• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking at a radio...

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a friend that I just found out has been a ham for 13 years, but has not been active for 2-3 years since his beam antenna came down in a big storm, and he didn't feel like replacing it. Anyway, he invited me to stop by this afternoon and look at the radio he is selling. It's an Omni-D by Ten-Tec with a digital readout, and was factory reconditioned just before the beams blew down. It comes with a key and an Astatic D-104 lollipop microphone, just like I had on my CB base station back in the 70's. He's asking $300 on the market ,but will sell to me for $200. I can't find a bad review on this unit, so I think I'll get it right after I get a couple of antennas built and installed. Wudda ya think? Good enough deal or should I abuse him a little bit on the price?:doh:

Ten_Tec_Omni_D.sized.jpg
maker-astatic-model_%7EMICR12S.jpg
maker-astatic-model_~MICR12S.jpg

maker-astatic-model_%7EMICR12S.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
it's hf rig and as a tech you are limited to 10 meters if you don't want it i do perfect for what i want.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
it's hf rig and as a tech you are limited to 10 meters if you don't want it i do perfect for what i want.
Your concern for my well being is touching...kind of like an unsolicited TSA massage.:hammer::hammer::hammer::yum::yum::yum: Get out your sunglasses so you're not blinded by the stars on my shoulder boards from my General Class license. I'll be cruising from 12 meters on up before you know it. I might even get in a little practice with a key if I get some time between reloading, baking goodies and working. I had more free time when I had a full time job.:yum:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
congradulations i want an older radio like that my self i havnt the time to bone up for a general up grade now but it's a comming i don't know wich will come first the radio or license.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
For me it's going to be the radio before he sells it to someone else. If I have time today I'll call Amateur Electronic Supply to see if they have the General Class study guide. The next test date isn't until February in my area.

While I was out yesterday I picked up a SO239, PL-259 and a BNC connector to build a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna similar to this one...

KC0YNRpic8.jpg

snow dog

Don is correct, Techs can only use a small section of the 10 meter band. I suspect Jev is looking forward to upgrading to general license or greater and the higher license the more bands are available. For me once I was in the learning phase I continued to advanced. the hardest part was code.