• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ANOTHER BASELESS SHOT AT MATT WHITAKER

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
POSTED ON NOVEMBER 18, 2018 BY PAUL MIRENGOFF IN MATTHEW WHITAKER, TRUMP ADMNINISTRATION

ANOTHER BASELESS SHOT AT MATT WHITAKER

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2018/11/another-baseless-shot-at-matt-whitaker.php

This op-ed in the Washington Post is titled (in the paper edition) “Whitaker is just one more crony.” The author, law professor Jed Shugerman, argues that it’s far from unprecedented for presidents to appoint cronies to head the Justice Department.

Shugerman is right. He cites Harry Daugherty (Harding’s AG), Howard McGrath (Truman’s), Robert Kennedy (his brother’s), and John Mitchell (Nixon’s).

The problem, though, is that Matthew Whitaker is not a crony of President Trump. A crony is a close friend, usually of long standing. Whitaker is not Trump’s friend. As far as has been reported, the two have only met a few times. The meetings were not of a social nature.

Thus, the relationship between Trump and Whitaker is nothing like the relationship between Harding and Daugherty, his campaign manager; between Bobby Kennedy and his brother; and between John Mitchell and Nixon, his former law partner.

Nor, for that matter, does it resemble the close relationship between Robert Mueller and James Comey.

Shugerman writes of “a long line of line of insiders, hacks, cronies, and fixers
[who have] occupied the office for much of the past century.” Whitaker is not an insider. His ties to Washington are nothing compared to those of, say, Eric Holder.

Indeed, as far as I can tell, Whitaker’s year in Washington working for Sessions is the only “inside” position he has ever held. The rest of his career has been spent in the Midwest, largely disconnected from Washington politics.

There’s no evidence that Whitaker is a fixer, either. What has he fixed? Shugerman cites nothing.

“Hack” is a term of insult with no fixed meaning. I take it to mean “mediocrity.”

Is Whitaker a mediocre lawyer? I don’t know. Mediocrities don’t typically become U.S. Attorneys, as Whitaker did, though certainly there are exceptions.

But again, Shugerman provides no evidence that Whitaker is other than a fine lawyer and a capable administrator. He simply assumes the Post’s editors and readers will nod in agreement with his string of insults because they hate Trump.

Shugerman may not know Whitaker, but he knows his audience.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey Shugerman, out there somewhere there is a tree working really hard to make oxygen so you can breath. I think you should go find it and apologize to it. :yum:

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
The REAL reason (IMO) the Dems want to "protect" Mulller is that he is their man.

No matter what the investigation finds on (say) Clinton, Obama, ect. They know Mueller will not use it.

They are afraid that a real INDEPENDENT investigator will .

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The REAL reason (IMO) the Dems want to "protect" Mulller is that he is their man.

No matter what the investigation finds on (say) Clinton, Obama, ect. They know Mueller will not use it.

They are afraid that a real INDEPENDENT investigator will .
It would be awesome if there was another special prosecutor appointed to investigate Hillary and more. It will never happen as there would be HUGE fallout among the dems. Not many would be left.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
It would be awesome if there was another special prosecutor appointed to investigate Hillary and more. It will never happen as there would be HUGE fallout among the dems. Not many would be left.
I can't imagine a better reason to do just that! :thumbup: :yum:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mr Whittaker is an Iowan. He has a sterling reputation here, and it was a surprise he was picked up by the Trump administration.

As has been said, he is not a Trump buddy at all..

As Road squawker says, I believe is correct, and why the Democrats fear him..

Regards, Kirk