• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker Tracks too Tight?

Cltjones

Had New belts made up for 1976 1643 Tucker. 5 7/8" pitch. 32 grousers. Only have 3/4" sag seems too tight what to do. Please need help! Cheers Gord

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I suspect it will stretch a bit as you use it...

My 1980 1600's have 31 grousers and 6 1/16" pitch. But the track belts would end up very close in overall length:
32 x 5.875 = 188"
31 x 6.0625 = 187.9375"

Here's what it says in the Tucker Operator's Manual:

"Track Tensioning

The track carrier is provided with an adjustment bolt which changes the position of the end wheel. The track assembly is manufactured with a track pitch slightly less than the sprocket pitch. The track tension must be adjusted to stretch the track assembly to match the sprocket when the track is new. This adjustment may be checked by driving the machine slowly forward and observing that the track exits the sprocket without catching. After the track has stretched slightly in use, a periodic inspection and adjustment should be made to remove excess slack. Always tighten the lock nut after each adjustment. Do not drive the SNO-CAT until the adjustment screws have been set to provide a minimum of 3/8" between the first and second wheels of each track carrier assembly."

Hope this helps.

Cltjones

Hi, thanks for that. Where do I take the measurement for the 3/8" Is it unde3r the first 2 Idler Wheels. The length of the track is 187.5" center of grommet to center of grommet. Attached are a few photos. All Idler wheels sprocket and sliders are new . Worried about it being too tight. Cheers Gord

Attachments

• Tucker Snow Cat 004.jpg
    Tucker Snow Cat 004.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 815
  • Tucker Snow Cat 003.jpg
    Tucker Snow Cat 003.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 682
  • Tucker Snow Cat 002.jpg
    Tucker Snow Cat 002.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 638
  • Tucker Snow Cat 001.jpg
    Tucker Snow Cat 001.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 637

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
The only clearance you can change is between the last fixed wheel, and the wheel attached to the adjustable section of the carrier. With a 1600 series machine the long end of the carrier should be toward the front of the machine with the front carriers, and toward the rear end of the machine with the rear carriers. So the adjustable section should be the furthest forward wheel in front, and furthest aft wheel in rear.

P.S. Nice looking machine!

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Now remember if its the Germany Tucker they like to run the track

'' GUDENTIGHT'' :shifty:just like there ............. :mellow:Well this is a family Forums :biggrin:

if you got the tracks to bolt together take it for a ride and let them stretch /seat in---loose tracks are bad---that's how you snap belting---iam sure most guys don't know why----if they are to tight you will start to break cleats----looking at the pics. I would order bolt on lacing---doing the lay over thing not good----when a track repair is done we go back a few bolts each way from the damage----and on a tucker your belting does not wrap around the sprocket like others----so with the lacing you could grab another 1/2 inch or so if you think they r to tight

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
looking at the pics. I would order bolt on lacing---doing the lay over thing not good----when a track repair is done we go back a few bolts each way from the damage----

That's an excellent point! I didn't look at the photos, and when the OP said he "had new belts made up" I assumed (erroneously) they would have been professionally made with belt lacing.

To the OP: Most people use Flexco 375 style belt lacing for Tucker track belts. The dimensions I quoted in an earlier post assumed (there's that word again) end to end length with no overlap.

That particular clamp lacing we see here is what Pisten Bully is doing on all their tracks now. At first I was not too excited about them but now I can see they are a better design than the hinge lacing that was once the standard. The ones on this Tucker look a little overkill in the hardware being used but I still would not think of them as non-proffesional.

Cltjones

Yes they were made up by a pro. The problem is they seem tight at 187.5 inches center of grommet to center of grommet. Tucker says with their lacing that the measurement is 188 3/8". Have all 16 belts for all tracks and if I cut them to tuckers length 187 3/8 inches then the cut would be in the grommet holes then add regular Tucker lacing. Not a pro myself so need advise

I can't see where the type of lacing would have much to do with belt tension as long as the pitch of the track was to specs. In case you don't know the pitch is basically the center to center spacing from grouser(cleat) to grouser. as long as that spacing is correct and you have the correct number of grousers per track then not much else matters.

I can see where over all track length will vary depending on track lacing method but your style would require longer belting due to the overlap. Maybe you are short a grouser then?