• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

L-ion batteries ?

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone here have any long term experience with them as far as to their reliability ? I'm getting tired of the cost of replacing /servicing ni-cads ,and was wondering if L-Ions would be a better choice .

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Anyone here have any long term experience with them as far as to their reliability ? I'm getting tired of the cost of replacing /servicing ni-cads ,and was wondering if L-Ions would be a better choice .

I believe they are. I am presently using 5 Milwaukee lithiums on three cordless tools. 2 are Hi-Caps and 3 are regulars. I really only need the hi-caps for the cordless sawzall. The drill and impact driver works great on the regulars.

I like the Lithium-Ions as they have no memory feature and I can plug them into the charger at the end of the day regardless of their discharge amount.

I have used both types over the years and have found Lithium-Ion to be superior. I would never go back to Ni-Cad. Ever.

I would also recommend a Hi-Cap in that cordless chainsaw you have.:biggrin:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I replace my ni-cad Ryobi cordless tools with Rigid tools sporting lithium ion batteries. I did not hesitate making the switch when I learned that the tools AND the batteries are warranted by Rigid for the life of the original owner. I also got a free full size additional battery because they had a promotion at the time of purchase. The batteries retail for $100 each. These batteries also regain full charge in under 30 minutes, and stay stong right to the end. Oh, I also use these tools at least 5 days a week, and have had them since October of last year.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, you bring up a few good points I forgot to mention about the 30 recharge rate (1 hour for my Hi-Caps) and the voltage remaining constant across the discharge spectrum. Once Ni-Cads get below 50% things start running noticably slower. Not so with Liths. Good points.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice folks !
Oh, and TR all 5 of my saws ARE cordless already :yum:

k-dog

I just bought a Ryobi 18 volt lithium ion set and compared to my old man's DeWalt 18 volt nicad setup, the DeWalt is far superior in power and run time. I wish I would have spent the extra money and went for 18 volt lithium DeWalt set. Just my experience with lithium batteries, of course it may be brand too.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a craftsman 20 v drill w/ LI batts about 8 yrs old. One of the two original batts finally gave it up last week. About a hundred bucks for the replacement, but I figure $12 a yr is cheap enough.
Mike

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh hell. I have to chime in.

I have one of those big-ole Ni-cad DeWalt kits with all the cordless tools. My drill (most used) now smells like one of the old table top race cars I used to run as a kid so I'm guessing the bushings or something is toast. The batteries... probably 4-5 years old of heavy homeowner use and still kick-ass.

I bought a L-ion DeWalt drill to replace the race-car smelling drill (although I still run that drill, sometimes, just for the smell... for old-times sake) and... it works flawlessly.

Put me in the category of "They all work, I don't give a damn". Well, that was the truth until I saw JEV say about the lifetime warranty on the Ridgid. Then, my interest was piqued, all the way until I remembered that I have a pipe wrench sitting on my floor, 3' away from me that I've tried to get replaced under warranty and they won't give me the time of day. And that's on a tool with a total of 3 parts.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll likely go Bosch ,or Milwaukee as I'm only really needing a drill . Most likely Milwaukee.
I've done the cordless combo thing ,and have gone back to all corded tools because of power and reliability. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences with these tools .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cordless are great for ladder work or quick use. Otherwise I get out the cord or generator and run my Milwaukee and Makita stuff. I do have a Makita cordless drill that is over 25 years old and still works great. Have a belt holster and that thing has drilled and screwed a lot of things over the years. It is smaller and real light when you are stretched out doing spouting etc.