• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Gas tank issues,

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Greetings all:
I went out to the trac this weekend to fix a couple of nagging things, and she wouldn't start. On troubleshooting I was getting no fuel. The issue was what appeared to be a piece of beige plastic in the fuel pick up inside the tank. Doing what I probably should have done when I bought it, I used a flex cam to look into the tank. Yikes, and similar statements. Pulled the tank and the photo is what I got out. Never have I seen so much varnish. Also as troubling was the "plastic" that was hanging loose and in pieces. I assume it was some type of coating applied after market. It was very porous though and had lots of pin holes.

I knew I was going to need to replace the tank as the sediment bowl was getting rust in it, but no time do do that now. Does anyone recognize the coating and can give an idea of a solvent that I can use to remove it? The tank is not leaking, and I need to remove the remnants before it plugs up halfway up some ski resorts run in the near future. Short of that I'm going to break out the pressure washer and remove what I can that way and put a secondary screen around the pick up to keep the end from getting plugged.

Attachments

• gas.jpg
    gas.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 261

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that I have real internet. The web is full of horror stories of this stuff. Most point to a product called " Keem ". Ugh! The local radiator shop won't do gas tanks anymore, suggested MEK and/OR goofoff.

Yuck

TEW

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I put a plastic one on the running board. it works well for me and keeps the weight in the rear.
snowtracrebuild001.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Is your machine running the original tank? I have read about the liner material in these VW built tanks comming loose. For some reason I was under the impression it was black in color...

Get a length of chain, say 3/8" 4-5 ft and put it in the tank with what ever solvent you choose. Sloosh the tank all around with the chain sliding around inside. It's what the old boys do around here when restoring old farm tractors....

After enongh of that, and you will be the judge of that, there are modern day sealers that you mix up and introduce inside the tamk with the same tumble motions you used the the chain to coat the inside. Eastwood sells a kit I am sure.. Maybe your local parts house will too?..

Good luck and do a good job repreesenting the Snow Trac owners out there at the Meow.!!!

Regards, Kirk

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
As a kid I tried lots of stuff Kreme and others in metal atc atv and dirt bikes. Never worked will. One of the white sealers actually leAched out on a moped I had causing a white paste in carb.

Temp Marine tank would be a quick reliable solution

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
I think it's the original tank. Looks like the pictures anyway. I'm going to clean real well and hope for the best for the Cat's Meow . Either find someone to pickle the tank (so far, haven't found a shop that will do gas tanks anymore) and recoat with POR or take to the FBO here in town and have the aero shop do it this summer. There are few,if any, people more anal about gas tanks than airplane folks.

I've been running non-ethanol 92 octane with sta-bil. So I don't think it's a alcohol issue causing the lining to peel off. I could do as Jim did and put a generic tank outside, but that is where my jerry cans are now and I don't want to lose more storage space.

And to think I bought a cat to save money...

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
Another complication> The tank has a longitudinal baffle that makes any cleaning real hard.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
oregon retinners in hubbard oregon, they can clean the tank and then re-tin it, works very well, they can even repair rust out on the tank, they have done countless tanks for me over the years, pleased to see you are bringing your sno trac, great machine, tuckerville