• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1985 1342B project

Tucky1342

Yes. They told me the blueprinted the motor and then bored it out and sleeved that one cylinder. The motor has a RV cut cam too. On the Dyno the numbers came back at 215 HP at 4100 RPM and 338 Ft/lb torque at 2600 RPM. I groom at around 2800 RPM so it is right in the power band. The first rebuild had the same numbers and it pulled the drag with no problems. I should put up some pictures of the custom drag we built, but got to get the Tucker back together first.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just a grooming question.

I assume you have 4:88 gears in the final drives. do you find yourself in 3rd gear in that trans or fourth,
I have a manual trans 5 spd in my tucker, behind the 318 I find myself in third most of the time. I think I could pull fourth but it is just hard to stay in the power and do a good job.
Just curious

Tucky1342

My Tucker has an Allison 4 speed automatic. It stays in third most of the time unless on flat or down hill then fourth only changes the rpm's slightly. nice part is you can feather the pedal to get it to down shift starting up steep hills so it pulls second all the way up. I know someone local with the standard and they are not very happy with it. They have to pick a gear and start out as they cannot shift on the fly.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, same same here. (shifting on the fly requires Olympic timing and precise execution)
I had a cummins powered 1542 with an allison and third gear was the quality speed. I had plenty of grunt to pull 4th but snow was just flying every where and the bolts were shaking out of literally everything..... so Mid throttle in third is where the machine lived.

I find it quite fun to drop the drag and just drive around empty, everything still shakes and vibrates but the light feeling is enjoyable. I can't start out in fifth with out handing the clutch disc its ass but 4th to 5th is a do-able shift without the drag on.

Keep up the good work.

Tucky1342

Got the front end put back in it. the rear will be next summers project IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

Tucky1342

I kept smelling gas every once in a while. finally figured it out. the gas tank has a small rust hole in the bottom corner only would only seep when it was hot and the tank expanded. So back to the shop for another project. Built a semi-copy of the original tank. This one is made from 10 gauge S/S and added a couple of internal baffles. Could not decide on a paint for S/S so had the tank Line-X coated. Came out nice. The tinkering never ends. Well it will once we get some snow!IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

The Sweet Wbj1

I like the stainless tank!!

Did you add the extra "teeth" to the grousers? Also, can you explain how and where you did the hardfacing on the grousers?

Tucky1342

I will attach another picture that shows it better. I added on 3" wide X 3/4" tall x 1/4" thick C/C plates. they are approx. the same height as the ice keels, so the tracks don't rock back and forth on hard pack. I have been driving it around on hard dirt this summer and have not bent any of them. I stick welded down the length of the grouser up and over the new teeth and the ice keels. Figured this would give some sacrificial surface to wear off and not the grouser base metal.
100_0662.jpg