• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What to do with this rack? Input requested!

kgracey

Hey guys,

I've got a policy of managing this snowcat, which I call "arrested decay". It sure as heck ain't going to be restored - that I know for certain. But the roof rack has got my interest. Looks like it was painted with some kind of baked enamel. Portions of paint are coming off, other spots are rusted. It was built with a stick welder and many of the joints are quite sloppy - I can clean them up and weld where they "forgot" to make complete joints.

So how would you guys handle a minor renovation of this rack? If I just clean it up then it'll be a much nicer machine. I've thought about having it sandblasted ($300 - everything costs more in CA) then powder coated (another $300) or painted by me ($?). I've also thought about sanding it down with belt sanders and wire brushes, perhaps using a chemical paint stripper.

Looks like I can remove it quite easily, too.

If I don't powder coat, what is the absolute best, strongest paint I could apply on my own?

What would you guys do?

And I welcome any insults, jokes, etc. in exchange for input and ideas.

Thanks all!

Ken

Attachments

• Bombardier Snowcat.jpg
    Bombardier Snowcat.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 278

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
You might consider spraying it with a truck bed liner material in a color to match or closely match the snow cat color.

According to SnoOps it covers up everything except a Kristi....:yum: A Kristi will just keep on rusting and rusting and rusting...:yum:

kgracey

Is truck bed liner spray a smooth finish, or a rough surface? I'm envisioning those plastic truck bed inserts, which have a rough texture. That's an interesting idea, for certain. I'm thinking about using black.

You guys will see that I ask a lot of questions, and it'll start to look like I can't make a decision. There's a reason why, though. I make decisions all day long at work, and at the end of the day when I get to play with this thing it's totally different: fun, no pressure, and no timeline. That's why I ask a lot of questions.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Is truck bed liner spray a smooth finish, or a rough surface? I'm envisioning those plastic truck bed inserts, which have a rough texture. That's an interesting idea, for certain. I'm thinking about using black.

The rough texture covers up the imperfections/mistakes/errors and is more forgiving as applied. Black goes with any color and would look good. It is also usually cheaper than the colors in bed liner materials. :thumb:

kgracey

How tough is this stuff? I guess it must be durable if it's made for a truck bed. You're totally right about the fact that a somewhat porous finish will hide imperfections nicely. I imagine that it could have a similar look and feel to some of the textured powder coat finishes.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Go with Southern Polyurethane's bed liner. A kit which is enough to do a full size truck bed cost about $139. The reusable gun is $32. A roof rack will use alot since you will get alot wasted. Its not a big deal. Also before you spray it find a bunch of card board and get the nozzel adjusted to the pattern or roughness you like before you start to spray the rack. First sand it down to bare metal and wipe it down with oil and grease remover. Then spray away after it dries. Read the directions and talk to the owner of South Poly Urethane. He is a great guy and will tell you exactly how to do it! I would also have other areas prepped for the left over you will have. Undercoating is a great place to do this since you wont knpow eactly how much left over you will have.

Vance

IMHO, the truck bed liner is the best but for what you want it sounds like overkill...

I'd hit it with a flap-disk and then rustoleum gloss black or rustoleum hammered black. The nice thing about paint is you can touch it up - easy.

Vance

Okay, I just have to add... Do you NEED the rack? Especially up there? It is huge and hard to get to. I think I'd make it smaller and move it down on the back of the bed or gone...

Last edited:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Vance has a valid point. Bedliner is excellent for permanent fixes. If this is a low budget protectant then go with his advice. Grinder with a flap disk will have it sanded down in no time. If that cat was mine that montrosity of a rack would be removed. It looks like it weighs about 120 to 150 lbs and will only get caught up in branches. Your cat would look 100% better and be lighter to boot. If you need the storage ok. But if not loose it. Also you can always remove it and if it turns out you do need it then put her back on. Personally I would prefer a smaller rack (what did I just say?) that would just bolt up to the roof top. Small, light and easy to access.

One advantage I do see with the current rack is it will help keep branches from slapping into your windshield.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cut that thing off and store it in the back yard in case you need the steel for another project. It's gonna get hung up on things like trees and power lines and somebodys kid will probably fall off of it into the tracks. Plus it's ugly. Turn it into a skid trailer and pull it with your pindle hook if you need the carry capacity. (you asked)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll stay out of the "keep it or loose it" discussion/options.

I'll pile on with the paint it with Rustoleum option.

You mentioned concerns about welds and such. If you spray the bed liner material on that rack, it'll cover/hide any cracks, weld breaks... This includes new ones. If you do stress it or bang against limbs or whatever, any new breaks or cracks won't be known and you may have a safety issue you wouldn't know about.

Bulldog1401

Anybody seen my marbles?
SUPER Site Supporter
Keep the part that protects the cab...cut the rest off, make a new bottom, and move it to the rear deck. You get the best of both worlds this way. :thumb:

jask

if you have a rear passenger cab and need the overhead storage I guess I would reweld and paint..... otherwise lose that boat anchor...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
POR-15?

http://www.por15.com

Works great. Addresses rust. Fairly cheap. Wears well.

Great product, I've used it on old cars for years. If it is put on a place where the sun shines on it continously it has to be topcoated with paint. UV rays will make it fail if by itself. JFYI

BTW the original post about this roof rack is from 2006...

Regards, Kirk

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
I would go with a product called Hammerite here in the UK and a hammered finish,it is tough and stops rust,comes in various colors and is quick drying.

Not the rack i was expecting or hoping to see.:whistling: