• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Brits Caught Talking While Driving To Be Jailed

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Article HERE and included below.

Talking, texting, or otherwise using a mobile device while driving is becoming illegal in more and more states here in the United States. None of the penalties here are as severe as those about to go into effect over in the United Kingdom, though. Break the no-texting-and-driving law in England and you'll be sent up to the Big House.

The authorities in the U.K. are taking the matter of using mobile devices while operating motor vehicles very seriously. Does talking and/or texting while driving represent a risk to you and other motorists? I think that point is pretty well agreed upon now, with some research likening the impairment to that of driving while drunk. The U.K. Department for Transport notes that "drivers are four times more likely to crash if they are holding a mobile or sending a text while at the wheel."

The use of mobile phones by drivers was banned completely in 2003. As the law stands, drivers are fined automatically if caught talking while driving. Well, new penalties are being applied to the laws governing talking and driving in England, and they are pretty steep. Now, if motorists are charged with reckless driving due to the use of their mobile phones, they can be jailed for up to two years and face unlimited fines.

Two years in jail for talking on your phone and driving? That had better be one important phone call.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with that law 100%. I don't know how many times I've aslmost been hit by some woman yackin on her cell phone while driving. Not trying to be biased but 90% of the time, when I see someone driving eratically,(speed up, slow down, all over the road) when I finally am able to get around the vehicle, I look at the driver and it's usually a woman talking on a cell phone while putting on makeup and drinking a cup of coffee all at the same time as driving. Now, the hands-free setups that are voice activated are a different story. I've got the on-star system in my new truck and have used the phone while driving a few times now. It is almost like talking to someone right next to you.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I've got the on-star system in my new truck and have used the phone while driving a few times now. It is almost like talking to someone right next to you.

So how is that less distracting than talking on the phone? How many people here actually drive with both hands on the wheel all the time? And then why do you think that is safer than driving with one? Maybe years ago before power steering was that guideline valid.

My perspective is women have been almost hitting, and sometimes even doing it, long before cell phones were around. They're just bad drivers.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Gotta call a spade a spade.

Every time one of my vehicles was damaged because of an accident, it always involved a female, and she was always the one at fault.

Making something illegal isn't going to stop the activity.

Do you have any idea how many women read books, magazines, etc, while driving? I see at least one per week. I usually honk my horn and flip 'em off. They look so surprised and dumbfounded as to why I would do that. Then they go back to reading while driving.

It would probably be safer to make them use the cell phone from the time the key is turned on to the time it is turned off.

Anyway, that's my parting shot - I am done posting for two weeks - going to Poland. Leaving at 1pm today, back Jan 5. Unless they have wireless over there.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gotta call a spade a spade.
As the old saying goes "Not all bad drivers are women but all women are bad drivers". :hide:

Anyway, that's my parting shot - I am done posting for two weeks - going to Poland. Leaving at 1pm today, back Jan 5. Unless they have wireless over there.
Enjoy your trip!!! Catch 'ya on the flip.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
You know how many women do there hair and make up in heavy traffic! Even driving at 65mph? I would say a good 40% in CA San Jose area. I watched it for 3 years! (morning hours of course)

rico304

I took an accident report a couple years ago where a young lady ran into the car ahead of her. The car that got hit was at a stop sign in a VERY heavy pedestrian walking area. She said she just didn't stop in time once she saw that he was stopped. I noticed no skids (which is common this day and age due to anti lock). A witness said she hit the car hard, and it didn't look as though she slowed at all.
The air bag deployed (which doesn't happen often, especially in a 25 mph zone)
When looking at her car I noticed the rear view mirror was aimed at the driver's seat instead of toward the.....rear of the car. (novel thought)
When I looked at the air bag (all white) I noticed there was an interesting red symbol on it. I had never seen a symbol on the bag before. I checked closer and the symbol looked like a bright red set of lips... well, 3/4 of a set because she hadn't quite finished putting her lipstick on. hahaha
She was still putting lipstick on when the bag deployed.
Good thing nobody was crossing the street at that time.:boobies:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
The main problem with sending people to jail for talking on their phones is that the jails are already so crowded they are setting murderers and rapists free early to free up space. I would rather a rapist spent longer in jail, rather than being set free so that a phone user could be locked up.