• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

POLL: What brand snowcat do you own?

What brand snowcat do you own/operate?

• AKTIV Snow Trac, Trac Master, or Snow Master

Votes: 103 14.2%
  • KRISTI KT2, KT3, KT4 or KT7

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • THIOKOL/DMC/LMC (any of the numerous models)

Votes: 187 25.8%
  • BOMBARDIER (J5, Bombi, B12, C18, etc)

Votes: 152 21.0%
  • TUCKER (classic steel track)

Votes: 72 9.9%
  • TUCKER (rubber track or terra track)

Votes: 61 8.4%
  • VMC

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Other (please list the brand/model in the thread below)

Votes: 62 8.6%
  • NONE, but I enjoy the Snowcat forums anyway

Votes: 40 5.5%
  • NONE, I visit the ForumsForums but don't frequent the snowcat area.

Votes: 42 5.8%
  • NONE YET, but I am looking for a snowcat.

Votes: 76 10.5%

• Total voters

Bartruff

1975 GMC Jimmy on 32 in tracks. 350ci, Turbo 350
It was manufactured by: DEMAC INDUSTRIES Vancouver B.C. Canada
They were made originally for work in the oil fields, able to go over most muskeg,swamp,snow etc. Since I bought it I've not seen another but have met many people who have at ski resorts or used them in the oil patch. I've recently found the original U.S. & Cdn. Patent applications/description. I use it at the lodge I operate in the Selkirks Mtns. British Columbia.
Looks pretty functional...where are you located ? I can't think of a single acre of land in BC that I don't like..not one....but the Selkirks are special even there in God's Country...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Looks pretty functional...where are you located ? I can't think of a single acre of land in BC that I don't like..not one....but the Selkirks are special even there in God's Country...

You obviously haven't spent time in Surrey! :whistle: :hide:

Bartruff

You obviously haven't spent time in Surrey! :whistle: :hide:
Well...that is true but I sure prefer Vancouver to Seattle.. I guess I was thinking of larger geographical areas...I am sure there are some dumps or mining sites or swamps etc...but you get my point..I hope

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
1975 GMC Jimmy on 32 in tracks. 350ci, Turbo 350
It was manufactured by: DEMAC INDUSTRIES Vancouver B.C. Canada
They were made originally for work in the oil fields, able to go over most muskeg,swamp,snow etc. Since I bought it I've not seen another but have met many people who have at ski resorts or used them in the oil patch. I've recently found the original U.S. & Cdn. Patent applications/description. I use it at the lodge I operate in the Selkirks Mtns. British Columbia.

great to have you as a member, can you post a larger picture?

Tetonka

Thanks for the welcome.
I'm new to owning one.I'll try to attach pics. I looked at many for my particular application and budget. This one is pretty basic and easy to work on. A bit crude in steering but does the job. I'm 15 kms in over snow in winter. Carries passengers also. I get copious amounts of snow here. I don't have to climb in elevation for my access but have to deal with some avalanche paths that create side hills on my road in. I'm looking at putting a blade on it to cut crossings on them next winter.
This is a great forum, I've learned lots from just reading the postings even before joining.
I'm in the learning curve about what to have on hand for spare parts here and it seems the drive cog looks similar to some I have seen on other cats. Was thinking it may be good to have a spare one or do they not just break all of the sudden?

I'm in the Selkirk mtns, near Revelstoke B.C. Canada.
35 kms south of the Rogers Pass.
UTM 458 637
www.mountainhostel.ca

Patrick

Attachments

• IMGP0847x.jpg
    IMGP0847x.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 890
  • IMGP1054x.jpg
    IMGP1054x.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 889
  • IMGP1063x.jpg
    IMGP1063x.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 885

Bartruff

WOW...I checked out your web site....beautiful...I am by there just about every year...is the road open to Jeeps in the Summer ???

Tetonka

Bartuff-
The road is now open in summer. It has been shut for over two years because a rockfall that took out the canyon bridge in 2006. About 100 tons of rock came down on it. My two wheeled vehicles were on the inside when it happened (it's happened before so I leave something inside always) and I've been packing jerry cans of fuel/food/guests/truck parts etc over it for two years. Will be nice to drive in again once snow melts. *until it does it again.

There's a pic lower down on my website of me standing on the top of the mass of rock on the bridge. You cant see the bridge under it but the rock wall to the right is sheer and then it drops off the left 50 meters down to the river.

utahwilson

Tetonka,

One question: Do forum members get a discount? :biggrin: Simply breath taking scenery in those photographs. Driven through Banff to Lake Louise, but never saw anything like that. I guess its time to get off the asphalt to see some more of interior BC.

teledawg

Bartuff-
The road is now open in summer. It has been shut for over two years because a rockfall that took out the canyon bridge in 2006. About 100 tons of rock came down on it. My two wheeled vehicles were on the inside when it happened (it's happened before so I leave something inside always) and I've been packing jerry cans of fuel/food/guests/truck parts etc over it for two years. Will be nice to drive in again once snow melts. *until it does it again.

There's a pic lower down on my website of me standing on the top of the mass of rock on the bridge. You cant see the bridge under it but the rock wall to the right is sheer and then it drops off the left 50 meters down to the river.
Welcome to the bottemless-wallet world of snowcats! :w00t2:

That is a keen place you got there. Do you happen to have any info on your geothermal refrigeration and microhydo system? I am working on a off-the-grid alpine cabin here in Alaska and am looking something just like what you have installed.:wink:

couchloafer

SUPER Site Supporter
Ditto Fred! I would also love to find out more about your geothermal refrigeration and microhydro system. We have just started looking into "off the grid" living but mostly have looked at solar and wind.......hydro is intriguing

dirk

here my snow trac, i´ll go and try it this weekend.
i just bought it so lets see what it can do.

Attachments

• P1040373.jpg
    P1040373.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 683
  • P1040374.jpg
    P1040374.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 682

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been on the forum for a while now but havn't posted on this thead i have an early 60's model st-4 wich i rebuilt this fall has an upggraded 1600 bug motor in it planning on pimping it out come iditarod time to news crews tourist who are up here for the iditarod sled dog race and hunting guids who need equipment staged for hunting season hope to cover the cost of traveling to other comunitys here in western ak whle trying to enjoy our long winters or on hunting trips.

Attachments

• white alice 005.jpg
    white alice 005.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 632
1947 424 1948 423 1949 422 1940's Tucker Trailer
1957 222 (for sale or trade)
1965 442 1966 443 1967 433
Tucker Fever is an incurable disease.....!!!

Robert

Wow, no wonder why its hard to find old tuckers ol muther tucker owns them all. I'm so envious. I hope to own more in the future but my hands are full with just one. Please poast some pics.

spoolvalve

Hello to all! Proud owner of a Spryte 1202a #322 3rd spryte resto project in the past 20 years. Parts! parts! I need more parts ! Del

movin

I groom snowmobile trails south and up the east side of Crater Lake National Park with an OSSA 1998 tiller Tucker 2000 wide track.
I am working on a 1964 Thiokol 1202 A or b? It needs the under carriage rebuilt. Ready to pull it in the shop. It came with a matching Thiokol trailer. It is a 36 inch wide track. OC 12 with reduction. Wonder..is the drive sprocket and bogie's offset to put the wider tracks on??

shopman

1962 Thiokol Trackmaster 4T10 - Resides above Pitkin, CO at 10,000 ft. A lot of snow is coming, really :clap: Soon... there is usually a lot by now!

Attachments

• Cat_Truck.jpg
    Cat_Truck.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 539

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have been away for a few days so did not see this poll before. I can't work out how to vote, but please add me to the list of ST4 snowtracs as I have two. They are the best!!!

dpaulson

Hi. I'm new here. We have a 75 Bombardier muskeg carrier with a diesel engine. A few guys got together and purchased it and an older 8' snowmobile groomer. This will be our first winter. I hope it works good.

ripstorm

Hi guys,
I have a 67 bombardier sw48 sidewalk plow that I mounted a 20 ton wrecker winch on the back for skidding logs out of the woods. Its not really a snow cat more like a snowdog(growling chewing and barking):yum:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome to dpaulson and ripstorm !

I hope you will both check in during the winter and tell us some of your adventures !!!

noregularjoe

Hi,
I bought a Thiokol 1450 Super Imp. It's in pretty good shape and am finishing up a few comfort/safety modifications. I am getting excited to try it out in some steep powder that has finally strted piling up around here this weekend!

noregularjoe

Since posting to this thread the first time, I have aquired four more cats. Have been busy gathering them into one spot and finally accomplished this task. Now comes the fun part of deciding what to do with each of them, may possibly be interested in selling one of them to finance the repairs of the rest. The list is as follows:

2 DMC 1450 SUPER IMPS, 1 with with approximately 300 hours and the other with around 400 hours.

1 THIOKOL SUPER IMP, with approximately 950 hours.

1 LMC 1500 with approximately 1500 hours.

1 TUCKER 1542.

All run, and am currently fixing up the Thiokol Super Imp, as you may have seen in previous posts and pictures.
Where are you located? I am in North Idaho.

wakeupcall

GOLD Site Supporter
Hello, Iam located in Colorado. Still have 3 sno-cats and having a great time running them. 1- super imp, 1- lmc 1500, and 1-Tucker 1542.:biggrin:

noregularjoe

Howdy,
I couldn't decide on a Tucker vs the Super Imp WT for backcountry skiing approach and access to my cabin in Idaho. I went with the IMP due to its compact size. I am going to try it out this weekend. I am worried it wont have the muscle or floatation to climb in deep powder. I guess I will find out! How do you find the differences in your machines?

benz9

Hello all from the national capitol area (Canada). Wow, what a "read" it has been in the last 5 days going thru all your posts. I just put a deposit on a 1973 SW-48 and picking it up this Saturday. Can't wait to really own my first tracked beast. I know, I know, y'all want pics...but I have to pick it up first. See y'all on Saturday.