• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I freaking passed!!!

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
On Tuesday I picked up this...

P1020966.jpg

...and today I sat for the Technician Element 2 test and passed it!!:clap::clap: I'll get my call sign sometime in the next 10-14 days. The volunteer examiner asked if I wanted to take the General Element 3 test at no extra charge, so I said sure, why not. Even a blind squirrel finds a few acorns, and while i did not pass the General Exam, I did manage to get 18 out of 35 correct. They offer testing the first Saturday of the even numbered months, so I might go back in February and see if I can pass that one. Now I just need to figure out how to operate my $55 2-meter radio...

HamRadio.jpg

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Jev , :clap: Curious did ya have to readup & study quite a bit ? what kind of questions ? Enquiring minda want to know . :biggrin:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations. You're now at the head of the class. I still intend taking mine in January sometime. As Cowboy said, tell us how hard it was. Inquiring minds .......

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats Jev , :clap: Curious did ya have to readup & study quite a bit ? what kind of questions ? Enquiring minda want to know . :biggrin:
Here's what I did. I bought this book which has EVERY test question with an answer and an explanation. I went through with a highlighter and highlighted each question and answer to start the mental imprinting process. When I got to the end I went to http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl and started taking a few of the sample tests. I failed a few, but passed more than I failed. I them sat down and read every question again, focusing on associating the correct answer with the question. After completing this exercise I went back to http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl and took a handful of the tests, this time not failing any of them, but clearly coming close on a few of them. So, starting yesterday I re-read the questions, answers and focused on the areas that I was having a few repeat problems with, finishing the reading this morning and then taking the sample tests again. The third time was the charm, passing 8 sample tests with the lowest grade being in the high 80th percentile, and most of them in the mid 90th percentile. At this point I felt that the questions and answers were imprinted sufficiently, and went to take the test. I finished first out of the four who sat for the test, and the smart-assed volunteer examiner asked "Are you one of those speed testers?" I responded with "Why sit there any longer than you have to when you know the material?"

This book really made it easy to understand the material, and I already was familiar with a lot of the vernacular from being in the CB craze and building antennas for my radios, and having an Electrical Contractor's license since the mid 80's. It was worth the money because you can study to pass the test instead of studying to learn the material. There's a big difference between the two. I can always go back and learn the details of the subject areas as needed without the pressure worrying about passing a test.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations. You're now at the head of the class. I still intend taking mine in January sometime. As Cowboy said, tell us how hard it was. Inquiring minds .......
It's not hard, Frank. It just takes some discipline to go through the process I described above. As I said, you are studying to pass a test, not studying to learn the material. Essentially, I did it all in 3-1/2 days from Tuesday evening to Saturday at noon when I took the test. I talked to a fella at the electronics store that told me there is group of guys who can take you from soup to nuts and have yo passing the test at the end of the same day. Now that's CRAMMING!:w00t2::yum::yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Great explanation Jev thanks for taking the time , Sure makes sense . :wink:

I,m kind of the same way with the cb,s from years back but have forgotten most of the little I did know . this sounds like it would be an interesting hobby , I,ll stay tuned :biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
congrats whre are you located look up your local irlp nodes and dial up 9070 the alaska reflector i will be listening always best to listen in a little bit that's what i did 9070 pretty buisy you will pick up real quick

fubar

CONGRATS JEV!!!

I Hope that dds (Don) and Doc having opened this thread was a contributing factor.

now on to step four (ya dun done step three)

I'm composing step four it in my mind to try to be economical with words but share as much as possible, dealing with Repeaters, reflectors, talking with the Space Shuttle, NETS, moon bounce, Winlink, etc

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
It appears that you may have cheated by only learnin the answers . I have gone ahead and informed the Obama team to check you out. Just need to be sure that you are the real deal !

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats to JEV and to Don for getting this ham radio forum going. I do think you helped inspire JEV to get his license. I was a radioman in the Navy 30+ years ago an I suspect I could pass that test if I worked at it like JEV did. You guys keep up the good work and I might just join you on the air one of these days. :thumb: :tiphat: :clap: :clap: :D

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
It appears that you may have cheated by only learnin the answers . I have gone ahead and informed the Obama team to check you out. Just need to be sure that you are the real deal !
Yes, I have benefited unfairly by applying time and effort toward the accomplishment of a goal.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
congrats whre are you located look up your local irlp nodes and dial up 9070 the alaska reflector i will be listening always best to listen in a little bit that's what i did 9070 pretty buisy you will pick up real quick
I can't do shit until my license propogates the system and shows up on the website. They say 10-14 days is about average, unsless hte FCC finds out I'm a conservative.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Fubar, don't get in too much of a rush for Step 4. Remember some of us are lagging behind here. :biggrin:

I sent off for different study material from JEV. I sent for the ARRL manual but I assume it's basically the same stuff and I intend to use it in basically the same way.

That reminds me, I forgot to email that ham club 30 miles away to find out when their testing days are. I'll go do it now.

fubar

ETF LOL
You are correct, I won't get too far ahead. Actually I have probably given the impression that I am more advanced than I am. I only intend to give "Step Four" as direction as to where to go to find the correct answers. (see the thread, Packet Radio)
As people ask questions, beyond how and where to test, I'll try to explain what something is so they can maybe determine if they are really interested in going in that direction, then I'll try to find where they can get the REAL information.

Don (dds) and Doc have done the real trick, by providing this thread as a vehicle to maybe stir old interest that may have died over time. I am hopefully extending that by showing where I found answers.

And a footnote regarding who I am,
I keep my radios attached to 12 volt batteries that winter in my garage, and the batteries are on a constant trickle charge, 50ma or less, waiting for the day,... when I can help.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Scotty, I must say that this thread DID spark the fire to get off my duff and do something about fulfilling this "bucket list" item. It's something I've wanted to do, but never did for any number of reasons. I'm glad I did it, and look forward to having some fun...just as soon as I can figure how to turn this damn radio on and learn where to point it...:yum:

FWIW, I have programed the local repeaters into this radio, but with the stock antenna there is very little reception. Monday I'm going to Amateur Electronic Supply to see about purchasing a better antenna. I think a 5/8 wave slim duck for 2 meters will do the trick. They run about $21 retail, and give a 3-7db gain. That should really help. Then I'll get started on designing and building an antenna for the house. I used to build them for CB, so I have an idea what's in store. Then I need to find a used SWR meter to trim it in, and buy a ..., and buy a ..., and buy a ..., and buy, and buy, and buy....:doh::yum::yum:

2mtr58sd.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
goggle up sleaved diapole and take a look at how easy it would be to build your own antennaa i'm working on my own now and as soon as i get the time to finnish it it up i will post it but you can build a good preformer out of tinfoil and pcv pipe a good project for a new ham