• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

THIOKOL 600 REGRISTRATION PAGE

shopman

:weneedpic

We're a demanding little group!
The more pictures the happier we are to help...
Great to have you aboard and have fun in the snow - it is very addicting...

trackmaster

Here is the picture of my 604 guys. If anybody could tell me what year this is that would be greatly appreciated. Serial number plate says 276, but no other infomation is available. It has a Ford 240 CI 6 cylinder

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 686

wesley

The plate pictured is all engraved, unlike standard data plates that are stamped with individual vehicle info printed on. I wonder if early vehicles were done this way?

oldisgold

Not sure why it looks different; this is the way it came when we bought it at an auction a few months ago... Maybe someone else knows why this would be different? Also looking for a clutch drum; part #0122048 (according to the manual). We replaced the clutch plates & it still isn't working right. Either smokes or won't turn! Looks like one drum has been broken & someone welded it back. We are thinking it wasn't correctly done & makes the plates stick & not release properly. Really would like to use the machine without having to adjust them constantly... Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

oldisgold

Oldisgold and anyone else interested - Here is the link to download my Thiokol 4T10 Manual which I scanned and put together as one electronic manual. (I got mine from Peterson a couple years ago - so same one they have) It covers the 4T2 - 4T10 Thiokols.(it is big - 60 mb download)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26442044/4T10_Full_Manual.pdf

:clap::clap::clap:

Thankyou so very much!!!! Took a while to print off; but we really appreciate all your time involved. Thanks again!!

shopman

Thankyou so very much!!!! Took a while to print off; but we really appreciate all your time involved. Thanks again!!

You are very welcome - I made it so I could look at it anytime and scanned the pictures at higher resolution so I could zoom in... that's why it is such a large file.

Now - check your post on Thiokol Tech Issues - I have some more info for you possibly...

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Not sure why it looks different; this is the way it came when we bought it at an auction a few months ago... Maybe someone else knows why this would be different? Also looking for a clutch drum; part #0122048 (according to the manual). We replaced the clutch plates & it still isn't working right. Either smokes or won't turn! Looks like one drum has been broken & someone welded it back. We are thinking it wasn't correctly done & makes the plates stick & not release properly. Really would like to use the machine without having to adjust them constantly... Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Would you post a photo of the rear-end of the cat you're getting running that goes with the engraved plate? Something here doesn't make sense but I don't want to throw out conjecture on my part when photos would help.

weatherby

Would you post a photo of the rear-end of the cat you're getting running that goes with the engraved plate? Something here doesn't make sense but I don't want to throw out conjecture on my part when photos would help.

It's very unlikely a identification plate is ever just screwed on from the manufacturer (hence, the Philips head screws). It's possible this plate does not belong to this unit.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
It's very unlikely a identification plate is ever just screwed on from the manufacturer (hence, the Philips head screws). It's possible this plate does not belong to this unit.

Completely agree with you ... in fact, I'm sure it's not an original plate ... but I don't want to go too far down my worries route ... it's not clear to me about the clutch pack discussion going on so wanted to see a few pics of this 601.

weatherby

Just another interesting word of note;..... The "back side" of this style of ID plate is also stamped identically like the front side, it just lacks the technical details. Interesting why Thiokol would have done this :confused2: and I'm assuming they did this to all ID plates of this style.

Attachments

• Cnv0070.jpg
    Cnv0070.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 599

shopman

Completely agree with you ... in fact, I'm sure it's not an original plate ... but I don't want to go too far down my worries route ... it's not clear to me about the clutch pack discussion going on so wanted to see a few pics of this 601.

I agree also... sounds like a 4T with different ID plate - because as far as I know only the 4T's came with clutch packs and drum as he is describing... Pictures will help us help you Oldisgold. :whistling:

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
I agree also... sounds like a 4T with different ID plate - because as far as I know only the 4T's came with clutch packs and drum as he is describing... Pictures will help us help you Oldisgold. :whistling:

Yup. But, I didn't want to go down that path just yet ...but it would be a case of 'fraud' given that the coincidence of someone 'custom fabricating' a tag (equivalent of changing a VIN), to suit their needs of a 'higher value' snowcat ($601 > $4T)... isn't likely to be 'chance' or 'confusion'.

I can hear it now: "It looked like a 601 so I just thought it was one...same cab right? Just confusion..." Then again it was an auction...

But, who knows ... I don't want to assume. But, there were no 601's with power dividers so that's why I'm confused about the 'clutch pack' issue.

oldisgold

Sorry everyone... health issues kept us away for a while. Will have our daughter take some pictures so we can post them & get some help. We got it very cheap, so are just thankful to have one. Would love any and all info. Hope to get the pictures on here this week. Thanks again!!!

bobby wilkes

I own the 604 that is pictured by socal It was manufactured in 1965 and shipped to san jose ca It ended up in galt ca I purchased it 8 years ago ser no.232 :biggrin:

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I own the 604 that is pictured by socal It was manufactured in 1965 and shipped to san jose ca It ended up in galt ca I purchased it 8 years ago ser no.232 :biggrin:

Pretty rare the Thiokol 604 floaters does it still have the front factory hydraulic winch? Not many ever made

Gwamper

I'm new to this, I have a 69 thiokol model 603 and would like some advice. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20190912_174049.jpg
    20190912_174049.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 381

Farhang

Model 601
Serial #014
Air Force Contract AF4060412043
Registration Number is blank. Anyone know if that meant it had no registration number?
Ship Date 3-29-63 on the tag but on the buildsheet it was 3-22-63 to Duluth Minnesota.
Almost 57 years to the day!

PradoTDI

Hi all! New here, and just got my first snowcat.
Model 601
Serial 223
Ship Date 7/16/1965

It also has a data tag from a 602, Serial 252, go figure. Found it sitting in the woods about 2 hours away, it was part of an estate sale and I just had to have it (price was right too). Plans are for a 2+ year budget restoration.

EDIT: having trouble posting photos...