• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Howdy Harvey

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, here in Texas we are getting an unwanted visitor named Harvey. So far it is just a strong wind gusts and a needed rainfall. The eye of the storm is about 49 miles south of my location. My only loss so far is my pepper plants which are lying down this morning. Gonna stay dry and wait for the end in a couple of days. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My niece just moved to Houston, looks like she is getting wind and rain but the storm is SW and the big bulk of it will miss her location.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
Houston is about 75 miles East of where I am. I think all she needs to worry about is flooding. Houston has poor drainage. Too much concrete. If she stays home there shouldnt be much to worry about. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck staying dry Ross. 4 or 5 days of that kind of rain sounds like a nightmare.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Howdy,
Houston is about 75 miles East of where I am. I think all she needs to worry about is flooding. Houston has poor drainage. Too much concrete. If she stays home there shouldnt be much to worry about. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup that I what I figure too.

She lives in an apartment downtown. But my brother has friends in west Houston, a rather fancy area. My niece went to the friend's house to ride out the storm in case there were power outages, etc. Figured getting stuck in an apartment building without power would be miserable but getting stuck in a nice home with food and a generator would be a better way to ride out Harvey.

Hopefully the area you are in fares well and doesn't get blown off the map. Looks like the brunt of the storm in just north of Corpus Christi, which I presume is southeast of where you are located. It looks to be tracking a little bit northwest, probably toward you, but the weather station (if they are to be believed) says the storm will probably hang around the coast. Looks like it will stick around for 3-4 days and just keep dumping rain on the area.

I don't guess its possible to stay dry :TEXAS:

Wee Willy

I'm in San Antonio and we have strong winds and some rain. Looks like it'll stay wet all day but tomorrow is when all hell break loose.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm in San Antonio and we have strong winds and some rain. Looks like it'll stay wet all day but tomorrow is when all hell break loose.

Looks like it is moving inland and northwest, with a later movement north? But no real way to tell where it will be other than best guess projections.

Most current NWS projection:

Attachments

• 092407_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
    092407_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 148

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Until a couple months ago, I was working at a large Houston hospital system for a few years.

I guess I'm still on their contacts/alert distributions as I just got a call requesting I report to the hospital if possible as they need all the staff that can make it. I no longer work there and live 1300 miles away so I won't be reporting for duty.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, so far I have emptied my rain gauge twice with 5 inches each time. Today we have light rain and wind. Seems to be worse east and north of here. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, so far I have emptied my rain gauge twice with 5 inches each time. Today we have light rain and wind. Seems to be worse east and north of here. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After it gets finished "playing" with you guys, it's supposed to turn north and be over us on Thursday. I'm hoping that it is pretty much a spent force by that time and is moving quickly as I start an RV trip on Saturday.

Stay safe my friend. When I worked out in the Gulf an ol' coonass who had gone through his fair share of hurricanes once told me, "You can hide from the wind but you run from the water".

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm looking at the radar for this storm. From what I see, that storm appears to be the size of Arkansas (so I'm using that as a reference size).

That's about 53,000 square miles. That's almost 1 trillion gallons of water for every inch of rain that falls in that size area. For every 1" that falls, that's enough water for every person in the USA's needs for almost 3 months.

News and weather channels are saying totals may reach 24-40". That's a hell of a lot of water.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If anyone is watching a fake news channel, let us know if any climate activists come on and say something so stupid like "When all this water drains into the Gulf of Mexico, the water level will rise and sink the State of Florida".

I'll bet there's some out there that are thinking that... I guess they wouldn't think of the fact that all the water came from the Gulf so it's just returning it...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My niece is saying that the area where she lives (near downtown Houston) is having some flooding problems but she is off to the west in the suburbs with family friends so she is fine.

Schools are apparently closed for the whole of next week in Houston.

Looks like the storm is now tracking a bit farther northeast than straight north. Looks like it may go over the top of Houston, albeit as a tropical storm with winds under 40mph. But it looks to be nearly stuck there for several days.

Stay safe down there.

Attachments

• 092407_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind-1.png
    092407_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind-1.png
    83 KB · Views: 131

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Melsdad, that latest projection would put it right over my house late Friday into Saturday. That's just the time that I'm supposed to be leaving on my RV trip. I hope that it has blown itself out by that time or I may have to rethink things.

P.S. Glad that everyone is safe.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Pictures from Houston

Attachments

• IMG_6892.JPG
    IMG_6892.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6893.JPG
    IMG_6893.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6894.JPG
    IMG_6894.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 111

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm guessing when the weather clears up and the floods drain it will end up being far worse than New Orleans.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I know those first 2 roads pretty well.
The first (Sam Houston pkwy) is one of the main roads to get to Bush international airport.

I stay at hotels on or near Braeswood.

Where Braeswood meets Main Street just north of there, Main Street gets really low. I'd guess it's under 20' of water right now.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
After seeing those pictures and watching the reports on TV, me worrying about my RV trip seems a little petty. People are really suffering down there and all that I'm worrying about is getting out of here on time. I apologize for being so thoughtless and unfeeling.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, it rained and blew all night. I have another 4 inches in the rain gauge. My gauge has run over twice which means more than 10 inches. Hope everyone affected is safe. Well, stay dry and have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, it rained and blew all night. I have another 4 inches in the rain gauge. My gauge has run over twice which means more than 10 inches. Hope everyone affected is safe. Well, stay dry and have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waiting to hear more from my niece. Last I heard was that she was safe and sound with power and not flooded at a family friend's house. But that was yesterday. Hoping to hear something soon.

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, I actually got a glimpse of blue sky this morning. Believe it or not it isnt raining this morning. Maybe it is done for a while and we can dry out a little. Hope all is well with you folks. Well, lets have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, I actually got a glimpse of blue sky this morning. Believe it or not it isnt raining this morning. Maybe it is done for a while and we can dry out a little. Hope all is well with you folks. Well, lets have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad that you made it bro'. It's the same here. Woke up to blue skies this morning. That's the first time in a week. We never got any rain out of Harvey up in north East Texas apart from a shower or two but it's been dull, cloudy and overcast every day ... and it's been cool for August. We may not get anything at all as they project that it is going to move further east, pick up speed and probably miss us all together.

I hope things start getting better down there.

ravcosales

It's strange that there's a debate over whether people should have evacuated taking place right now when there's so much work to be done in saving people...

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
It's strange that there's a debate over whether people should have evacuated taking place right now when there's so much work to be done in saving people...

Think of the average person you know. Half of everybody else is stoopider than that.

BTW - I hate Monday Morning QBs

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, blue skies this morning!! Plenty of water in the woods. The Colorado river is out of its banks and came within sight of my house yesterday. Looks like the worst is over for now. Only problem is clouds of mosquitoes. Hope everyone has a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glad to hear you're OK.
I was thinking about the mosquito issue this morning. There's going to be a ton of extra mosquitoes in the months (years?) ahead.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
... Looks like the worst is over for now. Only problem is clouds of mosquitoes. Hope everyone has a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT NEWS :clap:

Hope you have a good supply of Deep Woods Off! on hand for the mosquitoes :biggrin:

Found out my niece in Houston is still staying at the family friend's home and rode out all the problems there without incident. Her apartment building downtown fared well, didn't flood, and all is good. At this point she doesn't think she can get to her apartment building because of flooding between where she is and where she lives ... but its good to know that all is 'good' with her and she survived her first Houston storm.

We are trying to find out about the school where she is a teacher. Not sure if that flooded, not sure if its fine, not sure when it will re-open, not sure if her students even have homes to go back to!!!

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, the water is receding and it is cool this morning. Many deer crossing the yard looking for drier ground. It is just time to clean up the mess and keep on keeping on!!!! Hope everyone is dry and safe. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Howdy,
well, the water is receding and it is cool this morning. Many deer crossing the yard looking for drier ground. It is just time to clean up the mess and keep on keeping on!!!! Hope everyone is dry and safe. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you get any damage to your property?

What about the area around you/town nearby, if I recall you are about 75 miles away from Houston, what are the general conditions in your area?

I still can't get any information from Houston about my niece's school and the conditions there ... guess I'm just curious if she has a job to go to, and even if she does will her students have homes?

Ross 650

Site Supporter
Howdy,
the roads are all opened again and it seems like the worst is over. No water damage to our property. Stores are opening again. The wild life seem to be migrating to dry ground. Might have lost some Barbados sheep. All is getting better here. Houston seems to be the worst area. Have a goodun!!!!!!!!!!!!!