• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol 2100C Starter

meanjean

Anyone have any idea as to what starter I need to buy for a Ford industrial engine, I believe it to be a 390 CID? I looked "Ford starters" up for a 390, but the listings for these engines are listed as for 1964, 66, 67, 68, 69 Ford Torino, Galaxie, Mustang... etc. Need to replace my unit since it sticks pretty much every time I start get up.. If not, maybe someone has a good new-old stock that I can buy?? Let me know. Thanks! J.

vintagebike

Here is a screen shot of the 2100b 391 industrial/truck starter (#24) page from my parts manual. I hope it has the numbers you need. Sorry, sideways scan.
IMG_5583.PNG

meanjean

Thanks vintagebike. I saved the image to my downloads file, and simply rotated it! Now, lets see if the number matches anything congruent... Ill let you know how I make out!!!

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I suggest finding a QUALITY remanufacture and rebuild the one you have. Could be better than a new one.

vintagebike

I'm going for a Hi-Torque gear reduction starter for my 300 2100b. No more hitting the starter with a hammer every 3-4 starts. They will custom build you just about anything. Even for a Tucker flathead Dodge/Chrysler 6 or a Kitten Lucas. .:brows:

meanjean

I took mine apart today, well at least the side cover where the actuator is loc, and found it full of rust.. I suspect that is why it was so difficult to start. And yes, a hammer was always handy when I wanted to start her up.. Found a starter on eBay for about $69 that has all of the matching numbers, even a line item in the applications bloc for Ford Industrial Engines CP-... So hopefully, might be the correct one. Free ship, so its worth a try. Im sure I could pay that amount at NAPA.

meanjean

Problem solved!!! I did some research and found that the same starter was used on the Ford100 series trucks in the '70's, with a 6.3l engine. So for about $63, I got a replacement. No big deal y any means!!!

Gren

That engine is probably the Ford 391 Industrial engine not a 390. The 391 was used in a lot of Ford trucks.