• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Another VW Powered Snow Cat?

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
alaska741 said:
:pat: ok everyone, I just received an email from tucker
My machine is a model 322. They emailed a brochure but i can't attach it because of the file size. Hope this will settle a lot of the questions people have been asking. :thumb:

Does sound like this machine is possibly a rare and very unique machine. Any pics and additional info would be of great interest to all of us forum members. You may want to do additional research on this machine as this may be much like BigUglyAls KT-7, the only known survivor of an experimental group of machines. :thumb: :eek:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
Does sound like this machine is possibly a rare and very unique machine.
Bill, I agree with you. I've been searching all over the web looking for Tucker information on the 322 and there is very little information out there. This could be one of the very rare machines that the world needs to learn more about! I did find 1 brochure posted about this unit, it is on one of two Tucker websites that seems to have some following but that is the only thing I found about it. There is some information about "mud & sno cats" from Tucker, but not configured for as a 322.

So this little 322 looks like it is a very special Tucker sno-cat. :a1:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK here is a VW powered snowcat that I'm willing to bet that Lyndon does not know about!

It looks like a set of Bombardier J5 Muskeg tracks were married to a 1955 VW? Supposedly this worked at one time.

Attachments

• 1VW-snocat-hybrid.jpg
    1VW-snocat-hybrid.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,544

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jack Sloan forwarded these to me. They are Tucker Kitten photos/links:

The first is a 222. . . This is from an offroader website:
http://www.route6x6.com/photogallery/images/pg203.jpg
pg203.jpg

I believe this is a 322 . . . You can rent this one and use it in your next movie, the website where this comes from is a firm that operates a rental fleet of unique vehicles and rents to movie studios.

http://www.militaryvehicles.com/vehicle_118.shtml
118_full.jpg

No clue about this, but it sure is interesting.
It appears to be a steam engine converted to a snow vehicle with tracks and skis? Take a close look at the guys sitting out on front where the 'cow catcher' would be, those guys have a steering wheel and they control the direction of travel! Doesn't look like that would be a very comfortable seating position.

Attachments

• snow-train-.jpg
    snow-train-.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,479

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
That appears to be a "LINN" tractor. Or a modification of one or something like that.

Check out this guy's website. He's got at least one of these in running condition. Quite the fellow.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Linn Tractor actuall built lots of these steam powered track units, primarily for Looging but also for road construction and mining. There's one on display in the Olympic Rain forest in Washington and One that was still in service for Logging in Maine well into the late 60's or early 70's. thats 1960/70 not 1800's. An associate of mine described a wreck where one of these pulling a bunch of large logs on skids in Maine slid down a mountain out of control. They said it cleared quite a bit of forest out before coming to rest(several acres). It took a couple of day to get it unstuck and back up and running. My friend worked there as a "summer hire" when he was still in High School. His graduating class was 71'. " everyone jumped off it and ran like hell" , " it had patches all over the boiler and looked like it had done this many times before".

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Linn Truck and a Steam Powered Tracked Snow Plow similar to the rig with tracks and skiis pictured above is on display in Abardeen Wa. It has a long narrow butterfly plow on front and adjustable wing plows on the sides. I have picts somewhere. Looks HEAVY! Possibly the forerunner to modern day "Pass Plows". It's right outside the museum. I'll go take New Picts if I can't find the ones at home, right after I fly from Prudhoe Bay Alaska, to Florida and back to Washington.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are a few interesting things I found :confused2:

I'm pretty sure these are VW based snowcats :pat:

Attachments

• 147068.jpg
    147068.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,424
  • 195742.jpg
    195742.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,304
  • 209847.jpg
    209847.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,304

Eric L

Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Here are a few interesting things I found :confused2:

I'm pretty sure these are VW based snowcats :pat:

...Bob, you da man... how in creation did you come up with those?

...just when you think you seen it all. ...and the reasen we all dont build our own snowcats is..???

I'm back onto my brainstorming.. it can't be that hard to do.

Eric

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like there's yet another VW-powered snowcat out there. Anyone heard of a PeppMobile? Powered by a turbo VW engine, seats 4-5, uses two modified Ski Doo tracks...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMexBLvezzA"]YouTube - PeppMobile Snow Trials[/ame]

So far the only info I can find on it is this little sniglet that I had to get from the 'wayback machine'...

http://web.archive.org/web/20050515010216/http://www.bcsledhed.com/Html/poker+run.htm

Cranbrook Poker Run - February 26, 2005

What an absolutely gorgeous day. The temperature hovered around -3C the night before and got up to about 10C during the afternoon. The trails at Lumberton were groomed to perfection, as usual. Over 150 people turned out for this annual fundraiser. There were sleds of all sorts, even some old antiques. The biggest crowd pleaser though was the 'Peppmobile'.

there were five pictures here that weren't scooped up by the wayback machine

This thing seats 4 or 5 people. It has a turbo Volkswagen engine under the hood and runs along on two modified Ski Doo tracks. Man, that thing could really go.

Last edited:

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Found another one! In the military study of over the snow vehicles they mention a VW Powered CANADAIR RAT that had a VW engine. The only pictures I could find were of some much bigger vehicle that couldn't have possibly be powered by a "volks engine". But the count is going up!
Here's 2 classics from some other threads:
KUBEL%20T.jpg

kristitrip-soda.jpg
VW's Engines: By Land, Sea, Water, Air, and Snow! Whats next for VW, Space?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
None of these are VW Powered but they have cousins that are: The Snow Planes here are Tatra. Tatra is an interesting study for those interested in cars, trucks and unique machinery. Lots of their designs were made by F. Porsche.
2038024854_ea091be899_o.jpg

2038025058_43b1e24363_o.jpg

2096691011_41b79ea2eb.jpg

2096704781_04441964b3.jpg

DSC01548.jpg

r9tat2.jpg

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We have one of these set-ups where I work:
Quad-plane.jpg
Most of the time we just haul personel and food supplies out to Bedalmi with ours. I don't think we have one of the minature groomers to go with our Quads.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
None of these are VW Powered but they have cousins that are: The Snow Planes here are Tatra. Tatra is an interesting study for those interested in cars, trucks and unique machinery.

This should be a Linc for TATRA, I'll try cross posting it to a more applicable Topic like trucks elsewhere in the Forums Forum later if no one else beats me to it. They make some really neat trucks! they were the first company to use UNI-BODY designs and made a neat 6 X 6 that had an upside down V8.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Tatra&FORM=MSNH11