• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

This is a what a Marine is.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
The Proud.. The Strong.. The Few.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDcNnpmWCCg"]YouTube- United States Marine Corps - circa 1981[/ame]

I have the utmost respect for our men in uniform.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I always figured the Marines were just the same as the army, just different uniforms (my dad, once a sailor, called them "sea-going bellhops"). I changed my mind after reading the biography of Chesty Puller. At least during his time, they were some tough characters.

mtwaterguy

I always figured the Marines were just the same as the army, just different uniforms (my dad, once a sailor, called them "sea-going bellhops"). I changed my mind after reading the biography of Chesty Puller. At least during his time, they were some tough characters.

Ever notice that every Navy ship has a detachment of Marines to provide security?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe the bigger ones do, I don't know. The ones I served on had no Marines aboard.

They were wearing camouflage. You just couldn't see them. :whistling:

Actually, it's a good question. Are they on all Naval vessels? Which ones aren't they on?

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Actually, it's a good question. Are they on all Naval vessels? Which ones aren't they on?

All battleships and carriers and any smaller ships, such as cruisers, that have an admiral aboard as other than a passenger. The Marine detachment also serves as the Admiral's on-board staff, handling his luggage among other duties; thus, seagoing bell-hops.:wink:

However, never call them "jar-heads", no matter that they wear those jar-lid hats. When I was still a "squid" we proved conclusively that this was a canard: you can't thread a square corner!:w00t2:

And if you weren't in, don't repeat that joke!! Nobody picks on my brothers who hasn't earned that right through shared blood.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe the bigger ones do, I don't know. The ones I served on had no Marines aboard.
I was on a smaller ship. AE (ammunition supply ship) we had a compliment of 420 (enlisted and officers) We had three marines onboard. They did not serve as security in any way. They were part of the helo (helicopter) operations. Good guys. We called em grunts and they called us squids. We all had fun together in Olongepo PI What a wild place that was. :eek: :dancing: :poto::burp::rock::alc::festive::boobies::wub:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
We all had fun together in Olongepo PI What a wild place that was. :eek: :dancing: :poto::burp::rock::alc::festive::boobies::wub:

Doc,

Did you spend all your time in the "houses":brows: down around Sh*t River, or did you save some time for the cheap booze and bands over on Grande Island?
:alc::burp:

Just curious; aren't that many around anymore with memories of Subic.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
I would say a-men and amen.....Have alot of memorys of subic.....yokosuka...and a few other places... as a side note. on the 27th of march....the day before my b-day I went in for a little roto ruting in the heart and one of the stepdown nurses was from the subic area. So it can be a small world out there..As to the square corner....Yes you can...It just hurts a lot!!! Later Jerry

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,

Did you spend all your time in the "houses":brows: down around Sh*t River, or did you save some time for the cheap booze and bands over on Grande Island?

Heck yeah, we made it to Grande Island. Also would go over to Clark AFB and fly to Manila for the weekend (free flights). Boy the strip on Olongapo holds the most memories for me. The little side cars or funny plastic cars with tassels I'd get a ride back to base in the morning and some would have V8 juice to help with a hangover.
Any of you experience the Cherry Club? I saw girls do tricks there that I've never seen anywhere state side. :yum:
Shit River was something else. Those 'good girls' in the boats with a net hoping you'd toss them a peso. And their brothers would swim for it if the girl missed. :eek:
What a place for sure. My ship had an issue with the prop and we were in short term dry dock for the repair. I think we were in dry dock for 4 or 6 weeks. Lots of liberty and 96 hour chits during that time. :alc: :beer: :D
Some of the bands over there were very impressive. Those kids were good.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc,

Heck yeah, we made it to Grande Island. Also would go over to Clark AFB and fly to Manila for the weekend (free flights). Boy the strip on Olongapo holds the most memories for me. The Pearl was our main bar hang out. Midnight curfue, so you had to be hooked up with a gal or back to subic by midnight or else. The little side cars or funny plastic cars with tassels I'd get a ride back to base in the morning and some would have V8 juice to help with a hangover.
Any of you experience the Cherry Club? I saw girls do tricks there that I've never seen anywhere state side. :yum:
Shit River was something else. Those 'good girls' in the boats with a net hoping you'd toss them a peso. And their brothers would swim for it if the girl missed. :eek:
What a place for sure. My ship had an issue with the prop and we were in short term dry dock for the repair. I think we were in dry dock for 4 or 6 weeks. Lots of liberty and 96 hour chits during that time. :alc: :beer: :D
Some of the bands over there were very impressive. Those kids were good.