• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Do BOSE "noise canceling" headphones reduce harmful-TRACTOR-noise?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just curious but I spend a reasonable amount of time on the tractor and typically will put ear plugs in while I'm working. I've been thinking of getting a set of earphones so I can listen to my iPod.

Everyone raves about Bose. My question is do they actually reduce the dangerous sound levels or do they simply mask it with electronic gimicks so that the sound you want to hear comes through?

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...ncelling_headphones/quietcomfort_15/index.jsp

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Do BOSE "noise canceling" headphones reduce harmful noise?

Haven't tried those Bob. I use the Peltor Worktunes with an MP3 input. They have a limit to the sound level you get out of them and a 22db noise reduction level.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Do BOSE "noise canceling" headphones reduce harmful noise?

Well I'm trying to decide if I should ask for BOSE or PELTORs for my upcoming birthday. I know the Peltors are good for tractoring, shooting, etc. They are not electronic noise canceling but rather they simply are sound deadening. They reduce all sound to safe thresholds.

The Bose have electronic noise canceling and I'm curious if they reduce unsafe noise to safe levels. I know they are not safe for use while shooting, but what I don't know is if they will reduce tractor noise down to a safe threshold AND provide great sound too? If so they will be my first choice because they can be used on an airplane for listening, and can be used on a tractor.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
My wife and I have used the Bose units while operating our diesel powered Grasshopper mowers (we have 'his and hers' units) for 7 or 8 years now. They work great. You don't have to turn your music up loud to hear it and the sound quality is great.

I was always told that if my ears were ringing after doing something, I should have been wearing ear protection. Running a diesel ZTR doesn't seem that loud, but after 4-6 hours on one, you ears ring quite a bit when you get off.

The last year I've almost exclusively used my Shure SE535's. Shure SE535's They block out more sound and aren't as cumbersome as the larger headphones. I didn't think I'd like the "in the ear" buds, and I don't care for any of the cheap ones I've tried, but these have been a joy. I'm getting ready to go mow now and have them in my pocket. Here they are with the ear pieces I prefer. They put the Bose to shame on pure sound quality. By far the best sounding 'anything' I've ever heard. When I fly, I put them in my ears, turn on a favorite playlist on my iPhone, and go directly to sleep until my wife wakes me and tells me it's time to land. I'd never been able to sleep on a plane before. Sleeping with the Bose was never an option just like it wouldn't be for any over the ears type.

Attachments

• Shure.jpg
    Shure.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 788