• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

vw INDUSTRIAL TDI smokes

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
my pistenbully kicks out black smoke when you take off and when at a constant speed/rpm it send puffs of black our but not at the same intervals. Just hitting the throttle at idle you get black smoke.
I thought about doing the injectors but lately I been thinking on having a shop check it out. I don't have a vw code scanner to see.
the meter has 600hrs and may only had oil changes.
suggestions? as you can see it is east to get to.
2004 1.9 liter TDI 85 hp industrial VW 4 cylinder
jim.

DSC00648.jpg

Last edited:

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Before you get to far into it, check for restrictions with intake i.e. air filter, ducting damage, etc. I like the easy fixes.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Maybe the shop put tape over the intake to keep the dirt and sparks out while they were doing the frame work.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It has a mass air flow thingy and a small turbo. I never checked the air filter but was told it was serviced 35 hrs ago.
it fires right up when cool but warm it takes 15 seconds and runs good . it has two computers one the same as a a vw car with a few things deleted and a lind computer for the hydro.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It has a mass air flow thingy and a small turbo. I never checked the air filter but was told it was serviced 35 hrs ago.
it fires right up when cool but warm it takes 15 seconds and runs good . it has two computers one the same as a a vw car with a few things deleted and a lind computer for the hydro.

I have never seen a diesel with a mass air flow meter. Since hey have no throttle plate they run full air all of the time. Fuel is what regulates speed and power. No need to measure air intake.

Lack of air will make them smoke, just as too much fuel will. Check the air filter of course. If it makes good power, the turbo is probably OK. Does it have a check engine warning light on the dash? If there are error codes it would be on...

Regards, Kirk

jask

The Toyota 3B uses a throttle plate to create pressure differential to actuat the injector pump diaphragm.... I think Mercedes even used it at one point as well.
I would go over the boost hoses for cracks and loose clamps.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The sensor is most likely a altitude compensation device similar to the powerstrokes.

I might tend to think They use the barometric pressure to trim fuel. Cars don't have it.... at least the half of dozen that have passed thru here didnot have them.

I think Teledawg hit it on the head.

TDI's do smoke a bit while they are working. I would think a hydro cat would tend to be under load quite steady.

Oh and the starting quicker when cold is the Glow plug relay they dont GP above 32 F

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have the ross tec software that came from pb when it was new. a cd and two cables for a laptop. it has two plugs one for each system . hydraulics and engine previous owner said this was important to have and he carried it with him in the cab to reset and read codes. not much good if you don't know how to use it.
jim

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
thanks for the link. it seems I must have used the site before. I see I am registered .
jim

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Jim the software is real intuitive, the software will prompt you if you are doing anything that is a permanent flash to the ECU.

I found the experience very user friendly. the hardest part for me was getting the computer to look at the USB port first. the VCDS (vag comm) is real organized.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
took it to a vw shop today. the computer said nothing wrong and they said the puffs of smoke is like a injector hanging and since it couldn't be made to do it just run some of their german cleaner in the fuel. I bought enough for two tanks . snake oil??
the crank position sensor was showing some slight problems but running good. so I got a new one to stick in .
the black smoke looked ok to them. they said it was like one of the early diesels.
asked about valves and was told they are hydrolic and don't need adjusting.
was told to run the rpms a little higher than my usual 2700 .
jim

jp11

Jim

I've had great luck with my Mercedes diesels using this stuff. I have ported it in a gatorade bottle to run straight on nothing but the cleaner. loop the return back to the bottle.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2005-Diesel-Purge/dp/B00CPL8OVE"]Amazon.com: Liqui Moly 2005 Diesel Purge - 500 ml: Automotive[/ame]

jask

I have had- and do run a few diesels- and have found that old fuel is an issue this time of year.. also when the weather gets cold I use "Howes" additive... pretty sure it ups the jell point... but with inline injectors like my Toyota 3B it really seems to lube things up and keep everything happy . I take my Diesels for a highway drive regularly when they are stop and go around town as they need to get hot to cook off the carbon and gunk of cold running.