• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Obama Kicks Ass on Illegals!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Excellent! :smile:

After early pledges by President Obama that he would moderate the Bush administration’s tough policy on immigration enforcement, his administration is pursuing an aggressive strategy for an illegal-immigration crackdown that relies significantly on programs started by his predecessor.
A recent blitz of measures has antagonized immigrant groups and many of Mr. Obama’s Hispanic supporters, who have opened a national campaign against them, including small street protests in New York and Los Angeles last week.
The administration recently undertook audits of employee paperwork at hundreds of businesses, expanded a program to verify worker immigration status that has been widely criticized as flawed, bolstered a program of cooperation between federal and local law enforcement agencies, and rejected proposals for legally binding rules governing conditions in immigration detention centers.

CONTINUED: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32279561/ns/politics-the_new_york_times/

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Here's some of the 'continued':

Ms. Napolitano... wants to put the enforcement focus on illegal-immigrant gang members and convicts and on employers who routinely hire illegal immigrants so as to exploit them.
Right on! A lot of the legal immigrant community agrees with this, and I think it is the right emphasis.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree and would go as far as to punish any employer who employs illegal immigrants. It's not hard to check for a green card or whatever these days. Hold the employer responsible for their actions and we will see results.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree! Alas I am split with the punishment the company should get.
I THINK the people/person responsible should get automatic jail time and have a class 3 felony on his record. Plus community service because it really DOES hurt the community. PLUS fines per illegal.

OK... maybe Im not split. Whatchu guys think?

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
OK, employers already pay fines - big ones.
too often it's still cheaper to pay the fines than to pay full scale and taxes on legal employees.
who do you send to jail: the foreman who hires, the payroll clerk who hands out the cash, the supervisor who tells the foreman to go find 10 extra bodies today, the VP who set quotas and budgets that pretty much require under the table employees, the president/ceo who knows it's all happening but maintains plausible deniability, or all of the above?

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
You fine anyone who got promoted above the grunt level to make extra bucks for taking on responsibility. (and of course is in the line of authority that can't deny responsibility for what has occurred.) Clear to the top.(*) That's what responsibility means!

We got into this question, how hard you should hit an entire company when only a few employees have gone bad, when I was a (small) part of a task force analyzing bid patterns for collusion on public works contracts. Collusion models that had led to convictions in other states were tested against our data, which was some $7 billion in awarded contracts but a much larger value to analyze when you include looking at the data from all the other bidders who weren't the low bidder. And all the subcontractor sub-bids for all those bidders.

Where this analysis led, was to finding collusive bidding by some of 'our' known subcontractors, not on our projects, but rather when these same subcontractors bid against one another on small town local-agency projects where the contract-award officers didn't really know how much their job should cost.

As I recall some $5 million in fines and restitution was collected by local agencies based on the work led by this USDOJ task force. I think a couple of company executives got fined and may have even gotten sentenced like the perpetrators of much larger scams in the east. (This whole investigative cycle started with investigating Spiro Agnew's kickbacks from paving contractors, then it took a dozen years to work across all the states to the West looking for similar patterns.)

At one point I asked the Jr US Attorney if they ever fined a company clear out of existence. He couldn't recall an instance where they had. It seemed to me even if a company was fined so hard that it wiped out all the owners equity, tomorrow somebody else could take over the leases on their trucks and field offices, rehire the same employees, and essentially continue the same firm under new, clean ownership. He said he never thought of that, and hoped he never found a company that was so thoroughly corrupt that this would be needed.

(*) One of the newer CPA standards now requires top management to annually confirm that they have reporting systems in place that would certainly alert them to illegal activity by subordinates. So there's no deniability.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
You fine anyone who got promoted above the grunt level to make extra bucks for taking on responsibility. (and of course is in the line of authority that can't deny responsibility for what has occurred.) Clear to the top.(*) That's what responsibility means!

snip

(*) One of the newer CPA standards now requires top management to annually confirm that they have reporting systems in place that would certainly alert them to illegal activity by subordinates. So there's no deniability.

that's good info - thanks!

It will be VERY interesting to see how far this all goes once the meat packing industry figures out how serious he is -- or once he figures out how much $$ the meat lobby has.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Our government seems to like taxes.

Whomever is involved gets taxed at 50% for the next 3 years.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
if the folks in question make enough, they're already in the 50% tax bracket, so where's the incentive to change?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I thought a previous post said to hit everyone, right up the chain.

duflochy

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I dont know about the rest of the country but in Houston the feds are taking it seirously, they are raiding businesses daily.......