• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Exhaust manifold

J5 Welder

Hi everybody, I have a bombardier J5 and the orignal engine that was in it was the Dodge 251 flathead straight six and the exhaust manifold thats on the engine the exhaust outlet exits upwards at #1 cylinder. Now this engine was gone to pieces when i bought it and now i have another dodge flathead engine in to it but its a 230ci, (a smaller engine). So my question is is there an exhaust manifold for the 218/230(same size engine in length and width) with the upwards outlet at #1 cylinder?​

Dr. Zaugg

You should call around and find farm equipment salvage yards. The OLD Massey Harris 92 combine has i think what you are looking for. Not the Super 92, It had a 265 engine, Even an older yet Super 27 combine had the 230 engine. (As best as i can remember)
Paul

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have a 230 that is 2" shorter than the 251 in another machine. Are you telling us that there is another 230 that is the same length as a 251 ???

When I tried to replace the valve cover gaskets on the 230, the new ones were too long but too short for the 251 so I'm confused.....

J5 Welder

If im not mistaken, I think some older forklifts had the 230 flathead with the upturned exhaust manifold.

I already have an exhaust manifold ordered for the 230 from Rustyhope, that came out of a car with the downward outlet, so i guess what i can do is modify the manifold by brazing an outlet that turns up!!:brows:

J5 Welder

I have a 230 that is 2" shorter than the 251 in another machine. Are you telling us that there is another 230 that is the same length as a 251 ???

When I tried to replace the valve cover gaskets on the 230, the new ones were too long but too short for the 251 so I'm confused.....

Sorry if I confused you, but yes the 251 and the 230 are different lengths...your right, the 230 is 2" shorter than the 251.

What I mean to say was the 218 and the 230 are the same.

moose

Are you still looking for a manifold? I make them out of steel tube. Check my website. Thanks for looking!