• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Saw this in the grocery store today

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone ever try this? Bob

Attachments

• Spotted Dick.jpg
    Spotted Dick.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 157

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Shopping in the "International Foods" aisle of your grocery store?

That is an English cake :British_f Then again, the English are not known for their cooking :chef:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Shopping in the "International Foods" aisle of your grocery store?

That is an English cake :British_f Then again, the English are not known for their cooking :chef:

And they're not known for their command of American slang. :biggrin:

I hate to admit it but I've eaten more than my fair share of spotted dick and custard. No comments please. It's good. It warms the cockles of your heart, one spoonful at a time. :biggrin:

PS It's a sponge pudding with raisens usually served with a yellow custard (Bird's)

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So, what is it, anyway?
Spotted dick is a traditional British pudding made from suet, or mutton fat. The suet is mixed with other ingredients, such as baking soda, flour, molasses, corn syrup, or nutmeg. This creates a pastry dough, to which raisins or dry fruit are added, hence the dessert's "spots." The dough is traditionally either steamed or boiled, and is often served with a custard sauce.
Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/12/what-is-spotted-dick_n_2259693.html

When I saw the ingredients, the main one being Mutton fat, it pretty well turned me off.

Bob

luvs

'lil yinzer~
GOLD Site Supporter
saw that on 1 of the imported foods aisles. almost bought a can to make my guests :yum:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
and wash it down with some Mexican Coke. That is also found in the international foods section. :yum:

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
I can get the ideal side dish at a local market.

Attachments

• uteris.jpg
    uteris.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 106

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
That's nothing compared to some of the stuff I've watched Andrew Zimmer eat. I love it when he eats eyeballs then eats the same critter's testicles. I guess that makes him a ballsy kind of guy.:yum:

leadarrows

Actually, Mexican Coke tastes like U.S. Coke, circa 1955!! I just wish the price were more reasonable!

The whole new coke thing was done to make the switch from cain sugar to corn syrup seem less noticeable.
The reason mex coke tastes like old coke is it uses real sugar.
Now it might come back because of the price of corn due to corn in our gas.

"Nearly 30 years ago, Coca-Cola switched over from sugar to high-fructose corn syrup to sweeten America's beloved carbonated soft drink. With corn subsidized by the government, its sugary syrup became a more affordable option for the beverage company.
While this switch went largely unnoticed for quite some time (though it's common knowledge these days), it didn't take place on an international level. Actually, the sweetener used in Coca-Cola varies from country to country based on what ingredient is most affordable for the bottling plant's location. And in many countries, Mexico included, Coke is still made with real sugar." More