• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Terras and Thiokol for auction in Alaska

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
My question is on Fat Cat. 25K hours and 30K miles? That's impressive! What was it's initial purpose and why have a cab that large with only 4 seats??

notinfringed

They were used by oil companies on the "North Slope" oil fields. I am not sure what their primary purpose was, but I do know that much of the region is designated for low impact vehicles only. It is possible that these were used by an exploratory crew or survey crew. The high hours are pretty common on all equipment from the North Slope. The extreme cold makes it tricky to start engines and hydraulic systems without doing damage. They overcome this by leaving equipment running for long periods of time. I have seen pickup trucks with 60000 miles, but over 10000 hrs. At the same time, we can't guarantee the accuracy of the mile or hour meter on equipment. I have seen many that are simply impossible. As to the cab size, it's anybodies guess. I suspect that the crew using this machine was doing something that required a lot of weather sensitive gear. Once again, possibly a survey crew.