• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

IMP Fuel Consumption

desertsnow

As our first outing with the IMP draws near, i'm am having a difficult time deciding how much fuel to take along.... We will be looking at a about a 50 mile round trip in and out and possibly a few short outings in the middle. Terrain should be moderate and will likely be over groomed roads.
Any feedback related to fuel consumption will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 163

undy

Might vary a lot, depending on altitude, snow conditions, terrain, operating conditions of the cat, etc., I'd think.

Unless you get someone to offer knowledgeable figures, the prudent answer would be: More than you could ever imagine needing, and by the time you're run through half of whatever amount you take, turn around.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
1.5 gal.hr X (50mile + 4mph) = X

You can vary the speed to suit your situation. 4Mph maybe to high or low, but a good average for new trails. Snowmobile trials may let you go faster. You may also use 2 gal/ hour. It shouldn't take more than that.

My Snow Trac with a 60HP VW engine uses about 1.5 gal/hr..

Then add 10% to be sure..:wink:

Regards, Kirk

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sorry it should have had a division in there. My eyes aren't so good some times.

The formula should have been

gal/hour X (50 mile/mph) = x gal. of fuel used.

I would use a 2 gal/hr rate for your V4 Imp engine to be safe. Most of my running is on fairly level ground here. If you are climbing alot you may use more, of if the snow is deep.

You can always keep tabs on your fuel level and turn around at the half empty point or just before.

In time you will learn what your machine takes to run. Enjoy the learning!

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
same type of trip I take one full tank and 3 5gallon cans and never use all my gas in a day.

jp11

I don't have a gauge.

How much does the stock tank hold? I just put on a combo tool/fuel box that has another 20 in it.

JP

desertsnow

300 H and H, i understood where you were going with the math. The end result is just a bit over what i had initially intended to take along, but i think i will go the cautious route and add some additional!

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
first ,I wouldn't take off without running it some. you would then know the fuel use and have any bug worked out. but then the thrill of the unexpected.

desertsnow

first ,I wouldn't take off without running it some. you would then know the fuel use and have any bug worked out. but then the thrill of the unexpected.

The plan is to take a couple of test runs prior to the "trip". Things are looking up for this weekend!