• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What were you doing when this happened?

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
I was at work.. listening to the radio. OMG! It was tragic.

NBC
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC1V9Eg9Cfw"]YouTube- Challenger Disaster with live Comment 1986[/ame]

CNN
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4JOjcDFtBE"]YouTube- Challenger Disaster Live on CNN[/ame]

Ronald Reagan's reassuring words. Saw it live.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JKIZ7j20EA"]YouTube- Ronald Reagan's remarks on the Challenger Shuttle explosion[/ame]

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Not only do I remember where I was but what song was on the radio at the time. And every time this song is played today I think of that day. I was at work at my office.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqRTtkEHrA4"]Sarah[/ame]

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was at home.
My older son Jeff was at grade school, Ty was just 3 and was sitting on the floor playing with legos.
My Mother called me and asked me if I had the television on.

Wow, that sure brings back a lot of memories from that era.

Last edited:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Watching it live during sophomore geometry class.

(I was walking from fourth grade to my cub scout pack meeting when Reagan was shot.)

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
More for anyone who wishes more info.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr1TMyxArXk"]YouTube- Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion - ABC News - 1/28/1986[/ame]

rc2james

Site Supporter
I was working midnights at the paper mill and sleeping when it happened. I could believe the news when I woke up and saw the reports.
Events such as this embed themselves into our lives for an eternity. I can also remember exactly where I was at when President Kennedy was shot, the loss of the second space shuttle.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I was overseas at the time this happened and didn't find out about till the next day.

Trakternut

I was standing in the scale room of the grain elevator where I worked when a farmer customer came in and shared the news. He'd heard it on the radio while driving in.

Gina

I was in class when at community college when someone coming back late from break walked in to tell us. I couldn't believe it didn't seem to effect most of the class, but then most were 18-19-year-olds. Only the professor and one other "adult" student voiced distress over it.

I couldn't watch your clips. It still makes me sad to see those faces. I'm assuming at least one of them shows Krista McAuliffe's parents watching as it blows up.

grizzer

At work, in a buyers office, explaining to him why I wanted to buy better quality materials to improve product quality. His head had exploded as the cost increase was significant per pound & he bought 100's of tons of the stuff. We made TV's and they were on in offices.

Gina

That's the clip that still hits to the core. :neutral:

Doesn't it? I saw it once, not realizing who they were. I did my best to avoid it ever since. My heart and goes out to their families. I cannot imagine watching such an exciting event only to see your loved one blown up.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Was working and went in the cad room to pull up a blueprint and a supervisor told me about it. I remember watching Reagan's address later that evening. Sad day for sure.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Was at home watching the launch on TV, was waiting to see some kind of ejection with chutes, figured they had to have some kind of safety built in... was sadly disapointed... they are suppose to have that now... maybe..

Gatorboy

I was attending the University of Florida. That day I was working at my job at the pizza restaurant, which had televisions on for the customers to watch while eating. We had a line of customers and when the shuttle blew up, the whole place went silent and everyone just stopped what they were doing and stared at the television screen.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had just went in a bar because some guys I worked with just got their pinkslips were we were working to buy them lunch to say good by.

tom

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
I was sitting in 9th grade science class (Mr. Jepsonne, Earth Science) and the principal interrupted classes to the whole school - by playing the radio-news over the PA system - talking about the accident.

Sad...

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
My memory is of the news commentator's "no duh" statement: "Obviously a major malfunction".

I was a college sophomore at work in a law office. One of the partners called all of us in to watch the special report in his office. Florida had a nice commemorative license plate in honor of the Challenger. My dad had one.

Reno

My situation was unique here. I was in the Program Control office of the space shuttle mid body operation at AF plant 19 operated by General Dynamics in San Diego. Space shuttle was only one of the many projects I was involved with during my tenure of 30 years with GD. I had stepped outside to sit in my car a moment and smoke a cigarette (gave that up 21 years ago), I was listening to the radio to see how our launch went. When it exploded, I went back in and was telling the crew about what I heard when our phones started ringing. It was a nightmare day for us.

BamsBBQ

i was 16...in the 10th grade and on my way to being kicked out of that particular class for being an ass:ermm:

i remember the conversation somewhat... i made a bad joke about what NASA stood for...needless to say it wasnt nice:sad:

i apologize some 24 yrs later...SORRY