• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTB

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
hmmmm

every snow cat owner believes their machine is the best, otherwise, why would they own it? Ford, chevy, dodge etc etc etc...

having many, many, many hours in just about every major manufacture ( relevant to the industry ) I can say, without a doubt, Tucker is the only machine that I would ever take into the back country, no, matter what year it is. I will add, a Frandee is the only other machine I might even consider to make a back country trip.

And every side by side comparison done from 1950 through the mid seventies, Tucker always came out as #1. Yes, I have about 15 some of these comparison test reports.

and being raised as a princess and taught only to say nice things, I will always tell the other owners what they want to hear, 'their machine is the best one on the snow'....

I keep my Snow Trac parked right next to my Volvo, V-8 powered wagon.

are we good Blackfoot ?

PP,

Thank you for the explanation. I confess I subscribed to Glacier Sean's theory of your usage of the Jedi Mind Trick as a means of diverting attention from Tuckers ("These aren't the droids you're looking for").

I tend to view people who read posts on the forum as one of four general types:

1.) Forum "regulars" who post frequently.
2.) Occasional posters, which would include new members.
3.) Members who lurk, but don't post.
4.) People who find information on the forum through a Google search.

In my posts I generally try to be as accurate as I can, though I'm certainly not infallible. When new people ask for advice I try to be honest, and give them the benefit of my experience. My assumption being that's what they want.

I confess I've never owned, operated, or even ridden in a Snow Trac, but my negative impression comes from two concerns. Please allow me to expand on those.

One: I'm in the latter stages of having a sixties muscle car professionally restored. Unfortunately the restoration process has required the purchase of some hard-to-find parts. Hard-to-find has also meant "expensive when you do find them". Snow Tracs have been out of production since 1981, and from various threads on the forum, it seems pretty common that people are looking for parts, and in some cases having difficulty finding them. Snowcats by definition are a seasonal use vehicle and it's frustrating to be unable to use your machine because you can't find a part (or parts) for it in a timely fashion. I would have a hard time recommending someone intentionally throw themselves into that briar patch when satisfactory alternatives exist.

Two: I bought my first snowcat over 10 years ago and it's fair to say Utah has a large number of privately owned snowcats. KSL.com is a pretty active marketplace for snowcat buying and selling, and I probably look about once a week, on average. That means I've looked roughly 500 times, and in all those searches I can't recall ever seeing a Snow Trac for sale locally. If they were in fact such a capable machine, one would expect to see them for sale on KSL.com at least occasionally, as they pop up on ebay or Craigslist with some regularity. I can only conclude that when it comes to high elevation snowcat use in the steep and/or deep, their performance is lacking. They may be fine for putt-putting along on a frozen cornfield, or on a relatively flat, packed trail, but up high and in deep snow...not so much. I think my theory is borne out by the following:

Try a Google search for "Snow Trac" and look at images. Now count the number of photos of Snow Tracs in "deep" snow. Ankle deep is not deep. I'm talking adult knee deep. Yeah...precious few.

"Tucker country"

IMG_0982.jpg

DSC01769.jpg

Your V-8 powered Volvo sounds like the ultimate sleeper :)

tango

I hope you guys don’t beat me up to bad on here. I just bought a bombi snowcat. I had to start somewhere right. Figured I could resale and upgrade if not happy. I did look at a couple IMPs but they were pretty firm on price and not being around these machines at all I didn’t want to get into deep to start with.

Attachments

• 6BCBDB08-E092-4A86-BAAE-3BC8884E2DF5.jpg
    6BCBDB08-E092-4A86-BAAE-3BC8884E2DF5.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 224
  • 605CC992-C935-4F0A-986B-1302BB289662.jpg
    605CC992-C935-4F0A-986B-1302BB289662.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 218

PJL

Good choice tango. Looks really nice and well cared for. Looking forward to reading about your adventures.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice little machine. When I first started grooming trails, our club had one of those. It was a fun little machine but we upgraded to a tucker shortly after.

Canadian eh!!!

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
We will never beat up up for buying a snowcat. Of course sometimes our elbows in your ribs might leave bruises.

You have a nice machine and careful evaluation of its performance will determine if it will do what you want or not. If it does, GREAT. If not, you will know where you need something else and can seek a machine that will do that job.

Remember this forum is a great resource of information, and pure BS, sometimes in the same sentence.

If I can give words of advice: Until you are sure of yourself and your cat, seek others to run with, when out of walking distance.

Have fun, stay safe.

CT

Ajay1118

Hi Blackfoot I’m not a season veteran with the tucker I ve only had mine a couple of months and I’m so pleased that I bought a tucker but I never even looked at any other !!! after taking it to my lake house I had to clear 7-8’ banks from a flat road just to access my road which was 5-6’ deep and it climbed over the bank with ease and it was effortlessly !!! And I was on my 4-1/2 mile journey I couldn’t believe it I couldn’t stop smiling !!! I’m planning a full restoration in the early summer !! I think they are just amazing !! I m also having a custom aluminum sled deck built to put my king cat sled on the back .

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope you guys don’t beat me up to bad on here. I just bought a bombi snowcat. I had to start somewhere right. Figured I could resale and upgrade if not happy. I did look at a couple IMPs but they were pretty firm on price and not being around these machines at all I didn’t want to get into deep to start with.

Well, I already see a problem. Where is your SNOW? :bolt::smile:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Nice little machine. When I first started grooming trails, our club had one of those. It was a fun little machine but we upgraded to a tucker shortly after.

Canadian eh!!!

Hey Northern Redneck,

When you use the name "Tucker"...it should be capitalized. Not just because that's correct grammar, but out of respect for such a superior machine!!!
:laugh3:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter

Congratulations on your purchase. Unfortunately that means your snowcat disease diagnosis has been confirmed. I'm not aware of any cases that have been fatal, but it will curtail your other activities - and put a crimp on your wallet.

Welcome to the club!!!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yup, you got the disease, welcome welcome welcome, glad you did not listen to anyone and got what you liked, all bad advice....:) it is CUTE

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
We’re all North ‘mericans, I think we can get along. Sorry for making a joke about the twoonie, I think they make a lot of sense (and cents). I don’t think rockhead was trying to start an international incident with the canucklebucks comment either.
You have an American sno-Cat, mine is Canadian. All snowcats are cool and get along just fine when they are out enjoying the snow.

You should post up some pics of that big rig too!

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
We’re all North ‘mericans, I think we can get along. Sorry for making a joke about the twoonie, I think they make a lot of sense (and cents). I don’t think rockhead was trying to start an international incident with the canucklebucks comment either.
You have an American sno-Cat, mine is Canadian. All snowcats are cool and get along just fine when they are out enjoying the snow.

You should post up some pics of that big rig too!

I've bought two Tuckers in Canada, and both sellers were top-notch folks to deal with.

I sure hope this doesn't come out wrong, but my impression is Canadians are just like Americans...only nicer.

Ajay1118

Sorry if I took it the wrong way !! It just bothered me . I did buy my Tucker in the states in Maryland and Fred was amazing to deal with and I have kept in touch with him !! Some of my best friends are in the great USA I wish Canada would just be another state !!! I’m not very good with trying to post pics once I figure it out I sure will post some pics of her !!

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Tango. I'm in about the same boat as you and ended up with a Skidozer 252 8-10 person cab a couple months ago. Not a bad machine but not my first choice. But thats the problem, I don't know what my first choice is. I have this nostalgic image from back when I was in college. I wandered the backcountry a bit growing up but in the winter it was just skiing. I thought it would be the coolest thing to have a Tucker and be able to just head out in it. Of course had no funds for that back in the day so was just a dream.

Busy life, fast forward to today. I've always had conventional Peterbilt trucks with the extended hoods (long nose) and high horsepower thats turned up, in my construction business. Cabover models are severely frowned upon, as in you wouldn't get caught dead in one haha. So from there it's easy to understand why I'm extremely envious of Blackfoot, who almost surely has the only extended nose high horsepower Tucker in existence. But life has taught me that I generally don't know squat about what I really want/need without some experience learning curve. So ........ 38 by 200, mid engine, rubber tracks, 1643, will we use it enough to justify big bucks? My feet are already wet (snowy) so the plan is just get out and enjoy the Skidozer, the rest will come to me in time. Hope you're doing the same.

The downside is of course, if those here on the forum are any indication, the rest could come in the form of 3 or 4 more cats ;)

Last edited:

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Tango. I'm in about the same boat as you and ended up with a Skidozer 252 8-10 person cab a couple months ago. Not a bad machine but not my first choice. But thats the problem, I don't know what my first choice is. I have this nostalgic image from back when I was in college. I wandered the backcountry a bit growing up but in the winter it was just skiing. I thought it would be the coolest thing to have a Tucker and be able to just head out in it. Of course had no funds for that back in the day so was just a dream.

Busy life, fast forward to today. I've always had conventional Peterbilt trucks with the extended hoods (long nose) and high horsepower thats turned up, in my construction business. Cabover models are severely frowned upon, as in you wouldn't get caught dead in one haha. So from there it's easy to understand why I'm extremely envious of Blackfoot, who almost surely has the only extended nose high horsepower Tucker in existence. But life has taught me that I generally don't know squat about what I really want/need without some experience learning curve. So ........ 38 by 200, mid engine, rubber tracks, 1643, will we use it enough to justify big bucks? My feet are already wet (snowy) so the plan is just get out and enjoy the Skidozer, the rest will come to me in time. Hope you're doing the same.

The downside is of course, if those here on the forum are any indication, the rest could come in the form of 3 or 4 more cats ;)

1BG,

Thanks for the kind words. While Thundercat is a very nice machine, the reality is I bought it NINE years ago. I have three Tuckers right now, and only one is operable (and that's only been functional for a couple of days).

I think the real role model is Travis Nottingham. That man has three Tuckers, all three work and he uses (and enjoys) all of them!

But seriously, welcome to the club. I hope you don't get the sickness too badly...

1boringguy

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the welcome Blackfoot.

As a wise old Aussie told me years ago, "whatever you're into man". My brothers father in law built/restored cars. He would take his current work in progress to the club get togethers for years, but once he had finished it he would sell it within a month or two and start his next project, which could again take many years. His fulfillment was in building it. As long as you have one running when you need it and enough time and funds to continue the projects, what the hay ....... right?

I have to admit there is some satisfaction in getting out in the shop and solving the issues with the Skidozer and some comfort knowing that by packing a few tools and parts there is a good chance that I could MacGyver my way home if I had too. But I'm also reminded of the inversely proportional relationship between time and money in my life. When I was young and had little money but few demands on my time, I could spend days working on something in the shop just to use it for a few hours before returning to the shop with it again. As I'm older and have more money but less free time, it's harder to justify spending my time in the shop vs out adventuring with family and friends. So yes, in life, like snocats, it's about trade offs, there is no best of everthing.

I seriously doubt anyone would give Tango any flack about his Bombi or me my Skidozer here except perhaps as a jab between friends, a nice thing about this space. Sometimes in the bike world there gets to be a little "holier than thou syndrome " going around between the American made and non-American made contingents until someone pipes up and reminds that 'it's all the same wind', or in this case the same snow. Being in it is the point.

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I was in a similar situation after buying an off grid property and cabin. Snowmobiles didn't seem practical except for playing on due to too much to haul too far. I looked around and bought what I thought was the best deal for the dollar that would do the job. That resulted in an old Thiokol 603 that after a little maintenance does that job. Snow has been heavy here this year and so far haven't found anything it can't do. It does some things better than others. Like the road rises 1500 feet in 4 miles of steep switch backs with drifts so tall you can't see the road and you side hill while crossing them. Is it a workout with a skid steer on that road ( do it 3 times a week and there is no need for the gym) But that old machine feels very safe and stable in anything I have done with it so far. So for me I found that if your willing to work with a basic machine a little and you are mechanically inclined so you can fix it if you have to. Get something you can afford, work with it and get on the mountain. Later you can always sell it and move up to a different machine that might work better for your usage. As I work with the old Thiokol becoming more familiar with it and it mechanics it reminds me of my old Ford Jubilee tractor. I use it in the spring to mow 7 acres and a few other things. It sits at least 10 of the 12 months. Ive had it for 11 seasons. Starts every spring and does the job and very easy to maintenance . The first time I took it out I also took the snowmobile just in case. When I got there the new computerized fuel injected Skidoo wouldn't start and the old Thiokol went up the hill and came back down. So I guess what I am trying to say is if your usage is going to Cat shows and parade around then put it back on the trailer or transportation to remote property get something and get out there. To Quote caption Ron ( If its going to happen its going to happen out there) Be prepared and be safe.

tango

I got the Bombi delivered finally and its in great shape. I need to haul this about 70 miles on highway to cabin. I have a 2 place tilt bed snowmobile trailer do you think I would be able to move it with that? thanks

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Depends on changes the ones I have weighed are as follows

Bombi old style open cab converted 2200 pounds
Bombi fiberglass front steel center cab 2400 pounds
BR100 newer style (more glass cab) 2600 pounds
BR100plus newer style cab bigger engine 2.3liter and auto tranny 3100-3300
Pounds depending on track style

18” tracks deducted a little weight

m1west

GOLD Site Supporter
I got the Bombi delivered finally and its in great shape. I need to haul this about 70 miles on highway to cabin. I have a 2 place tilt bed snowmobile trailer do you think I would be able to move it with that? thanks

and let the fun begin. Its a lot nicer when you can visit your cabin more than 6mos. a year. But its twice as much work getting there so its a good excuse to stay longer too. I'm only 4 miles off of the plowed road but in that 4 miles a lot changes. Go prepared and go slow. But most of all congratulations.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
and let the fun begin. Its a lot nicer when you can visit your cabin more than 6mos. a year.

I can remember the feeling some years ago, early April never made it to this
Cabin all winter since October got there and the roof was down inverted from the snow. They had record 7 feet of snow that winter and for that area by the Canadian border it was a lot. Now it’s much stronger and some of it has a 13/12 pitch. An it’s a tin roof so it slides