• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Satellite Reciever boxes on Ebay? Elsewhere?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I currently subscribe to DishNetwork. It costs me a monthly rental fee of $5 per month for each of the satellite boxes that sit on top each TV.

If I buy a Dish Network compatible box from one of the on-line resellers or over Ebay, will they receive the signals? I know I have to pay the regular service fee for the subscription, but I'm wondering if I can save the monthly rental fee. Do I have to have the boxes activated? How?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I have Direct TV. I own 2 boxes and they charge me the $5 a month to use the second one.

The box has a card in it and they will need to know the seriel # of the card. I;ve had to get new cards, once.

buy_25

Banned
you can have up to 8 boxes. You will pay $5 no matter what. The boxes do not mean anything. You need the cards that only they can provide.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Buy is right. The $5 monthly charge is not for the receiver, it's for the programming being sent to that receiver. I own my DirecTv equipment and I still pay the $5 per each additional receiver.

Lawrence

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob,

A little info:
1. Call Dish Network and see if you own or are leasing your boxes. If you own, you can probably sell your equipment to offset the new box listed below.
2. Call Dish Network or check their website for promotions. In particular, look for a program/promo called "Dishing it up".
3. Here is some considerations to reduce your monthly charges per received. Verify your plan with Dish Network before proceeding.
  • Purchase a 322 receiver. Define this one as the main receiver. It is a dual tuner receiver so you can connect 2 TV's. These can be purchased on e-bay for about $120 or from other providers for $199.
  • Lease (from Dish Network) a 622 receiver. This one is also a dual tuner but is also a DVR and has HDTV.
  • As long as both are connected to a phone line, you should only pay $5.00 for both boxes.

If you PM me your phone #, my neighbor sells/installs both Dish Network and DirectTV. Using your phone #, he can pull up your account and see what's available for promotions and such.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
My long time tenant out here at the ranch is moving. She has had both Dish and Direct service. She says everything is non-refundable.

She asked if she could abandon the installations but I am asking her to remove both dishes before I return her cleaning deposit.

Bob (or anyone) - Do you want me to see if she will sell and ship her satellite gear?

Photo: They laid 75 ft of coax right on the ground to get to a good southern exposure - on the old outhouse!

P1000362rOuthouse&Dish.jpg

Hutchman

Site Supporter
buy, please enlighten us on why we will see so many dishes on ebay. I just pay the DirecTV bill and don't keep up with all the new developments. Hutch