• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Repowering the J5....diesel. need clutch help.

groomer08

hi all,
so i found this awesome site that does diesel conversions, and theyre kit allows me to put a kubota v2203 diesel into a jeep willys...almost perfect.
problem is i cant id my trans...kinda.
I THINK its a np435....looks like it and casting numbers match....but my trans is a 3 speed....np435 should be a 4 speed.
mounting pattern is weird too.
top bolts 8.5" wide,
bottom 9" wide
one side is 2.5" down, other is 2.75"
looks like clutch shaft was in way??
so theyre kit wants the l134 bellhousing and a t90 trans...
so my input shaft is 3/8" too long, no biggy, i can cut it
BAD NEWS: my input shaft is too big. 1-3/8" ten spline
DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A 8.5" dia clutch that accepts 1-3/8" diameter 10 spline on the disc??
i can only find one....and its a racing UNSPRUNG model on summit.com
anyway...i have the kubota motor here, and Im dying to drive this cool j5, but i cant get past the seized 251 motor problem! motor is out and on the shop floor...tried 2 different replacement motors and neither of them jive. would love to just ditch the gasser and go diesel.
other option is to just find a t90 trans but then i have to deal with the shifter in my crotch. not really a fan. HELP!!!
been sitting on this toy over a year.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I run a nisson diesel in my 80 scout. the 6 and 4 are the same mounts.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim I had access to one those sd 88's weigh in as much as a big block chevy I want to limit the additional weight I add to it.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had the 6 cylinder and my shop manual stated that the 4 was the all same only minus 2 cylinders.
it was heavy .turboed to 88hp when reved up some.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
with that kind of weight I can drop in a 6.2 idi and get 150 hp and get around 180 with a turbo 6.5 I would rather keep it light nimble and simple like the original jeeps.

J5 Bombardier

I take it the Kubota has a clutch to bolt onto its flywheel, but wrong splines . If so can you swap the disc center of the J5 into the disc of the Kubota ? Would like to see the adapter plate for the trans to Kubota.
J5 Bombardier

groomer08

overlanddiesel.com does the adapter kit.
large adapter plate, modified kubota flywheel, mounts, etc
The clutch disc with the 1-3/8" spline is what im trying to find, but the jeep with a l134 runs a 8.5" clutch disc, and i can only find one clutch disc, its on summit.com and is a 6 puck UNSPRUNG race clutch. not exactly longevity or track buggy friendly.
Biggest problem is i have no CONCRETE names, numbers etc on the stock J5 clutch or trans.
best i can figure...its a new proccess np435...out of like a ford f600 or 700, as its a 2wd model with the parking brake on the tailshaft. guess these trannys were also used in new holland balewagons and LOTS of heavy equipment, maybe thats why there is a 3 speed variant? or my trans is a 4 speed and i dont know it? shift pattern follows the 3 speed mention in the J5 manual.
and if it is the np435 and run behind the industrial 251...it has a 11" clutch disc.
cant believe something is so vague. no wonder people just swap in theyre own trannys.
4bt swap with a allison auto is looking easier all the time!
just sucks because i have the kubota on the ground and its a bulletproof motor.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
most jeep and ford products use the same input shafts and splines along with bolt pattern on the transmission. the difference being the jeep pilot bering verses the ford bering they are different sizes. the j5 may still have the old Chrysler trans that came with the flat head motor.

groomer08

so i've powered thru the clutch problem...kinda.
I can have a custom 8.5" clutch made for 100bux or depending on the flywheel my kubota has, i can prob fit a 9" in there out of a ford 8n tractor.

now Im trying to work through the throw-out bearing issue. cant just use the chrysler bearing as it wont work with the willys throw-out fork. waiting for info on the willys bearing and fork to see what we can do.
GRRRRRR!!!!!! i just want to bolt the dam engine in there and be done with it!!!!
the chrysler runs a longitutinal throwout fork,
the willys runs a ball and pivot style fork. different bores/stroke etc

groomer08

so im chugging along...
the kubota is out of the reefer and in the shop, not too pretty but it runs
Ive ordered the proper bellhousing, and the proper clutch,
waiting for the clutch to come in so i can send that and my flywheel off for grinding and boltholes...probably a custom pilot bushing too.
trying to nail down the adapter guy, but hes a canadian and im HOPING he hasnt run off on a 6 month northern adventure yet.
if he has i have to find someone who can make me a adapter plate, and i probably just wasted money on the bellhousing because i can have them use my 251 bell.
anyway, im hoping to get the j5 in the shop here shortly so i can clean up the tub and paint it etc. mite as well make her look pretty if im going through all this work!!
ive also decided if i get it in there and it runs, i will turbo it, but i dont want to overcomplicate the project right now.