• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Air Filter: NEED SNOW TRAC PART.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: NEED SNOW TRAC PART.

The first years, 56 thru 60, had a modified VW bus Air Cleaner. This unit is an oil bath type and sits off to the side of the engine. The OEM Bus air cleaner was too long and had to be shortened up about 2 inches. From then on it was a flat thin silver unit that you have no doubt seen in photos. It is not and especially good air cleaner and had an adapter to fit the appropriate carb. They tended to catch on the automatic choke if one replaced the original manual choke carb with a newer automatic choke carb. Sometimes they just fell off. Cheapo crome aftermarket air cleaners with a replaceable cartridge are available for about 10$ from VW shops. LYNDON.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: NEED SNOW TRAC PART.

I have my original flat style air cleaner, but I also picked up a new low profile one from a VW shop (which I presume is the type Lyndon is referring) that would offer better airflow. Its not installed yet as that is a summer project.

Attachments

• air cleaner.jpg
    air cleaner.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 214

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
I am looking for an original air filter housing / oil bath.
Mike

Mike, while Lyndon gave some production years stating when the oil bath air filters were used, I'm adding some additional information here with photos.

The first photo below is on TorNorway's Snow Trac. It shows the "oil bath" type air filter that was used on the early model Snow Tracs.

Photo #2 below shows a later style original air filter that is in my Snow Trac. This type of air filter was probably used on 85% of all the Snow Tracs, Trac Master and Snow Master units produced.

Photo #3 below shows a modern after market air filter. This photo is of Arlow's Snow Trac up in British Columbia. Low profile after market air filters are very easy to find for VW engines and come in a variety of shapes. Arlow's unit is a rectangle, but I also have one that was added to my engine (after the above photo was taken) and mine is a round style. I've also seen oval shaped units.

Attachments

• 1oilbath.jpeg
    1oilbath.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 1new style.jpg
    1new style.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 1after.jpeg
    1after.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 181

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Thanks Bob. I am looking for #2.

Did you check with Christer Morland? He has original parts. Might have one of those.