove the entire system, and cure that issue with the 6.0 liter. This supposedly cures many of the ills they have, as they don't breath junk through the engine. You might have to buy a controler so it doesn't throw a code, and check engine light. Wish your warranty was still good, they would have taken care of it.

Regards, Kirk

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al if my EGR cooler gives out once again, I will opt to take it to an independant diesel shop. They can remove the entire system, and cure that issue with the 6.0 liter. This supposedly cures many of the ills they have, as they don't breath junk through the engine. You might have to buy a controler so it doesn't throw a code, and check engine light. Wish your warranty was still good, they would have taken care of it.

Regards, Kirk
Thanks ! I appreciate the information . This will be my last new( to me) truck . I still plan to make a move to the Island home in the next 5 -8 years so buying another new car or truck ain't going to happen .:smile:

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
pick up a copy of diesel power magizine and you will find several companys out there that make egr deleate kits i like the ones where you send in the ecm to have it reprogramed to ignore the lack of egr i'm not a big fan of the plug in hp controlers if i were to buy one i think i would go banks as they have an awsome r&d department

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Okie Dokie!!! I removed the FICM and sent it off in Monday's mail to be rebuilt with a life time warranty . I received it back today in the mail . Plugged it in , bolted it down and the old rig fired right . The toughest part was getting the plug ins to release and then snap back together on the back of the FICM unit . Watched a U tube video on the R&R and it was damn well worth it . Total cost including shipping both ways was $270 . Beats the hell out of $2000 that Ford was going to charge me .

Checked it all out with a Code Reader and I am good to go :17875:!!!