• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

NEW TIRES FOR AKTIV SNOW TRAC & SNOW MASTER

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
SMALL BOGGIE 400 X 4 6PLY TIRES

I have found two companies that have 400 x 4 6 ply tires for the Snow Trac , Snow Master and Trac Master Snowcats. One company even manufatures them. They are the least expensive at $40 for the tire and $13.50 for the tubes. There web site is www.Desser.com Link to actual page tire is on. http://www.desser.com/aerotires.html Its called the Areo Classic 400 x 4. 1 (800)247-8473

The other company is a bit more expensive at $73 for the tire and $18 for the tube. There web site is http://www.eglider.org/index.php?page=1&act=viewCat&catId=25 1 (814)355-2483

Since I have seen neither tire I cannot tell you which is better or even if there is a diffrence. BUT these are the correct size.

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
OK My friend and forums member DMIESNER just called me with the info on the tires he found and has been using on his Snow Master for years. They are Goodyear 4.5x16 NHS 6 ply tires. He bought them from Sam Okner at Okner Supply Co. Out of Colorado. I will see if I can locate a phone number and web site info. These are about a 1/2" wider than the Trellborg tires but fit really nice and snug and are a very heavy duty tire!

AKdadio

I wonder if the top (track tension) tire is as critical as the lower bogies. And speaking of that, how do you remove that tire? Do you have to relieve the tension on the track or is there a simpler trick?

Anyone know how to get ahold of Warren . . . . . .

Lyndon's remark from THREAD 7106:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original tire manufacturer, Trelleborg, discontinued the Large tire, but was still producing the small tire. Christer has them, in Sweden, and Warren has them in Mazama, Wa. A previous dealer, Jerry Mentzel formerly of North Pole Alaska ordered a bunch of them and the container they were in fell off the ship somewhere along the Washington/B.C./Alaska caost. He got a replacement order which Warren got when he bought Jerry out.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Alpine guide Makes a 4.50X16.00 6 ply thats what all the Bombardier J-5, Muskeg use we have them in stock new and smooth used.

socal4t12

what will having the tires filled do? would you want to fill all of them or just the fronts? what about running the solid "skid steer" style tires? anyone have a line of rims for the 601 or trackmasters?

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
I just ordered stock sized tires from Trelleborg in Ohio.
Cost was $21.80 each... 400x100 6-ply

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
As soon as I get them I'll post pic's. They were shipped on Monday via 2nd day but that usually means at least a week here. NOTHING EVER gets shipped here in two days.
Link is http://www.semcice.cz/pdf/trelleborg.pdf for the catalog. I emailed the rep in the US, thor@trellco.com, and he sent me the pricing and availability info. I ordered some tubes as well at $5.80 each. Tires were 4.00-4's by the way not 400 - 100. The 4.00 -4's are equal to a 300-100 metric.
The model that looks familiar (522) is not quickly available so I purchased the model 991. Thor indicated the 522's can be ordered, about 6 to 8 weeks out FOB Ohio. That translates to about three months for me. I couldn't wait that long.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I would get the very minimum needed to get you up and running then order the 522s and get them on asap. the 522s work the absolute best! If your not going foam filled then get all brand new inner tubes and then purchase 2 spare rims and new tires and tubes. Keep those (at least one) in your vehicle. Mount them to your roof rack when you build one. The larger boggie wheels I would have foam filled. If you have the small front wheel snow trac then have both front two small boggies on each side (4 total) foam filled.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How did the Trelleborg tires work out?

anyone have a source for new boggie wheels?
Do some searches here in the Forums for the boggie wheels. I know that heavy duty hand truck wheels work, and even took measurements and showed photos in one of the threads. But it seems to me that someone found boggies available somewhere!

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
So far, the tires I purchased have worked out fine. At least they are the correct size. Unfortunately I received 4 ply instead of the 6 ply I wanted. Evidently the ordering person was not paying attention. I could probably cause a stink but I can't afford to ship the 4 plys back. I ended up being $75 per box or thereabouts.
Guess thats the price you pay to live in paradise.
I should have it up and running this weekend. I'll keep FF posted on the performance.
BTW, I have a few spares left over...

rackaholic

I was wondering if foam filled is the way to go Im putting new tires on a bombardier snowcoach and just wanted to know if anyone has had problems with the foam filled ones.I spoke to someone who said the tryed this in Yellowstone park and ended up wrecking the rims on these machines but this was years ago .Have they changed the foam over the years?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was wondering if foam filled is the way to go Im putting new tires on a bombardier snowcoach and just wanted to know if anyone has had problems with the foam filled ones.I spoke to someone who said the tryed this in Yellowstone park and ended up wrecking the rims on these machines but this was years ago .Have they changed the foam over the years?

We have polyurethane foam filled the snow coach wheels/tires on several
machines and been very happy if you ever want to get the tire of the rim again use a tube and fill it. and if whoever is filling the tires choose the soft
tire fill there are several density's :thumb:

If you fill with the soft fill you will not notice a ride difference if you fill with the hard you will the soft is the same as air. you will add weight with either
about 30 pounds on the 4.50X16 per tire

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter

Thats funny you should mention that. NOT ALL FOAM IS EQUAL! We sent ours out to some mom and pop shop in Nevada because they were so much cheaper. (phone company rig) They came back and yup they are foam filled. So we put them on and our very first 100 feet of the trip a grouser broke. So I hop out to remove it and put on a new one and notice the rims all have dimples or bent where the track guides have hit the rims because the foam filled tires were all flat looking! If you have your tires foam filled go to a SNOWCAT DEALER or SNOWCAT PART PLACE and have them do it. BOGGIE I know for a fact knows what he is doing. He even has special tires built for snowcats. FALLINE in Reno also foam fills tires as well. Foam filled tires have one draw back. They are rough riding on hard pack (at least the HARD FOAM fill is). BUT there are three diffrent types of fill. Soft Medium and hard. BOGGIE would know more about that then me. MINE on my Snow Master are hard filled. Rough ride on hard pack but in any depth of snow you cant tell the diffrence.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
BOGGIE what do you recommend for a 1202 10 passenger Spyte fully loaded? Soft medium or hard fill?

That would really depend on the tires , The 1200 C we redid we used 14 ply tires and soft fill. basically almost a run flat tire without the fill. If your tire profile like a small tire does not have much height between the outer surface and the rim do not go the real soft medium would be better. but if you are going with the 6 or 10 ply tires full loaded most likely would go with the harder.:thumb:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We took a machine in one time that The customer said they had filled the tires as it turned out they did with window sealing expanding foam :smileywac the tires looked a little out of round and bulged in places:pat:

rackaholic

I am thinking of filling the rear tires on each side to keep the tracks from coming off if a flat were to happen. Will this work? What would you suggest hard or soft being we travel many miles over the ice?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I am thinking of filling the rear tires on each side to keep the tracks from coming off if a flat were to happen. Will this work? What would you suggest hard or soft being we travel many miles over the ice?

on what machine ? it will help from throwing a track. :thumb:

rrossell7

I just made the trip to Kent WA to pick up some solid hand truck tires at Marathon. They are slightly smaller on the o. d. but I think they will work ok. They were $21.99 ea. with a 10% discount for more than 12.