• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mid West Cat Clowder, July 21-23

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
No Joke.
I made a phone call today to a retired shop teacher. Out of that phone call came a neat idea to Get Together. Ironically there will be a Snow Shadow sneaking around in July as well, so Here it is......

The 2017 Mid West Cat Clowder summer edition.:wow:
The thought is to keep it simple, work related with a social over tone.

Come One, Come all. July 22-23 will be a snow cat GTG in Appleton WI. Camping on site, Bring a camper, Tent ect....
There are franchise hotels near by,
There is a big farmhouse to find a spot in. What ever suits your needs.

Bring a Cat.
Buy a Cat
Sell a Cat
Fix a Cat
Operate a Cat.

There are a couple of distressed ST-4's that will be the focus of the mechanical attention.
Example here:
the one headed west needs its tracks put on.
The one headed south needs some motor work.
A resident machine will be getting its valves adjusted as well as new push rod tubes.

A amphibious Spryte will be needing some assembly.

There is a planned open house of a private over the snow collection nearby. (300 H-H can elaborate in the collection) It is worth the 20 minute ride over there to see it.

The event is 50 minutes from Road America, the Vintage cars are there that weekend.

This is the weekend before the Experimental Air craft Association's Oshkosh EAA. so come early for the EAA and take in a display of vintage people and enthusiastic over the snow transportation contraptions.

I will fire up the Boo-Yah cooker, as well as the Pig spinner, I heard AweHellSnow mention breakfast on the farm, all the single ladies will contribute. ( her flock of yard birds )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m1EFMoRFvY

In addition to the cluttered expired dairy operation buildings, I have a 20'x30' tent lined up to make the clowns feel at home and take care of the sun or the rain...
I am thinking to make a team building competition to divide the group into to teams and have a VW start up competition. the Two Snow tracs have not operated for 12-15 years respectively.Rick you are a neutral resource to keep it fair

Please contact your networks of enthusiast any way you can as not many folks are thinking snow this time of year.

any and all comments for activities welcome, I feel the host compound is quite entertaining. We could watch the movie The Thing, from the inside of the LMC used in the final scene...:whistling:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
nite owl
old shop teacher
300 h-h
Coot bruce
redsqwrl
snow shadow
NE Iowa
awehellsnow

User names.......

Ironically, our snowmobile club rents a Ice shaver each summer for breakfast on the farm, ( an Agriculture based experience for city kids ) so the technically there could be snow at the event.....

Sno Cones:whistling:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The private collection of over the snow machines is quite an experience to see. It brought back so many memories of machines that are long gone from the market place. I consider a trip up to Wisconsin is worthy just to see this collection. I know of nothing like this any were...

Hope everyone can make it up to this event. :clap:

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just stopped over at the nelson cat residence today, Just as I thought he was sitting around watching his crops grow, Farmers have such a great life.. work a little in spring and fall and then sit around the rest of the time.....:flowers:

I'm kidding for folks that don't know me.... I could not do the job he was doing as I would destroy half the crop. (cultivating)

the good news is:
We have a lead on some locally produced Sweet corn.. so add roasted, boiled and steamed sweet corn to the list of *whats going on at the *Clowder workshop*

the photo is what I was up to..... semi professional snow cat mover.....

Attachments

• br-60.jpg
    br-60.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 311

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here you go, my neck can't take those sideways photos
Since your a semi pro mover maybe I should get a quote I have 1 in Alaska
2 in Arizona 1 in Utah and 1 in Colorado that are need to come east interested?
More than a semi load could have 3 more soon :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 303

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here you go, my neck can't take those sideways photos
Since your a semi pro mover maybe I should get a quote I have 1 in Alaska
2 in Arizona 1 in Utah and 1 in Colorado that are need to come east interested?
More than a semi load could have 3 more soon :wink:

Now here is man who should see the "collection" in Wisconsin. Would be good to meet you in the flesh as well... :smile:

Seriously this is one collection of over the snow machines you do not want to miss.

Regards, Kirk

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Now here is man who should see the "collection" in Wisconsin. Would be good to meet you in the flesh as well... :smile:

Seriously this is one collection of over the snow machines you do not want to miss.

Regards, Kirk

Certainly sounds like a great get together, but I will be in Canada at the lodge then. :sad: J

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm glad that pic got straightened out, I thought that grade looked a bit steep for the farmland around Kaukauna. I spent a good chunk of my life living in Appleton (grew up in Algoma), great place great people! Id love to check out the machines but we are already driving back to Wisco in August, don't want to make that drive too many times in a year. Is that 60+ used on snowmobile trails?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
BEAR CAT'S ( fish house in Algoma )

I will have to go visit dairy dean and tug some of bear cats salmon back for the summer work shop.......

Yeah I struggle with smart phones that are so smart they align the codec with only macs.

Yeah the machine is headed to the east of me to be used between brillion and wrightstown. primary machines on those trails are a tucker and and a fendt tractor on soucy tracks... Both of those machines suck in the swampy marshy areas.... I was impressed with the BR fairly nimble and the AC was welcome Yesterday. super humid.

I see on the map I have been near lima twice this summer. I cut across Canada and hit the ferry makes the trip actually enjoyable.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Certainly sounds like a great get together, but I will be in Canada at the lodge then. :sad: J

that could be as close as 6 hrs.......:whistling:

As far as retrieving cats back to the midwest. I have two simple mottos,

(stolen from a FF member)

1) get a quote and I will gladly double it.
2) You can get better, but you will never pay more....

stay in touch I may be able to assist when the kink in my lower back settles down...:w00t2:

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
wow, summertime fun with crazy cat people, what could be better, than Wisconsin in the Summer, will there sno cat races?

Backyardski

BackyardskiLima
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, Bearcats is really good. If you're ever in kewaunee stop by Lafonds fish market. Andy is a third generation commercial fisherman and opened in Fiolas place in kewauneee when they got out of it. I didn't see a website but he has a public Facebook page. https://m.facebook.com/lafondsfishmarket/
We lived next door to the Lafonds growing up, Andys brother Steven and I are still best friends. Back in the early 80's,bearcat worked for Andy Sr and Mary in Algoma at Lafonds fish house. Steven and I would fish all day long at the dock and get samples of chubs and whitefish right out of the smoker all the time. Soooo good. Andy is running the Oliver Smith which is the sister ship to his grandpas boat the Lelond Lafond, lots of pics of that tug on the Google. I'd like to hit the clowder in the powder 2017, is there a weekend scheduled for that yet?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
wow, summertime fun with crazy cat people, what could be better, than Wisconsin in the Summer, will there sno cat races?

well, adult beverages, a circus tent, a couple of snow cats I don't own in the yard........:clap: I would say the odds are pretty good that some international something or another will be lined up against a ATC 110 or a yamaha Zuma. An ideal situation would be the alfalfa cutting cut right before or during the event, we would have lanes to try to stay in..

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I mean 2018, jeez time flies

Yes, Yes, Yes... the first Saturday in February is the date....

plan to come early the trail rides generally happen the days leading up to the clowder. Saturday is the show and ahh, well lets stick with show. (My cats are not so... shiny.) cat maneuvering events are Saturday after noon leading into the parade and tour of the grounds.

I will have to alter my bike ride route and head south a bit to check out the Lefond operation.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A Quick update:

The snow tracs are in the compound. ( I will do my best to not get a head start on the start up competition ) we are working up a quality prize for the team that fires off the resting VW first.... there are three engines to choose from. all have been sitting about the same amount of time. (7-10 years)
all engines will be mounted to some sort of transaxle with starters.
tooling kits and consumables will be provided on site. (think treasure hunt)
parts swapping allowed between teams ( Junk yard wars style)

a 54' tucker has become eligible for service. ( it actually runs and drives ) but as all tuckers present, it has elements of need, to provide entertainment to the mechanically inclined..... I may put the ignition back the way I found it and see how long it takes folks to fire that old Girl back up.

A donation of track hardware has been offered. (backer plates, bolts, nuts washers ect) If you have been putting off some track work, get your belts ordered and get up,over,down here..... I have donor Spryte tracks and BR 160 tracks to pull more parts from..

a negotiated amount of event shirts are in the works. Free on a first come first served basis...

For travel purposes the event is in the 54913. PM for detailed directions to the compound.

Snowshadow

Long time lurker, part-time Clowder participant coming out of the Shadows here. A big thank you Red Sqwrl for facilitating the transport and feeding the illness, it has progressed from the desire to owner phase and has not reached the hoarder state(yet). As Couchloafer once stated "If you can't get a snowcat for all your friends, have your friends get a snowcat."
Here are some pics of one of the St-4s currently asleep in the Squirrels nest.

#1059 is the tag on the ST-4 with ST-4B #1037 providing some of the replacement parts. Unfortunately the body of 1037 was recycled and the frame chopped. Both machines sustained significant front end damage and only the 1059 machine remains.
After a sleep deprived turn and burn and a 2 month wait, I am looking forward to seeing and assessing what is actually there.

Thank you to all the forum members for providing the community and information to be able to bring these field finds back to life.

This is going to be fun...

SS

Attachments

• image-2920624106.jpg
    image-2920624106.jpg
    558.2 KB · Views: 336
  • image-3538056180.jpg
    image-3538056180.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 332
  • image-993156010.jpg
    image-993156010.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 335
  • image-1643540791.jpg
    image-1643540791.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 329
  • image-3244271984.jpg
    image-3244271984.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 346

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm look forward to seeing you Snow shadow. It has been a bit... We need to get caught up... :flowers:

This is going to be a lot of fun!

Regards, Kirk

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
thought i would go ahead and share this unconfirmed rumor, I am told that a square door unrestored running kitten and it's owner are planning to come to the summer time clowder, his plan is to sell it and go home with an empty trailer, price is unknown at this time...

so, if you are wanting a kitten, this may be a opportunity to acquire one. and remember, this is a unconfirmed rumor at this time, if and when, more info is shared, i will be happy to pass it along...

understand the squirrel is going all out to make this a great event...

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
his plan is to sell it and go home with an empty trailer,

That will be quite a feat.
:w00t2:

between the all things over the snow museum and my compound of all things mechanical... leaving empty will be possible but highly unlikely.:yum:

It is full steam ahead on the workshop.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
In the interest of helping Dan oneal with his large sprocket needs, Would anyone want to see EDM (electric Discharge machining) in person?

I was kind of intrigued about the process and still can't get my head around how precise the process is given what is going on there. anyhow... "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy"
I could order some sprockets in and get my people to create them into usable snow trac parts at different parts of the weekend. Whether or not you want to see all the steps or just some of the steps of it might be fun? ( im sort of weird, so this may not apply to NORMAL people)

all the shops are within a few minutes drive from the compound.
I suppose I could just have the work done ahead and just see the machine as the run time on some of the steps is longer than I can concentrate..:whistling:

any thoughts?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Book your Hotel rooms in the area soon, they are filling up. My wife and I got the last Country Inn and Suits room in Little Chute. They are now full up. With the Historic racing that weekend at Road America, hotels are going to be busy..

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got a text from the mrs, that there is an americ inn, and days inn that are available. the over the snow collector mentioned a new hotel in brillion, I apologize for not having details but I am sure lodging will be available as Greenbay doesn't have a Home football game and the Experimental Air Craft Association starts the week after. for logistics and planning Key cities of Oshkosh 25 minutes south appleton, kaukauna, little chute, and greenbay 20 minutes north are places to search. any hotel/motel along the 41 corridor is convenient.
Again the house sleeps 8-14
oops there went the power.....

signing off to batten down the hatches......till later from 54120

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
thought i would go ahead and share this unconfirmed rumor, I am told that a square door unrestored running kitten and it's owner are planning to come to the summer time clowder, his plan is to sell it and go home with an empty trailer, price is unknown at this time...

so, if you are wanting a kitten, this may be a opportunity to acquire one. and remember, this is a unconfirmed rumor at this time, if and when, more info is shared, i will be happy to pass it along...

understand the squirrel is going all out to make this a great event...

just got word, the gentlemen with the kitten can't make the summer clowder, he did say he will be putting up for sale soon, he is thinking Ebay, i will give you guys a heads up when i hear more...