• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1985 1342B project

Tucky1342

Well it is time to do some work on the Tucker this Summer. I decided to have the motor rebuilt and the guys down at RAD auto and machine in Ludlow Mass knew exactly what I wanted and needed done. They are going to blueprint the motor and custom cut a Cam for best power for grooming. While that is going on I will redo the interior. Any idea where I can get new seats?

Attachments

• IMG_00000102.jpg
    IMG_00000102.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 746
  • 100_0192.jpg
    100_0192.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 745
  • 100_0203.jpg
    100_0203.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 763

Tucky1342

Actually I am in NH. bought this one in Maine a few years ago and have been grooming Trails for the local club. I was looking at this seats, just wondering how comfortable they were after several hours in the seat!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't spend more Two or so hours in them but the fit nice and look orig.

Come down to haverhill and have a seat try it out.

Tucky1342

I may get in touch with you and a take a look at yours once I do a little more research. I spend between 4-6 hours at a time grooming at least three times a week, so need something comfortable and would like a little higher back. I will post some interior pictures as that progresses. Pulling the dash this weekend to start on rewiring the switches.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice looking rig! While you have the motor pulled, have a good look for cracks at the welds on the frame.

Tucky1342

Thanks for the input, We did a quick de-grease and the frame looks good so far. I am going to put some fresh paint on the frame, etc... and do a better job cleaning up under the hood before the motor goes in, so will be taking a much better look for cracks! Pulled the gas tank and gave it a little epoxy patching on a couple of small spots that looked tender. Then a fresh coat of Omaha Orange! Pulling the tank gave me some better access so I can take a good look around there and at the Hyd. hoses. I had the radiator checked while it was out and they found a few weeping spots, so that is fixed and off the worry list! Gave it a new paint job with black high heat.

Tucky1342

My Tucker has an Allison AT 545 Transmission. It had been shifting hard between gears and could not get much change when trying to adjust the mechanical modulator. I was going to change from the mechanical modulator to a vacuum modulator? Does anyone have any feedback or opinions on this??

Thanks

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My Tucker has an Allison AT 545 Transmission. It had been shifting hard between gears and could not get much change when trying to adjust the mechanical modulator. I was going to change from the mechanical modulator to a vacuum modulator? Does anyone have any feedback or opinions on this??

Thanks

Make sure governor is working easy to get at under round cover on the back
They stick sometimes

Tucky1342

I ended up getting the smittybuilt high back bucket seats from 4WD. They only needed a little work to fit the original seat mounts. They look great and are pretty comfortable. Keeping them in the shop until the rest of the interior is complete. Will be getting the motor back this week. It is on the dyno for break in and will get the numbers on it for torque curve, HP, etc...Should get the motor put back in the next few weeks and will update with some pics. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Frame looked good all around.

Tucky1342

The motor is done and broken in on the dyno. The numbers came in at 215HP and 338 ft/lbs of torque at 2300rom. Thank for the RV cam suggestion, cant wait to get it in the cat this weekend. Have a few items to get this week.

Attachments

• on the dyno.jpg
    on the dyno.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 475

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Great idea to break in the engine on the dyno. Sometimes it is hard to get the right conditions on the snow to properly seat the rings. It also removes the worry about leaks and all the other first time start up worms. Is that the 340 Engine? Sure looks good.

Tucky1342

The motor is a 318 industrial. early 80's vintage. Will put the new exhaust manifolds on it this week. The guys at RAD machine did me right on this rebuild. I spent a few more bucks on the small items but they did the details that can bite you, so I should have no worries.

groomer08

this isnt by chance the gilead NH groomer is it? looks familiar.
anyhow, great job on the overhaul.
our 88 tucker with the allison seems to be a finicky shifter too, you either have to rev it way up and back off to force a shift, or manualy shift it.
would the governor be something to look at for this issue as well?
but then to reinforce what he said about the hard shifting, our 05 with cummins, seems to slam into gear as well, ie hard shifts, but i thought maybe this had more to do with the low final drive ratio making the shift seem harder then it would be at a higher speed with less drawbar pull?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
we had to tighten up the tv cables on the bv 206's in the military, as the soft shifting caused too much slippage and premature transmission failure that may be one reason for hard shifting. the other may be just a governor or modulator deficiency it may not be that hard to fix or it may be some thing you have to live with.

Tucky1342

I have seen that Tucker in Gilead ME and it is similar. I am actually in Washington NH and there is another 85 in Hillsboro. This machine is in a quite a few pictures on the web. I have the original paperwork and it started out in northern MN. and had the stacks on it, then it ended up in Maine and I bought it up in Farmington a few years ago.
We are going to pull the mechanical modulator and check to see if it is clean and working correctly first, it could be just the cable is bad. then may try a vacuum modulator to see if it makes a difference....I'll keep you posted

Tucky1342

I finally have it in the snow and grooming. Took this pic the other night

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 350

Tucky1342

Update on the shifting issues. Put a vacuum modulator on the Allison and it made a huge difference. Smoothed out the shifting nicely. Can control the shift with the gas pedal now without the BANG between gears.

Tucky1342

Anyone interested in what I have been doing to Tucky this off Season? With no snow last winter to get it out on the trails I had some time on my hands.... When doing the post season inspection I had lost a lot of compression in one cylinder in my brand new motor,down to 20 lbs......I can upload pictures what we found when we pulled it and tore it down again. It only had 57 hours on the rebuild. thought you guys might want to guess first...?? with now more time I decided to put some new rubber on the front...maybe bit off a little more than I should have and slightly over the top. I will upload some of those pictures. just starting to put it all back together this week, so will try and keep the camera handy.

Anyone interested in what I have been doing to Tucky this off Season? With no snow last winter to get it out on the trails I had some time on my hands.... When doing the post season inspection I had lost a lot of compression in one cylinder in my brand new motor,down to 20 lbs......I can upload pictures what we found when we pulled it and tore it down again. It only had 57 hours on the rebuild. thought you guys might want to guess first...?? with now more time I decided to put some new rubber on the front...maybe bit off a little more than I should have and slightly over the top. I will upload some of those pictures. just starting to put it all back together this week, so will try and keep the camera handy.

Always interested in snowcats with pics!:clap:

Tucky1342

added a couple of pictures of the cylinder after we pulled the piston. Ever seen this before?

Attachments

• IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0384.jpg
    IMG_0384.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 309

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The engine builder did not secure the wrist pin. They owe you a new block.This is one way of finding out what the stroke is, but expensive.

Last edited:

Tucky1342

You got it! The wrist pin was loose in the connecting rod. I guess this Chrysler 318 does not have clips on the pins they are just press fit. Upon more investigation the pin was slightly undersized and the connecting rod a little larger. Either way you can see it was not good when we slid the piston out. The GOOD NEWS is that the owner of RAD machine took full responsibility and rebuilt the motor, including break in and dyno. for the whopping sum of NOTHING. I have to say that RAD machine in Ludlow Mass stands behind their motors! The motor is back in and should be ready to start it up it later this week.

Tucky1342

So in the absence of a motor I took the front end apart and did a little detailing. I will be putting it together in the next few weeks and will post some finished pics.. here are some of the pieces. I did not like the backing plates being square edged so I ground them all rounded corners...then the paint! decided the bogies could use a little freshening up too. While I was there did a little hardfacing on the grousers...with more paint.

Attachments

• IMG_0421.jpg
    IMG_0421.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 313
  • 100_0651.jpg
    100_0651.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 309
  • 100_0660.jpg
    100_0660.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 100_0668.jpg
    100_0668.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 306

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
You have been busy this summer. Big winter is coming our way as a result. What part of NH are you in?

Hope the shop makes good on your engine. If not give these guys a call: http://www.butler-macmaster.com/ Going to have them do up a Industrial 6 for a future project. One of my friends races supers at Lee and Star and uses them. He tends to win so they must know what they are doing!

Nice pics. Keep them coming