• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Chris Wallace dismantles Michelle Bachmann on FNS...

RobsanX

Gods gift to common sense
SUPER Site Supporter
Lot's of hilarious fodder in this interview, including her constant flip-flops on whether or not President Obama is "anti-American"

What I found most interesting was her stance on health care reform. She wants the government to pay 100% of everyone's health care!

BACHMANN: Well, my bill is H.R. 4903, and I encourage people to go to michelebachmann.com to sign the petition to repeal "Obamacare." We can do it. It won't be an easy lift. It will be tough. But we have to retake majorities this fall in the House and the Senate and then two years from now have a new president. And come February of 2013, we can repeal "Obamacare."
How would we take care of the 30,000 people that don't have insurance?
WALLACE: Thirty million.
BACHMANN: The easy — I'm sorry, thank you, 30 million people that don't have health insurance — the first thing that we should do is address the cost issue to make it more accessible for more people.
Number one, we would allow people to buy insurance anywhere they want in the United States. Number two, let them buy it with their own tax-free money. Number three, fully deduct all of their health care expenses, whether it's premiums, co-pays, high deductibles, whether it is vision, dental, chiropractor, whatever it is — fully deduct that on your income tax return. And have tort reform. If you do — which is lawsuit abuse reform.
Can someone explain how this is different than a single payer system.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,590745,00.html

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
She wants the government to pay 100% of everyone's health care!

Clearly you don't understand the tax code.

A deduction is not having the government pay your health care. Its not even close. Its simply setting aside that deduction (be it for a home or as is proposed here for health insurance) so that you are not paying tax on that money used for that deduction.

So say I make $100,000 per year. Say I spend $10,000 per year on health care expenses related to my daughter's type 1 diabetes. She is proposing that I would get a $10,000 deduction and that my taxable income would be $90,000. She does not propose that the government would pay any part of the $10,000 in costs I incur. She simply is saying that I should not pay taxes on that amount.

RobsanX

SUPER Site Supporter
Clearly you don't understand the tax code.

A deduction is not having the government pay your health care. Its not even close. Its simply setting aside that deduction (be it for a home or as is proposed here for health insurance) so that you are not paying tax on that money used for that deduction.

So say I make $100,000 per year. Say I spend $10,000 per year on health care expenses related to my daughter's type 1 diabetes. She is proposing that I would get a $10,000 deduction and that my taxable income would be $90,000. She does not propose that the government would pay any part of the $10,000 in costs I incur. She simply is saying that I should not pay taxes on that amount.

Ahhh, I see. So I won't be taxed on the money I spend on health care. How generous... :unsure:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I don't understand why we don't pay taxes on our mortgage interest.

There are lots of things that provide deductions.

Here in Indiana we don't pay sales tax on food or prescriptions, that is the same sort of logic as Michelle Bachmann's plan. The difference is that sales tax in most states is 5-to-9% of the price of the good, but Bachmann's plan would effectively discount the cost of health insurance by 15% to 33% depending on your tax bracket, and based on our current tax code, those folks who make up the 47% of the people who pay no taxes would actually get money from the federal government via a tax refund.

I'd say that is, in fact, generous. They are letting you keep your money. Any other system requires them to take someone else's money and spread it around. That is not generous either, that is theft. Realize they don't have any money they don't initially take from you and me.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lot's of hilarious fodder in this interview, including her constant flip-flops on whether or not President Obama is "anti-American"

What I found most interesting was her stance on health care reform. She wants the government to pay 100% of everyone's health care!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,590745,00.html
SECTION 1. REPEAL OF PPACA.

Effective as of the enactment of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, such Act is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

That is the text of HR 4903. That's it. Not 3000 pages that we must pass so that we can read it and know what is in it. Nothing in this bill that states that Bachmann wants the government to pay 100% of your health care. In the cited interview, she states that she wants tort reform, tax breaks for insurance premiums. Deductible health care, whether out of pocket or through insurance. I find nothing in your quote indicating that Bachmann wants the government to pay 100% of anything. In fact, the petition cited is to repeal this unworkable bill.

RobsanX

SUPER Site Supporter
SECTION 1. REPEAL OF PPACA.

Effective as of the enactment of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, such Act is repealed, and the provisions of law amended or repealed by such Act are restored or revived as if such Act had not been enacted.

That is the text of HR 4903. That's it. Not 3000 pages that we must pass so that we can read it and know what is in it. Nothing in this bill that states that Bachmann wants the government to pay 100% of your health care. In the cited interview, she states that she wants tort reform, tax breaks for insurance premiums. Deductible health care, whether out of pocket or through insurance. I find nothing in your quote indicating that Bachmann wants the government to pay 100% of anything. In fact, the petition cited is to repeal this unworkable bill.

Obviously Michelle Bachmann is not for government supported health care, which is why I asked for an explanation. MD summed it up quite well, thank you.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Obviously Michelle Bachmann is not for government supported health care, which is why I asked for an explanation. MD summed it up quite well, thank you.
Rob, you stated that Bachmann wants the government to pay 100% of everyone's health care, and based that argument on a quoted passage. Now you are stating that Bachmann is not for government supported health care, and basing that on an explanation from MD.