• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Pics of your boat

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you have a boat, lets see pics of it.

I have a 25ft Baja, heres a few pics: (yeah, we're being towed in the last pic)

Attachments

• GS5ry.jpg
    GS5ry.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 524
  • GSbeingTowedry.jpg
    GSbeingTowedry.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 529
  • GS2ry.jpg
    GS2ry.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 526

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Boats, I got boats. First one is my Wellcraft 210XL, 260HP, 55Mph. Next two are of Jan and I in our kayaks. Don't have a photo of my 165 Precision windbagger, it's in storage anyway, and I don't want to take the canvass off right now.:coolshade :beer: Couldn't upload the Wellcraft, says I've already posted this photo in the "double speed thread":(

Edit by doc: I fixed that option so that now you could add it, but I went ahead and did it for you.

Attachments

• Pic428 (Small).JPG
    Pic428 (Small).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 522
  • Pic433 (Small).JPG
    Pic433 (Small).JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 512
  • JohnDaysboat.jpg
    JohnDaysboat.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 498
Last edited by a moderator:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc to the rescue! Thanks. No, I've none underway yet, hopefully next season:tiphat: :beer:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's Plain Vanilla - 1988 46'Cougar. Three supercharged 572's. 18,000 pounds. Hope to get some "air" pix next summer. Had air plenty of times this past summer - just no pix of air.

Fred

Attachments

• At the beach.jpg
    At the beach.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 500
  • Nice rooster.jpg
    Nice rooster.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 493
  • Waving.jpg
    Waving.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 498

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
36' Trojan - picture is from the brochure...mine's prettier.
Also have an 18' Tracker Bass Boat and 14' Alumacraft.

Attachments

• Trojan.jpg
    Trojan.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 484

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Waybomb and Wannafish, very nice boats!

What a name you chose waybomb. It's anything but plain Vanilla.

Do you have a name on yours Wannafish? Howbout posting pics of yours underway when you can.

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
She is currently the "April Star". I plan to change the name to "MIS-SEA III" in the spring. (Wife's name is Missy - she likes the name so I guess that's all that counts.) I purchased her this summer and will post pics of her underway...though it won't be until spring.

I had a 22' Baja. Most comfortable boat I've ever ridden in. With a few "tweaks" of the engine I was able to hit 72 mph on the GPS. What a ride. Then my Doctor said I had to slow down - sold it and bought a 36' sailboat. That's just too damn slow!

I'll power boat 'till I die.:D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
wannafish said:
Then my Doctor said I had to slow down - sold it and bought a 36' sailboat. That's just too damn slow!

Wow, what a switch, from a Baja to a blow boat! Blow boats are alot of work aren't they? I like cruising ....and going fast. Mine will only do 60 (on a good day) ...58mph all day long.

I've been thinking of upgrading, but still want a go fast. Considered a Sunsation 28 footer (largest you can go with just one motor to push it), but that is not much bigger than what we have. So ....maybe a 32 footer. But, if I want to slow down and spend more nights on the water (in the boat) I'd go for one like yours. What motors do you have in it? How many does it sleep comfortably? Do you boat on the Great lakes mostly?

Wannafish

Floppy Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Doc,

Yes, it was quite a switch. Wifey isn't happy that I'm now looking for something along the line of a 32' Powerquest w/twin 502's (to accompany the 36'), but at least I'll have a place to sleep if I get kicked out!

The Trojan has Twin 400 c.i. Chryslers @ 280 hp ea.
It will comfortably sleep 8...but over the course of the winter that will be changing to "6" as one of the beds will become my rod and tackle storage area. I love to salmon fish. Ain't very good at it, but I love to do it.:drink:
I had enough of the jet ski's flying around me years ago so I decided I wanted a boat big enough for Lake Michigan, and other than some of the larger rivers in Michigan, that's where you'll ususally find me on the weekends in the summer.

My first "larger" boat was a 28' Carver I bought in Alpena MI (Lake Huron).
That was a fun adventure bringing it around the "tip of the mit", under the Mackinaw Bridge, and down the Lake Michigan shoreline to Manistee MI.

I love the water. To me there is nothing more peaceful and relaxing then being rocked to sleep in a boat. Of course there was the night in the blow boat it took 3 anchors out to keep the wind from pushing us onto a shoal. What a night. By morning the bow of the boat would literally drop 9-10 feet as the waves rolled under us. Try standing/falling/laying/hanging on for dear life while trying to get the anchors in - had the wife at the helm trying to steer toward the anchors.:eek: Once that task was accomplished, the narrow little bay we had anchored in was getting the full force of wind right up it - up to 40 knots. It took over an hour with the little diesel at full power and me making short tacks up the bay to go 1/2 mile.
When you get done with one of those and you realize it was accomplished by YOU, all you can do is grin. Damn that was fun! (Though I don't think I'd want to do it again...but I could if I had too!)

Do you get out onto the big lakes at all?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks WannaFish. Well written, made me feel like I was there experiencing the wind, water and waves while you were trying to secure your sail boat.

No, I've never boated on the Great Lakes. I mainly do the Ohio River. We've taken the treck down to Lake Cumberland and Dale Hollow. Both part of the TVA. Both have very clear pristine water, and lots of houseboats to rent. I still prefer the Ohio Rver boating. We have a 45 mile pool from damn to damn, a few times a season we'll lock thru to get to other parts of the river. We live right on the river (50 acres with 1100 feet of river frontage), so it's nice to be able to party and boat and still have all the comforts of home right there. Plus, all of our boating buddies boat here with us. We have a good time.
I would love to boat under the Big Mac someday (Mackenac Bridge). Heck, I have not even driven over it and I heard that can be an adventure also.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Wannafish

What model 28 Carver did you have? Our first boat was a 1988 Carver Riviera. Bought it new at Oselka's in New Buffalo, used it on Lake Michigan, from Chicago to Macinak Island, Chesepeake Bay, near Kent Island, then over to Ventura Harbor, California on the ocean, finally back to Wisconsin, in Port Washington. That boat went farther on land than by sea.

Fred

JimR

Charter Member
We have a 1988 22 foot Celebrity that I picked up this summer. Just missed out on a 1985 25 foot Sea Ray for free that a guy had sink on him in the back only. He never showed up to give me the title or keys. I said the hell with him as it was a 175 mile round trip. Then he promised to mail them to me. That was 2 weeks ago. Who knows and I don't care now.

Attachments

• Celebrity2.jpg
    Celebrity2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 454
  • Celebrity5.jpg
    Celebrity5.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 454
  • Celebrity6.jpg
    Celebrity6.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 447

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's some video of Plain Vanilla on Lake Michigan this summer. Turn your speakers WAY up when you watch / listen to the first one - nice noise. Better yet, hook the audio output of your computer to your stereo and crank it up. It'll make your wife real mad, I know!
:jumpingSm

http://media.putfile.com/Plain-Vanilla-Nice-Noise
http://media.putfile.com/Plain-Vanilla

I'm taking the engines out now to freshen them up. No more horsepower, just bearings, rings, valve job, valve springs, etc.
http://media.putfile.com/Plain-Vanilla-Nice-Noise

v8dave

Wizard
You guys gotta stop this. I see any more nice boat pixs and I'm gonna have to stop reading this site.

My local boating area is either the Sacramento River Delta or some inland lakes. I grew up boating in the river delta. Most inland lakes are man-built and lack decent beaches or pull-in spots. The Delta has miles and miles of waterways to explore and lots of places to stop/stay at along the way.

I am currently resisting buying a straight inboard run-about. Both of my son-in-laws want to get boats. I'll satisfy my needs vicariously through them. When they get serious I'll put my two cents worth in for a good run-about. Not much need for over nighting on board unless you go to one of the larger inland lakes.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim R,
That interior is in awesome shape for an 88. Nice looking boat. Looks like it's been well taken care of. :)

COOL video's Waybomb. I love hearing both engines fire up like that. Awesome!!!
Plain Vanilla sure looks good underway. If I hit the lotto I'll have a twin engine go-fast boat! :D

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:
Jim R,
That interior is in awesome shape for an 88. Nice looking boat. Looks like it's been well taken care of. :)

Plain Vanilla sure looks good underway. If I hit the lotto I'll have a twin engine go-fast boat! :D

AAACCCKK! "Both Engines" ????- that's there's THREE (3) 572 cubic inch Merlins with 8-71 BDS blowers. I guess it is kinda hard hearing the third one start up after the first two.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Here's a pic of our Glastron in Ontario this past summer............& a couple cool old '60s pics from the Keikaffer (sp) Mercury archives

Attachments

• Glastron in Canada 7 05.jpg
    Glastron in Canada 7 05.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 428
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 418
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 428

JimR

Charter Member
Doc said:
Jim R,

Hey Doc, Actually the boat was not taken care of well enough. The interior is mint. The sub-floors need to be replaced. The boat had 124 hours on it when we bought it in August of this year. I put another 8-10 hours on it before we put it away for winter. In the next year or so I will pull the boat apart to replace the sub floors. I only paid $1500.oo for it.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Waybomb your right, I had forgot you have 3 powerplants in PV, I didn't hear the third one fire, but I wasn't listening closely for it either.

Good pics Tom. Sure looks nice up there. That is a bunch of skiers for a boat that size.

JimR what a buy. Only a tad over 100 hours! Great find. If you find any others that cheap keep me in mind. My boy is looking for a project boat.

JimR

Charter Member
Hey Doc,

I had this one all lined up for free. The guy reneged on the deal and really pissed me off. I drove 175 miles round trip to look at the boat. We set a date to get it out of the water and the guy never showed up. Nor did he answer his phone for the 2 hours that I hung around waiting for him. Then the guy promised to mail me the title and keys as I refused to take the boat without the title. The title never showed up and it has been 4 weeks now. So I drove 350 miles total for nothing. The second trip was pulling my trailer with my truck. The boat in question is a 1984 Sea Ray 255 Amberjack. It is 25 feet long with a 9' 8" beam. The back end went under during the 9 days of rain we had in October. Fortunately the boat was in a fresh water river when it went down. The cabin area stayed dry. It is powerd with a 330 horse 454 Mercruiser with a Bravo outdrive. I'm still pissed about this one. I was going to fix it up and sell it. As you can see in the pictures the boat looks pretty good. The rub rail needs to be re-attached. The rear swim platform needs to be replaced. The prop was damaged. I got the boat floating by pumping it out with my 5 hp 2" trash pump. I should have filled it up again with water after the guy didn't show up. The marina owner had pumped it once and towed the boat over to the beach so it couldn't sink. I pumped it again to get it off the beach and tied it up to a dock behind where it was. I bet it lies on the bottom right now again. The batteries are dead and there is no cover on it and we have had lots of rain since then. I probably should email the jerk again about the title.

Attachments

• DSC00250.JPG
    DSC00250.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC00251.JPG
    DSC00251.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC00252.JPG
    DSC00252.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 305
  • DSC00253.JPG
    DSC00253.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 299
  • DSC00254.JPG
    DSC00254.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 294

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd be PO'd at the guy to. Why do people make deals then renig on them. The boat looks to have potential, and the price sure was right. Do you think he got a better offer on it or couldn't come up with the title? What a jerk either way. To bad you can't charge him for your time and milage, especially since you pumped out his freaking boat.

JimR

Charter Member
I was wondering also about the title. But he was the one that offered to mail it to me. I think someone offered him money for the boat. If the boat was closer, I definitely would have gone back and put the water back in it. It's worth at least $6K fixed up. Some people are just assholes and this guy was at the head of the list on this one. I'm still pissed about all the time I wasted and gas money. I spent 10 hours total driving back and forth and waiting for him to no show. I was really tempted to pay the boat another visit and put a few holes in it.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't have a boat but my cocker spaniel does.

That's her beach ball in the back.

Jim

Attachments

• MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 282

JimR

Charter Member
I love it. Both of our dogs love boating and being out on the water. The real pisser is when they have to go to the bathroom. Overboard with a life jacket on the dog is what I do.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
JimR our dogs love boating and being out on the water.

Funny thing is that all of ours love the water especially the puddles in the yard after the rain.

If you use a four letter word involving water such as "bath" there's not a dog to be seen ;)

Jim

Last edited:

JayC

Huh?
Great pictures guys! Keep'em coming!:cool:

Waybomb, Plain Vanilla is awesome! What's the top speed of that monster? Probabaly loves its fuel, too. How many gallons does it hold?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Jay C

PV has 2 185 gallon tanks. I've only had the boat since July of this year, so I can't give you accurate fuel burn, but if you use 1/2 pound of fuel per horsepower per hour at WOT, I'd be using 1150 pounds an hour. That's about 200 gallons an hour. Of course, only racers run at WOT for extended times.

As for speed, the only indicator I had until the end of the year was the time I was running with a new 51' Outer Limits. After a while, we got together and he said he was showing 104. Not bad for an 18,000 pound boat, eh? Now I have a GPS, so I'll check myself out.

I broke an exhaust valve spring near the end of the season, so the only time I read speed, we had 4-5 footers out on the lake. Nobody else was out there except for a blo boater or two. I was hauling along at 70 mph gps, going over the waves so nicely.

I was told that this boat, when it was rerigged with these engines new, was clocked going to Key West at 110 mph, with the entire cabin filled with luggage.

I'm in the process of freshening up the engines now - new valves, valve springs, rings, bearings, oil pump, etc. The last idiot that freshened the engines up used silicone sealer everywhere. One of the engines was always about 10 psi less oil pressure at wot than the oetehr two. I suspect I will find the pick up full of squeezed out silicone on that one.