• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

thiokol trackmaster engine

darryl

Has anybody out there ever put a cummins 4bt into a trackmaster601?My machine gets used every year for about a month hauling freight to northern hydro camps and is pulling heavy loads and packing trails.I want to go diesel because of the torque they produce and because 90% of the freight we haul is diesel fuel which means I dont have to haul gas.The 223 ford in it now runs good but is under powered and hard to get parts for.I realy want to go diesel for what I use my machine for.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Darryl, if you are using the Trackmaster as a hauling mule then I suppose the added weight of a diesel engine is not a major concern. For the guys looking to run in deep powder in remote places I'd probably stay away from a diesel engine for reasons that have been discussed in another thread. But it sounds like you make regular supply runs in an established route so some of those fears brought up in another thread may not be much concern to you.

I would only question the need to alter the gearing and if you have thought that out. Most diesel engines spin at lower RPMs than most gasoline engines. So when running the engine to achieve maximum torque, your engine is probably going to be running far slower if it is a diesel. That will have to be compensated for in your drive system or you will end up with a very slow snowcat indeed.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Cummings 5.9 L, Turbo that is in the popular line of Dodge PU's came in Tucker Snow Cats as well as Bombardier "Ski Dozer's". I've ridden in the Bombardier that had one and looked at 4 Tuckers at a ritchie Bros. auction that all had this motor. It's a good choice. Simple, no frills, dependable, good fuel mileage. I driven large Thiokol's that had V8's in them. I can't imagine that the Cummings 5.9 is that much heavier.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Weight wise the BT5.9 is at least twice as heavy as a V-8 gas motor.

Darryl is referring to the 4 cylinder variation of that motor, the BT3.9. Weight wise that will be much heavier than a 4 cyl gas motor, maybe similar to a V-8 gas. Excellent motor never the less. Fuel sipping power-house! 3000 RPM redline, by the way.

Lots of iron in these motors.