• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Corned Beef and Cabbage

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Corned beef is one of my 100's of favorite foods. Just made some yesterday. I always throw in the little spice packet that comes with it. Then
I put my own stuff in. Only approximate measurements, I'm a guy ya know.
1 heaping Tbls of dill weed
1/2 Tbls of ginger, no, not the redhead, the spice
1/2 Tbls of Colmans dry mustard
Couple of bay leaves
1 heaping Tbls caraway seeds
I've seen where it's been suggested, once the beef has simmered 2 1/2 hours, to pour out the water, and add fresh, bring to a boil, then add taters, onions, carrots, and finally the cabbage once the taters are done. I don't change the water, can't see why one would throw all those good spices away, they're for eatin' too!!

Does anyone know what those spice packets have in them? There isn't much in them.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
No offense John ,but corned beef makes me YAK . I'm glad You didn't come up with a recipe for LIVER and Onions:puke1:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
nixon said:
No offense John ,but corned beef makes me YAK . I'm glad You didn't come up with a recipe for LIVER and Onions:puke1:

I can call my Mom and get hers for you if you want. I don't think I've had liver and onions since I've been married.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
OhioTC18 said:
I can call my Mom and get hers for you if you want. I don't think I've had liver and onions since I've been married.
TC,thanks,but no thankYou ! My wife tried that on Me 28 years ago :)
She did a great job, unfortunately it still tasted like liver and onions !

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Liver and onions :puke1::puke1::puke1::puke1::puke1:
Thank God Jan can't handle it either. Just can't handle eating something elses organs. I can't really take natural cased sausages either, if it is natural, I DON'T want to know!:yum::tiphat::beer::beer:

lilnixon

AKA LILVIXEN
GOLD Site Supporter
I love Both, but As you all can see John doesn't.. So I have them when he is not around. The spice that is in the little pouch is Coriander, black pepper and crushed basil.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
johnday said:
I've seen where it's been suggested, once the beef has simmered 2 1/2 hours, to pour out the water, and add fresh, bring to a boil, then add taters, onions, carrots, and finally the cabbage once the taters are done. I don't change the water.

It's one of my favorites too. About ten years ago we made a discovery. Not having time after work to cook we decided to try setting up the slowcooker (crockpot) in the AM and letting it cook all day. Our corned beef hasn't been back on the stove since. What a great way to cook something where the blend of flavors makes the meal. the only thing is if you like cabbage you have to add more about 1 hour before you eat, the cabbage you put in originally will cook down into broth during the day.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
So, That's how You manage to make the House smell like a third world restaurant !! I've always wondered why the Dogs come out to greet me so Joyfully when You are concocting that stuff:pat: :yum: :yum:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
lilnixon said:
I love Both, but As you all can see John doesn't.. So I have them when he is not around. The spice that is in the little pouch is Coriander, black pepper and crushed basil.

Exactly the same in our house. :eek:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What is the difference between CORNED BEEF and BRISKET?

I like them both, both look pretty much the same, but you cook them differently. What gives?

BTW, I love liver. Liver & Onions w/bacon. Chicken liver & Onions. Liver & Gizzards (boiled in garlic/salt water). Liver, Gizzards & Hearts (breaded & deep friend, or pan fried). Goose liver. Pate. Liver Sausage.

And natural casing hot dogs too!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Good God ! That is just wrong !:puke1: I just can't handle it and I have honestly tried too . Liver and onions is also on the same list . :puke1:

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
BTW, I love liver. Liver & Onions w/bacon. Chicken liver & Onions. Liver & Gizzards (boiled in garlic/salt water). Liver, Gizzards & Hearts (breaded & deep friend, or pan fried).

When we cook a Turkey, Phyl likes to simmer the giblets for a baste. It's funny how the heart and liver disappear after a little simmering :coolshade

Cityboy

Banned
B_Skurka said:
What is the difference between CORNED BEEF and BRISKET?

I like them both, both look pretty much the same, but you cook them differently. What gives?

BTW, I love liver. Liver & Onions w/bacon. Chicken liver & Onions. Liver & Gizzards (boiled in garlic/salt water). Liver, Gizzards & Hearts (breaded & deep friend, or pan fried). Goose liver. Pate. Liver Sausage.

And natural casing hot dogs too!

Ditto. I like all those; except never tried goose liver and not sure what pate is. :beer: You must have a little Southerner in ya, Bob, or at least some redneck.

Haven't had corned beef in years.... Been married 16 years and can't recall CityGirl ever fixing it.

Nixon mentioned third world restaraunts....I ate lots of stuff like that in the Philipines and Korea, and even fried gizzards in Japan. Back then with a dozen or so San Miguels under the belt no tellin what I'd eat :eek: :D. At the open air markets in Pampanga they used to sell barbecued chicken hearts on a stick....mmmmm:drink: Chowed down on lotsa stuff like that & loved it.....at least I think I did...

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Cityboy said:
Nixon mentioned third world restaraunts....I ate lots of stuff like that in the Philipines and Korea, and even fried gizzards in Japan. Back then with a dozen or so San Miguels under the belt no tellin what I'd eat :eek: :D. At the open air markets in Pampanga they used to sell barbecued chicken hearts on a stick....mmmmm:drink: Chowed down on lotsa stuff like that & loved it.....at least I think I did...
Back then I made it a habit Not to ask what it was The choice of chaser was SingHai or '33 .

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay! You win ! But in my defense I was Very Young .
I was at the time stationed in Thailand . We (two Americans ) were invited to a
Village House blessing . It was quite an honor .
All the local government folks were there . When one of the Thai staff asked what I'd like to eat, I said "chicken knees " . The Guy I was with just started laughing ,and said I should be careful of what I said .
To make a long and painful story short.... I was delivered a plate full of pickled Chicken feet ! They were pickled in the hottest sauce I can think of since the invention of FIRE. The meat, if you can call it that, was transparrent .
I had to eat them all with the first sign of distress ,as it would have been a grave insult to my Thai hosts . To this day, even the thought of things like Buffalo wings bring back bad thoughts .

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Funny Nixon. I'm afraid I might have insulted my Thai hosts ....

In the Philipines one every street corner they sold meat on a stick (Subic Bay). We called it Monkey meat. I also heard rumor it was dog. No idea what it was, but it was tastey. Marital law was in effect so on the way back to the ship or to a local's apartment we'd get some as a pre midnight snack.

Cityboy

Banned
Doc said:

In the Philipines one every street corner they sold meat on a stick (Subic Bay). We called it Monkey meat. I also heard rumor it was dog. No idea what it was, but it was tastey. Marital law was in effect so on the way back to the ship or to a local's apartment we'd get some as a pre midnight snack.

They were still selling the monkey meat in '85-86' too. Ate lots of it!:drink: :D There is no place that feels and smells like Magsaysay Drive (The street that leads back to the Naval Station)

Actually, I think the "monkey meat" was oxen or maybe beef. But then who really knows?

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc said:

In the Philipines one every street corner they sold meat on a stick (Subic Bay). We called it Monkey meat. I also heard rumor it was dog. No idea what it was, but it was tastey.
Doc and CB, I was stationed at Clark . The "meat on a Stick" was great,especially after a few "San Magoos" :) I also liked something they called Lumpia . Never got up the nerve to try Ballute (sp) !!!!