• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hydrostatic drive - hydraulics plan?

JollyRoger

Hey everybody,

my name's Hannes, I'm 23 and study engineering. I am from Rohrmoos (small town next to Schladming where the 2013 FIS World Ski Championships took place) which is in Austria, so I hope you don't mind if I make some mistakes because English is not my mother tongue.

Now: I am studying engineering, right now I'm working on a project. I want to convert an old, backyard-made snow cat to hydrostatic drive. I have already drawn some plans but I'm not sure if they will work as I want them to.

Has anybody materials (hydraulic plans from other snow groomers) that can help me? I'd prefer older ones but it's okay too if they are from a modern machine. I don't care about the manufacturer either, it doesn't matter if they are from Prinoth, PistenBully, Bombardier...

I hope you guys can help me, thanks!

undy

Hello Hannes,

Welcome to this forum. Sounds like a cool project.

My cat's not hydro, so I can't help with the plans. But a word of advice, you'll get tons of help if you promise to share photos with everybody.:clap:

Good luck!

Paul

JollyRoger

Hey, that's some good advice ;)

Of course, as soon as something's done I will post pictures of it here. Even though I'm the new guy I wanna return something for the help.

But at first, I can't help myself, I need to plan the project and make a loooong shopping list. Parts are expensive, even if they are used, and I don't wanna put a lot of money in things I actually don't need and I'll have to update my welding equipment, my lathe and my milling machine. This will start next week, somewhen, I promise

undy

I know it's likely too far away to be of use, but I recently started a thread on this forum about some hydro motors for sale from some piece of agricultural equip.

Perhaps there are similar items available nearby to you.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not only that hannes, the parts in his link were previously used as a snow cat.

I don't recall the link to the add but they were in Michigan USA.

If you have a skiing area near you contact the hill equipment manager and they will have access to equipment that is still good and just not in use.

JollyRoger

I actually have one in my area but they are using very modern, big machines like the Prinoth Leitwolf/Beast/Everest, all the small ones are sold.

I'm not making this because I want to sell it and become rich or use it professionally. I want to do this because I want to.

But I have seen some excavators and stuff which were just thrown away because they were to old. I'm shure I can use pumps, valves and other stuff from something like that if I know what I need and they're pretty cheap. I took out a diesel engine from one one or two years ago and it was about 300 Dollars I guess.

Now I could have luck again. And I have no rush, if it takes me two years to build it I don't care. It's just a hobby, other guys in my age drink or do drugs. I build my own little snow groomer. I think that's much better and maybe it works better with girls :biggrin: